Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad, & Magic Mouse may soon be upgraded with USB-C

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware

Apple's slow transition to USB-C is inching closer to an end with the imminent release of a new Magic Mouse 2, Magic Trackpad 2, and Magic Keyboard, which were referenced in the iOS 18.1 RC.

Small white wireless keyboard with a green border on a light surface.
Magic accessories could finally get USB-C

The Mac, iPad, iPhone, and even AirPods have all moved away from legacy ports to adopt USB-C, but one group of Apple products held out -- Magic accessories. The shift of these products to USB-C has seemed inevitable for years, but few signs appeared until now.

In the iOS 18.1 RC that released on Monday, Aaron Perris, a MacRumors contributor, discovered code referencing new Magic accessories. Those included an updated Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse 2, and Magic Trackpad 2.

Despite being updated with modern designs and Touch ID on the keyboards, none of these accessories have been equipped with USB-C ports. Some suspected Apple could have made the move as early as the release of the 24-inch iMac in 2021, but the Lightning port persisted.

Note that the code referenced the existing product names like Magic Mouse 2. This could indicate a smaller update like a port transition and not a complete redesign.

No details of the potential update were shared. Apple may introduce some new features or design elements to these products, but USB-C is almost a certainty. The release window, however, isn't as clear.

Some rumors indicated Apple could hold some kind of Mac and iPad event at the end of October, but the iPad mini 7 was revealed via press release -- throwing the idea of an event into question. Logically, if a redesigned smaller Mac mini is launched in October or November, the new accessories could launch alongside it.

Of course, Apple could always just release the Magic Keyboard, Trackpad, and Mouse updates without much fanfare at any time. Even if it is a somewhat boring port update, fans will likely rejoice in another Lightning removal, leaving only the iPhone SE with the now-outdated port.

Rumor Score: Likely

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,423member
    It was inevitable, but hopefully, nobody is going to "rejoice" because a connector changes.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 14
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,098member
    I was hoping that Apple might use the introduction of USB-C as a catalyst for some interesting new improvements/features on these devices -- at the very least, the repositioning (finally!) of the Magic Mouse port so continued use was possible while charging. But after seeing what Apple did with AirPods Max--nothing but a port change and new colors after four years of nothing--I think Apple will just swap the port and call it a day. 
  • Reply 3 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,991member
    mike1 said:
    It was inevitable, but hopefully, nobody is going to "rejoice" because a connector changes.
    Oh it’ll be more than just the connector. The keyboards are going to go to this experimental “butterfly” mechanism. LOL

All kidding aside, I just hope they finally move the plug off the bottom of the mouse. 
  • Reply 4 of 14
    d_2d_2 Posts: 124member
    Backlighting on the keyboards would sure be nice
    charlesn
  • Reply 5 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,322member
    Aside from tech people……
  • Reply 6 of 14
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 164member
    mike1 said:
    Sorry/Not Sorry. I'm delighted that Lightning is finally in its death throes, although I save the idea of "rejoicing" to the broader goal of Apple finally being cured of their proprietary connector fetish. From NuBus to ADB to ADC to Micro-DVI to the 30-pin connector to Lightning and everything in-between. 30+ years of annoyances, adopted then abandoned as it suited them.
    DAalsethwilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 14
    We can only hope Apple makes a new mouse that Magic Mouse is a horrible piece of junk.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Have used Logitech mice for decades. Have a couple of Apple mice for emergency starting. Otherwise, they reside in a file drawer.

Would really appreciate a back lighted keyboard....
    edited 5:53PM Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I know I am in the minority, but I thought that the Magic Mouse (especially the second one with recharging) was an excellent mouse. Well, to be fair, it became excellent once I had BetterTouchTool installed. I could do a whole lot with it! I had to switch to a vertical mouse due to potential carpal tunnel, but I did love that mouse!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 14
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,836member
    neoncat said:
    mike1 said:
    Sorry/Not Sorry. I'm delighted that Lightning is finally in its death throes, although I save the idea of "rejoicing" to the broader goal of Apple finally being cured of their proprietary connector fetish. From NuBus to ADB to ADC to Micro-DVI to the 30-pin connector to Lightning and everything in-between. 30+ years of annoyances, adopted then abandoned as it suited them.
    I do agree it's annoying that Apple uses these custom connectors. Remember Serial as well over their own ports. However, in general Apple's custom ports were actually invented before their more generic PC counterparts, and often had better features. Apple just doesn't switch until a more generic standard becomes *really* generic, but they had a habit of not future proofing the ports. Some high-speed (i.e. video) ports only really lasted a generation or two.

NuBus existed 6 years before before PCI (ISA existed but was slow)

Micro DVI was used because there was no way to fit the full-size DVI (and VGA before that) ports on the Mac. 

There was HDI back in the PowerMac 6100 days,  too which was definitely weird and only lasted a couple of years - but allowed one cable to carry everything, except power.

ADB also existed before PS/2, and was a bus rather than point to point like PS/2.

ADC was very short lived because it was only single-link DVI and Apple revealed the dual-link 30" Cinema Display which was dual link. It had power and USB, but had not
    enough power for the bigger displays. I think it was really for use with the Cube, to be ultra-tidy.

There was no real alternative to the Dock connector at the time. It carried line level audio, serial, firewire, power and USB.

Lightning was much MUCH better than USB-Micro. USB-Micro is AWFUL. USB-C came along a fair bit later. But since Apple helped design USB-C, they should have jumped on it earlier. And especially since their Macs switched to C YEARS ago. Really annoying to have to keep lightning cables around for the keyboard and mouse.
    edited 6:38PM
  • Reply 11 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 4,009member
    neoncat said:
    mike1 said:
    Apple has used the lightning connector for over 10 years. How many connectors have androids had during that time? Are you seriously trying to argue that many USB was superior to lightning?

before the lightning connector, Apple used the 30 pin connector for over 10 years. Yes, the 30 pin connector was proprietary, but it allowed functionality that no other connector allowed when it was introduced. Likewise, the lightning connector was for superior to every other connector at the time.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 4,009member
    Toortog said:
    We can only hope Apple makes a new mouse that Magic Mouse is a horrible piece of junk.  
    I’ll “rejoice“ when Apple finally gets rid of the completely moronic charging a patient on the magic mouse. They put the charging port in a Very sensible location for the magic keyboard, but then they went and took a couple hits of LSD before designing the magic mouse. 
    DAalseth
  • Reply 13 of 14
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,836member
    MplsP said:
    Toortog said:
    I’ll “rejoice“ when Apple finally gets rid of the completely moronic charging a patient on the magic mouse. They put the charging port in a Very sensible location for the magic keyboard, but then they went and took a couple hits of LSD before designing the magic mouse. 
    I'm surprised they didn't put it on the bottom of the keyboard too.I do mourn the loss of the two USB ports on the keyboard though. Those were really handy.

• Reply 14 of 14
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,098member
    elijahg said:  Really annoying to have to keep lightning cables around for the keyboard and mouse.
    So don't keep them! Just buy a cheap USB-C female to Lightning male adapter on Amazon and keep it in your desk drawer. That way, you can just have USB-C cables and pop the adapter on one end of a cable whenever it's time to charge your keyboard, mouse or trackpad. They don't need charging all that often and this allowed me to get rid of needless cable clutter. In fact, I bought adapters to handle all my non-USB-C charging needs: USB-C female to male versions of micro USB and USB-A. I also keep a female USB-A to male USB-C adapter.