Dropped iPhone leads to Australian woman being stuck upside down between boulders for hour...

Posted:
in iPhone

What started as a hike in the New South Wales Hunter Valley led to a woman becoming wedged upside down between boulders for seven hours, after she tried to retrieve a dropped iPhone.

Feet visible in a crevice where a woman is trapped upside down
Woman trapped looking for dropped iPhone. Image source: NSW Ambulance

A 23-year-old woman named Matilda Campbell was hiking with her friends at a place called Laguna, in the New South Wales Hunter Valley. As she was taking photos with her iPhone, she dropped it and the iPhone slipped down into a crevice.

According to a report from ABC Newcastle, Campbell fell nearly 10 feet, ending up suspended upside down by her feet caught between large boulders. Her friends couldn't free her from her predicament, so emergency services were contacted.

It took multiple first responders from Cessnock Volunteer Rescue Association and Rural Fire Services to get her free. Only after removing seven large boulders weighing up to 1,000 pounds apiece were the rescuers able to free Campbell.

Following the ordeal, Campbell's injuries list included a cracked vertebra as well as scrapes and bruises.

Campell is an iPhone user based on social media account posts, adds MacRumos. However the iPhone itself was never retrieved.

"You guys are literally lifesavers. too bad about the phone though," Campbell said in a post to the NSW Ambulance group.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,996member
    It’s easy to laugh, but honestly I can see how it could happen to anyone. Drop the phone. Scramble down to see if you can find it. Slip. There you are. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 3
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,155member
    Well, there's a scary story picked up because of a keyword search.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Here's an argument for a case with a lanyard! (Maybe such already exists? I've been very 'basic' in choice of cases but I'd get one!)

(This case is nearly as sad as the ones--yes unfortunately plural--of the poor folks who fall off cliffs or high outcroppings taking a darn selfie...)