AAC at 128 whether you want it or not?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I wanted to see how the different formats sounded compared to a store-bought CD. I chose Cold Play's God Put a Smile Upon Your Face. I had it from the CD at 192kbps MP3 and I downloaded it at 128kbps MP3, 128kbps AAC and 256kbps AAC from the Music Store to compare the four.

Before downloading the three, I set the importing preference to 128kbps MP3 and bought and downloaded the song. Then I changed the importing preference to 128kbps AAC and downloaded that. Then I set the importing preference to 256kbps AAC and downloaded that (or so I thought). After they were all downloaded, I checked the Get Info for all three of the downloads and they were all 128kbps AAC. So, unless I was doing something wrong, even if you selected MP3, you will get 128kbps AAC. And if you select AAC, the max bit rate is only 128kbps, no matter what you put in there. Maybe that higher bit rate capability is something not available yet, who knows.

The sound quality of the 128kbps AAC and the 192kbps MP3 are very, very close. On the 192kbps MP3, the highs are a bit crisper and clearer (such as cymbals and vocals) but this can be compensated for with tweaking the equalizer. It's a subjective comparison I know. Still, I'm more concerned with not being able to download a higher bitrate AAC or being able to download in MP3. Hopefully I just did something wrong in configuring the importing preferences. Anyone else have similar problems?

EDIT: {After looking at the Music Store site a bit more, I realized what the problem was. I'd been reading about the iPod and how it works with the different formats and bit rates and I made the mistake of thinking that the Music Store also downloaded music in those same formats/rates. So, this whole test was a misunderstanding on my part (that's what I get for trying to do all this with only 4 hours sleep). I can only notice the difference from 192kbps MP3 and 128 kbps AAV in a quiet room with a good set of headphones on so by and large, the AAV format is pretty good. It would be great if the format would work on home and car CD players though. I think what Apple is doing is great and I hope it catches on. This is a very good start.}

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    All of the downloads right now are 128 kilobit AAC. Your importing preferences only apply to songs that you personally encode from your own CDs. So yeah, as far as the music service is concerned, it's 128 kilobit AAC whether you want it or not... but more like 128 kilobit AAC if you want it, and if you don't want it then you don't buy it...
  • Reply 2 of 37
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    changing your import settings for AAC will not change the file you get from the music store. why do you think it would?
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Well, one could assume that "importing" refers to any time you move music from an outside source to your iTunes library. Importing in iTunes just means encoding, but technically when you download a song from the store, that's "importing" a song from the store to your library.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought you could download a song in either MP3 or AAC. Maybe I've been reading too many posts about it and got confused.

It just means that I can play the songs on my computer or my iPod but not on the CD player in the car or in my stereo (without going to the Advanced tab and converting it to MP3 and having the sound quality drop even more).
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Well, one could assume that "importing" refers to any time you move music from an outside source to your iTunes library.

"w00t (or however it is spelled). Then I want to import it as AIFF."

The above senario is why it should be clear that you can´t choose the bit rate yourself. All people with the bandwidth would start downloading 600 mb+ CDs, making the load experienced by the Apple servers yesterday a quiet day.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EdinLA43

The sound quality of the 128kbps AAC and the 192kbps MP3 are very, very close. On the 192kbps MP3, the highs are a bit crisper and clearer (such as cymbals and vocals) but this can be compensated for with tweaking the equalizer. It's a subjective comparison I know.

Lol, that's impossible. All 3 files u downloaded are exactly the same!
  • Reply 7 of 37
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eVo

Lol, that's impossible. All 3 files u downloaded are exactly the same!

(S)He got the 192kbps MP3 from the CD, not the Apple Music Store.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member

Cyan = source AIFF

128 kbps mp3, 100 kbps mp3pro, 128 kbps aac represent the other 3 plotted curves...

Can you identify which is which? The closer the curves match the Cyan line, the better the sound.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The closer the curves match the Cyan line, the better the sound.

Please don't do that.

There is no corellation between the two.

Think about it for a second. Psycho-acoustic encoders reduce file-size by throwing away (and sometimes adding) noises that humans can't hear. How can you tell from looking at that graph which parts humans are sensitive to.

For you visual types: JPEG throws away more blue information than red, or green because that is the color humans are least sensitive to. Would a graph showing how much red, green and blue was removed from a JPEG tell you anything about picture quality without you actually looking at the image. (Remember that JPEG achieves great compression with no artifacts on natural 'photographic' images but does terrible on unnatural ones like screenshots)
  • Reply 10 of 37
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    stupider...likeafox:

thank you.

the real measure of how well a compressed format sounds is related to how the compression algorithms cut out those "unhearable" frequencies.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

stupider...likeafox:

thank you.

the real measure of how well a compressed format sounds is related to how the compression algorithms cut out those "unhearable" frequencies.

You and stupider make it sound like one size fits all. Here's the problem. Once you lose the detail, you can't get it back in the case of JPEG, AAC and MP3. Don't try to pass my rant off as unfounded. If you can't hear the differences between a 192 kbps mp3 and ~1400 kbps CD-A, then good for you. Unfortunately, some of us can hear the difference. If you want smaller file sizes, stick with 128 kbps aac. More power and storage space to you, but that is not acceptable as the only option. You can alway reencode the already encoded material to get rid of that nasty extra bit you can't hear. It doesn't work the other way around.

Who cares that your output file would be even more lossy as a result? Te lossier the better! We couldn't hear the difference anyway!

Why should I pay CD prices for massibely sub-CD quality sound?
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:

You and stupider make it sound like one size fits all.

No we didn't.

We pointed out that using a spectrum analyzer to compare the quality of a psychoacoustic audio codec's perceptual model is dumb.

If you want to argue about that go ahead, the rest of your post has nothing to do with what I posted (but is mostly audiophile nonsense).

If you want to read up about audio compression try the forums at www.hydrogenaudio.org

Just don't post that graph or they will tear you a new arsehole.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Think about it for a second. Psycho-acoustic encoders reduce file-size by throwing away (and sometimes adding) noises that humans can't hear. How can you tell from looking at that graph which parts humans are sensitive to.

A human doesn't have to hear the difference to know the waveform is different. How do you know what I'm incapable of hearing anyway? This is merely visual evidence of data-loss in addition to a listening test.

There's an acceptable threshold...128 kbps isn't it. It's better to compress too little rather than too much.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    It's down to personal preference as to just how much of a trade-off between fidelity (can we stop using quality in relation to audio compression? It's not the same thing) and required storage space you're prepared to make.

Were it otherwise, we'd all be running around with DAT players...
  • Reply 15 of 37
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    This should be agiven, but I think I need to mention that this whole thing is a test. If you send feedback asking for either higher bitrate encoding or more of a range of bitrates to download, they might just do it if the experiment is successful. They have 1 year to prove this works in principle to the big 5. In that time, there will be a lot of analysis over what's right, what's wrong, would could be better and what they need more or less of. Believe me, EVERYONE is listening for your feedback right now, so take advantage of this.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:

How do you know what I'm incapable of hearing anyway?

This is merely visual evidence of data-loss in addition to a listening test.

There's an acceptable threshold...128 kbps isn't it. It's better to compress too little rather than too much.

Your hearing may be great but your eyes need work because at no point in my post did I claim to know what you can hear, nor would it make any difference to my point if I did know.

However, large collections of statistics and many years of medical research tells me what people can hear.

We don't need 'visual evidence of data-loss'. We know there is data loss. That is what psychoacoustic lossy(!) audio codecs are designed to do: lose data.

As for your claimed "listening test", I assume it was done double-blind to rule out the placebo effect that so often misleads audiophiles? Or did you just hear what you want to hear, and disregard the rest?

Why the hell would Apple want to accept your subjective opinion when you claim to have hearing that is statistically exceptional?

Apple's done the research and the quality will be more than most people need or want.

If you claim to speak on behalf of the entire customer base then you'll have to do better than "128kbps AAC is rubbish"
  • Reply 17 of 37
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

How can you tell from looking at that graph which parts humans are sensitive to.

Humans ears are sensitive to 20Hz-20kHz (roughly). We can still feel sound outside of this range (especially <20Hz) if it's loud enough, we just can't hear it.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    This is pretty similar to the tabs debate... I think it'll boil down to "Okay, if you don't like it, then don't use it." Some people can just tell the difference between MP3s/MP4s and a full, uncompressed CD. Some can't. So Eugene, please don't use the music service, you'll hate it! Just buy your CDs the conventional way, and use .shn or something to get perfect quality. For people who can't tell the difference, the music service seems to make a lot of sense - if you like two songs from a CD but dislike the rest, or if you have some song that's in your head and you just need to have it. Not great for building music collections, but outstanding for rounding them out.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Humans ears are sensitive to 20Hz-20kHz (roughly). We can still feel sound outside of this range (especially <20Hz) if it's loud enough, we just can't hear it.

They're even discovering that sounds above 20kHz make a difference too, and that's why LPs sound better. The theory is that the sounds too high to be heard still bounce around the room long enough to fall within the range of human hearing.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Tell you what, Eugene:

Next time you come to Hong Kong and well have a little test. Three codecs (128 AAC, 192 MP3 and AIFF from original CD), 10 songs (chosen at random from your iTunes playlist), from your Mac to any sub-$10k stereo system available to you. At 8PM after a day of shopping, if you can get 3 out of three on 7 of the 10, I'll buy you a new 10GB iPod. If you lose you buy me one.

I'm in.

PRO NOBLEM.

Same goes for when you come to the UK.

(Have to add that as a 'perceptual' codec, AAC is damn good)