iPhone 16 Pro users face random freezes and repeated restarts

Posted:
in iPhone edited 2:15PM

Owners of iPhone 16 devices, especially iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max buyers, say that the units are freezing and then restarting themselves seemingly randomly.

Silver iPhone 16 Pro with triple camera lenses on a brown leather surface, logo visible on back.
iPhone 16 Pro and Pro Max models seem to be the most affected by the bug.
Numerous reports

on the Apple Support Communities, as well as on Reddit and other forums on the web suggest that unknown numbers of iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max models are having issues out of the box. In each case, the iPhone suddenly becomes very slow or completely stops responding to input, then abruptly restart themselves

Some reports have said that affected iPhones can also restart from a crash when in standby mode, resulting in showing the home screen when awakened, rather than where the user left off. The recent update to iOS 18.0.1 doesn't seem to solve the issue, and reports suggest the freezing/crashing cycle can occur up to 20 times a day, according to a report from MacRumors.

Even owners who brought back their iPhone 16 models have reported the issue on the replacement iPhone as well. One user reported that restoring the iPhone 16 from a backup on his Mac, rather than iCloud, resolved the issue.

Users say that taking the units to Apple Stores for diagnosis usually results in a simple reinstall of the software, which reportedly does not eliminate the problem. However, some users have claimed that performing a complete erase and reinstall appears to work.

Apple has not commented on the issue, which some users are suggesting that a problem with iCloud syncing may be the cause. If correct, it could be that Apple will be able to fix the issue with a future iOS update.

It's not known what the scale of the problem is, and it is far from affecting all users.

Separately, while the iPhone 16 range overall has seen lackluster sales so far -- except in China -- the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro versions again represent the majority of iPhones bought.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,030member
    Well, I’d love to comment, though I’ve been waiting for my Pro Max since September 15. Estimated delivery was October 4.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I have been experiencing issues with Apple CarPlay with my iPhone 16 Pro. If the interface is not on, I get this odd lower volume sound on whatever I’m listening to something … and sometimes it doesn’t even want to play through my car speakers at all, but after a few minutes, it’ll turn on through the speakers.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 5
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,834member
    quazze said:
    I have been experiencing issues with Apple CarPlay with my iPhone 16 Pro. If the interface is not on, I get this odd lower volume sound on whatever I’m listening to something … and sometimes it doesn’t even want to play through my car speakers at all, but after a few minutes, it’ll turn on through the speakers.
    I've had it not play through the car (or any) speakers when connected to CarPlay too. Thought it was a car bug rather than iOS, but maybe it is iOS.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    This is not only happening with the latest iPhones. I am also experiencing it with my iPhone 14 Pro Max running the previous public beta, and still occurring with the current iOS 18.1 (22B5075a). 
  • Reply 5 of 5
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,536member
    dj2k3000 said:
    This is not only happening with the latest iPhones. I am also experiencing it with my iPhone 14 Pro Max running the previous public beta, and still occurring with the current iOS 18.1 (22B5075a). 
    Thanks for suggesting that it might also be a problem on older models if you're running betas of unreleased iOS versions, rather than specific models. If more people not on the latest iPhones report similar issues, we'll know you were right.