Orderd a Lindows Box from Walmart.com...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

so anyone else notice how long it took to post from said Lindows box?

funny stuff.

Actually the delay was due to the fact that I bought a Lindows PC, a KVM and a new monitor that same day and forgot to buy a big-ass power tap. Thus my evening planned for geeking out was postponed until I bought a nice APC UPS the next day. Booting the Lindows box and getting online took all of about 3 minutes (and that includes trying to remember my AI member password)

Intresting notes: Lindows boots and automatically logs in the user as Root with no password. I was suprised. No Wizards, no Assistants. DHCP is active by default, which is nice. Lindows ships with Netscape and an AIM client too. I even got the terminal to display 50% transparent. I feel right at home. KDE is pretty rough looking if you havent seen it before. Its like a cross between BeOS, Win 3.1, Win2K, and AmigaOS. Well, sort of...
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Dstran: can you post some screenshots?
  • Reply 23 of 39
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    What are the specs? Does Office work for Word Docs? My brother is looking to upgrade his PC, but it might be cheaper to buy one of these.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    I will give you guys screenies and info this weekend. I have a big gig to deal with today at my work to deal with. Once that is over I hope to get my a$$ cozy in the new Lindows box and give a full report.

Granted, I'm no Linux guru, but I consider myself a competent IT dude nonetheless (built a few LinuxPPC and MKLinux boxes, used VMS/VAX at college, and of course used Darwin too).

I havent used Star Office or Open Office in Lindows yet.

More news at 11! Make a list of stuff you wanna know and I will help clear the air. It aint gonna make Steve lose any sleep, but then again, it's a killer simple geek solution for only $200 bucks!

The low-down:

Gigabyte mobo

VIA chipset

PC100 RAM

USB 1.1

PS/2

serial (yawn)

ATA/133 x 2

CD

20 GB drive

Keyboard, mouse,speakers

"integrated video" (can u say OUCH?)

3 PCI slots

1 AGP slot?

AMD Duron 1.3 GHz CISC CPU

Lots of loud fans

Lindows (or no OS)

10/100 NIC

Fast shipping

Ghetto packaging and CDs/documents (This ain't Apple)

What does Linus think of Lindows? Anyone know?
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Could you load Windows on it?
  • Reply 26 of 39
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    The geek perspective on Lindows is that it's a good thing... They just hope it doesn't get more and more neutered as a Linux distro. There's a balance between ease of use and security. Do you have to 'log in'? I think I heard Lindows logs you in as root by default or something. If so, that's incredibly stupid, and you can expect to learn the ins and outs of reinstalling Lindows on your box .

BTW, if you have apt-get, "man apt-get" or google to learn to use it. I myself have never used debian (I'm more of a gentoo cat).

I'm about to install OpenBSD 3.3 final which just came out. It has uber-sweet networking code that maxes your bandwidth out to it's full potential by prioritizing certain packets. Pretty keen.

Wait, that was off topic.

edit: bunge: yes, he could load windows on it.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    I'd like to announce: I have followed in his footsteps, and I too have purchased my very own $200 Lindows machine, which should roll through the door on May 15th or so.

Now, here's the thing: all of you have to buy one, and tell your friends to buy one, so that THEIR friends buy one -- everytime you buy a Lindows box, Tommy gets eight cents more towards his kidney transplant (subsidization is a bitch, isn't it, boy?), so keep it going!

• Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Could you load Windows on it?

Yes. Big time. In fact, I had the option of either:

A) No OS at all.

or

B) Lindows.

I figured why not play with Lindows for a bit and then wipe the drive and install Win or Linux later if I want to.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

The geek perspective on Lindows is that it's a good thing... They just hope it doesn't get more and more neutered as a Linux distro. There's a balance between ease of use and security. Do you have to 'log in'? I think I heard Lindows logs you in as root by default or something. If so, that's incredibly stupid, and you can expect to learn the ins and outs of reinstalling Lindows on your box .

BTW, if you have apt-get, "man apt-get" or google to learn to use it. I myself have never used debian (I'm more of a gentoo cat).

I'm about to install OpenBSD 3.3 final which just came out. It has uber-sweet networking code that maxes your bandwidth out to it's full potential by prioritizing certain packets. Pretty keen.

Wait, that was off topic.

edit: bunge: yes, he could load windows on it.

Correct, it does log you in a Root out of the box. Its weird. Kinda made me nervous. And it automatically logs Root in at boot until you change it manually (which I did)
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

I'd like to announce: I have followed in his footsteps, and I too have purchased my very own $200 Lindows machine, which should roll through the door on May 15th or so.

Now, here's the thing: all of you have to buy one, and tell your friends to buy one, so that THEIR friends buy one -- everytime you buy a Lindows box, Tommy gets eight cents more towards his kidney transplant (subsidization is a bitch, isn't it, boy?), so keep it going!

Welcome to the club. I would love to hear your opinion of the whole deal (hardware and OS) when you get time to play with it.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Thanks to all of you for the little pieces of info. My bro is thinking of a new mobo/cpu/video card and power supply. I'm thinking that the hassle of all that might not be worth the outcome if he could get this for $198. If it's possible to load windows, then he could always test Linux and go back to his legal copy of Windows 98 if necessary.

I'd rather he buy a mac though.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Well soon I'll be getting something similar... I want the $699 2.4 Ghz system (also from Walmart.com) with Mandrake Linux 9.0 pre-installed. All I need is a job... >.<...

I'll then upgrade it to Mandrake 9.1 because I've read some much about it and I wanna see what it's like. Though I don't really want to my younger brother and father want me to partition it to install Windows as well.... How much do you think I should allocate to Windows? lol The machine has a 60 GB HDD... How about 40 Linux and 20 Windows? lol... or better yet 50 Linux and 10 Windows.

My brother's friend's comp just got f*cked over.... Windows crashed and he wants to give Linux a try... So that'll be good practice.... I'll partition it and install Windows and Linux.... that's what he wants...

I wanna use this machine basically as my server.... I'd run my Direct Connect Hub as well as my SHOUTcast streaming radio server. If anyone is interested in being a DJ for my radio or an operator in my DC hub lemme know and I'll see what I can do. oh and also if I can I'm going try and host my friend's website on it.

Anywho if you're interested in any of my servers just let me know.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    While I wouldn't recommend anyone log into OS X as root just for that drunk with a loaded gun-style feeling of power, being logged in as root isn't that big a deal when it comes to deciding the security/ease of use trade-offs on a single user machine.

Remember unix and root comes from the time when a big mainframe ran with multiple users, and you didn't want one user's stupidity to screw everyone else up. On a one person machine, if you totally hose your own user account then you might as well reinstall anyway.

Like the rest of Lindows it's not elegant but it's cheap, it's easy and it works.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

While I wouldn't recommend anyone log into OS X as root just for that drunk with a loaded gun-style feeling of power, being logged in as root isn't that big a deal when it comes to deciding the security/ease of use trade-offs on a single user machine.

Remember unix and root comes from the time when a big mainframe ran with multiple users, and you didn't want one user's stupidity to screw everyone else up. On a one person machine, if you totally hose your own user account then you might as well reinstall anyway.

Like the rest of Lindows it's not elegant but it's cheap, it's easy and it works.

True dat.

"Drunk with a loaded gun". I like that. I'm gonna use that line. Can I call your agent for license fees?
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

True dat.

"Drunk with a loaded gun". I like that. I'm gonna use that line. Can I call your agent for license fees?

It's under GNU...
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Did anyone else pick one of these up yet? Just curious...
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Mine should be here on Monday.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    This Dell is much better for only $115 more. It comes with a faster processor, DDR memory, 400MHz bus, larger HD and Windows XP instead of Lindows.

Quote:

Dimension 2350 Celeron 2.2GHz 128MB $314 at Dell Business

Choose Desktops >Dimension > Dimension 2350 Featured $349 System. Configure free 60GB upgrade. Total is then $399 - auto $50 off - 10% off code 4FD64685B6E [Exp 5/21] = $314 with free shipping.

# Celeron 2.2GHz, 128MB DDR, Dell Keyboard/Mouse, XP Home, 60GB Drive

# 48x CDROM, No Floppy, Integrated Audio/Video, 10/100 NIC, Free ISP

The integrated Intel graphics is equivalent to a GeForce2MX or original Radeon. If you buy more memory (256MB $20 or 512MB $50), you have yourself a fine machine.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    (In a Spinal Tap voice)

"But it doesn't have Lindows now, does it?"

And $115 more bucks would almost buy me another Lindows box from Wal-Mart!

I am using it for a personal IT geek box, email, web, etc not games or anything. So a 400 MHz FSB isn't an issue.