Apple's M4 Mac event will be a week of daily press releases and I'm here for it

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware

Apple has confirmed that it will announce new Macs during a week-long event starting October 28. It isn't the first time it's taken this route, and I'm absolutely here for it.

A silver Apple Mac Mini computer on a white desk, situated below an LG monitor.
Apple could have a lot to unveil through Halloween week.

It was the worst-kept secret in tech that Apple was ramping up to announce new M4-powered Macs sooner rather than later. The company has now essentially confirmed as much after Apple SVP Greg Joswiak took to the X social network to tease "an exciting week of announcements" featuring a stylized Finder icon.

As for what we can expect from the M4 Mac event, there's a lot. M4 chips are clearly going to be the order of the day after the M4 iPad Pro's debut earlier this year.

A new Mac mini, refreshed iMac, and updated MacBook Pro are all thought to be in the cards, while those hoping for a new MacBook Air are set to have to wait until early next year. Though, there's a wildcard here as well.

Joswiak might have made a point of hinting at new Macs, there is always the chance of a new iPad breaking cover if only to add support for Apple Intelligence. Though other rumors suggest the 11th-generation iPad could be a spring product.

A new (old) approach to events

The launch of the M4 chip in an iPad Pro rather than any kind of Mac had already set this generation out from the norm, but that isn't the only way Apple seems to be shaking things up here.

A green Apple computer on a desk with a keyboard, mouse, and headphones on a stand.
Apple could refresh the 24-inch iMac

Whereas Apple tends to announce big new products like flagship Mac notebooks via a streamed event on its website and elsewhere, this year's unveilings are going to be unveiled via a week of individual debuts instead. I have to imagine that the reason for that is twofold, starting with the fact that these are likely to be relatively minor spec bumps the likes of which just don't have enough to flesh out a video event.

Apple falls back to press releases when announcing products like this regularly, but it seems these Macs will be unveiled across multiple days. Which brings me to my second reason.

It might be inside baseball, but it's no secret that Apple likes to control the news cycle wherever possible. With these new Macs set to be spec bumps rather than grand design refreshes, keeping everyone interested isn't likely to be easy. One way around that is to stretch the event out, creating headlines throughout a week rather than a day.

It's a relatively minor thing, but it will work. There's precedent for it, too.

Apple last launched products on consecutive days this way back in March of 2019, starting with a new iPad Air and iPad mini products on the 18th. That was followed by a new iMac on the 19th and then the AirPods 2 on the 20th.

Sure, there have been press releases announcing products and services since then, but it's unusual for Apple to take the approach of spreading an event (albeit a lackluster one) across multiple days like this. I'm a fan, I must admit, not least because it gives us here at AppleInsider a bit of a break between the new products dropping.

It also adds an element of excitement, something that's been sorely missing with Apple's events in recent years. Sure, we might have a good idea of what Apple is going to drop next week, but at least it'll last longer than usual.

Who knows, maybe there will be a rare surprise in amongst those Macs, too. Fingers crossed.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    It would be nice if the week included the return of a 27-inch (or larger) iMac.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 8
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,741member
    Not likely.

I'm interested in a M4 mini to replace my iMac.  I don't really need the power of a Studio.
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 3 of 8
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,433member
    WTF.

Why after composing a post, do I get a Verify Your Human post that, when verifying, wipes out my post?
    thtwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 8
    AI said:
    Who knows, maybe there will be a rare surprise in amongst those Macs, too. Fingers crossed.

It definitely would be rare. I'd like to see the occasional One more thing. . . Those were always fun even when it was a product I had no interest in.

It would be nice if the week included the return of a 27-inch (or larger) iMac.

I'd like that too but don't see it happening. Especially the (or larger) iMac part. That would be expensive and when the computer or display dies, that's a pricey doorstop. At least with TDM if the display died you could still salvage the computer without costing the arm and leg needed to pay for repairs. A 32" Apple monitor for which I could justify the price tag would be nice but that's not going to happen either.

• Reply 5 of 8
    Did it again.

"Verified the security of my connection" and wiped out my post. Thank you AI.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 8
    d_2d_2 Posts: 126member
    Hoping for an Apple high quality and relatively affordable 27” monitor to match the new Mini (or Cube).
    edited 5:42PM
  • Reply 7 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,634member
    Would be cool if it was 4 days or announcements, but 3 days is probably the most, and it could just be 2 days. Could it just be one day?

One day will be for all the .1 OS updates. 
    One day for Mac mini and iMac
    One day for MacBook Pro and Mac mini with the M4 Pro option. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,190member
    tht said:
    Would be cool if it was 4 days or announcements, but 3 days is probably the most, and it could just be 2 days. Could it just be one day?
    More than one day per Greg Joswiak's X/Twitter post:

https://x.com/gregjoz/status/1849484363165213148

Verbatim quote: "Mac ( ;) ) your calendars! We have an exciting week of announcements ahead, starting on Monday morning. Stay tuned…"

Monday product announcements are rare but you heard it from the horse's mouth.
    So probably Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Their quarterly earnings announcement is Thursday so there will be no product reveals that day. Friday announcements are very rare since it's often a holiday elsewhere (even if not so in the USA).