Does this make me Evil?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ok, so this morning something came up that reminded me of a camping trip a few years back. just for kicks i'll run it past you guys (and gals) and see if you all think i'm evil for it.

we're up in the boundry waters canoe area (northern MN) and this gal finds a mouse. (this was back in highschool). so she decides to keep this mouse as a pet. builds a little house for it, starts bringing it all over the place. on the second day, the mouse gets out of it's house. while she's looking for it, she took a step back, and stepped right on her mouse.

the bad part was, she didn't quite kill it. so now there's this cute little mouse with at least two broken legs and blood coming out of its mouth. she freaks, and starts going into this weird mommy/baby mode. after five minutes of this i tell her we're going to have to put it out of its misery. everyone looks at me weird. i explain it's going to die, and it's in agony. they still look at me weird.

finally i have enough of the touchey feely bullshit, walk over and she hands me the mouse. i go back to the tent, get the hatchet and it's done with in a second.

at least 4-5 of the girls on that trip thought i was evil for killing the poor baby mouse after that. took them forever to start acting normal again.

so my question to the AI community is, what do you think? (well, the AI community aside from BR, i think i have a good guess as to his opinion)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't it's evil... I think the real mistake was her's. She shouldn't have taken the mouse in the first place. Wild animals want to escape, and they will eventually. You just put it out of its misery... very sad, but it was necessary.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    number of seconds until this thread turns into a debate on euthanasia....5....4...3..

I don't think that makes you evil. I think you're smart enough to put emotions aside and do whats right. The animal was suffering and you guys couldn't possibly give it medical attention....sooooo what else could you have done?
  • Reply 3 of 40
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    You are evil. You should have used it as an anecdotal story about how we need socialized medicine not only for people, but for animals.

They we could have all paid to have the mouse helicoptered out of there and given emergancy medical care.

Hey at least it wasn't debating euthanasia....

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 40
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    It was a MOUSE.

(And yes, you're evil. But I think most of us knew that already.)

• Reply 5 of 40
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Did someone say Mouse ?
  • Reply 6 of 40
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    If people just kept proper pets, like cats, we wouldn't have these problems.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    You were right.

They are girls.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    did you throw the corpse of the dead animal on her, you jerk? otherwise, I don't think you were evil, which is rare for you.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I am full of support for my mighty moderator.

You are not evil, I would have done the same thing. Though I would probably do it more discreetly.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Too bad ast3r3x wasn't there to take a nibble.

Of course that was the right thing to do. Jesus, I caught one running out from under a shelf in my garage last fall and stomped it without blinking.

Oops, guess that makes me evil.

• Reply 11 of 40
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I only went out with the cycling club at my university once. On a track I had been down many times someone managed to run over a rabbit, breaking its back. To put it out of its misery, the guy who ran it over ripped a fence post out of the ground

Stomped on a mouse? Do you have cat like reactions or something?
  • Reply 12 of 40
    every night i read my two sons 2 or 3 books before bedtime.

invariably at least one is about a mouse. mouse goes to the movies, the great mouse cookie book, i mean there are tons.

add to this tom and jerry, mickey mouse, mighty mouse, etc. (in fact what is it with animators and mice?)

anyway when i'm done reading any book about a mouse, i look both my sons in the eye and tell them. "but you must remember this is just a fun story, in reality mice are vermin parasitical beings who when not trying to eat your chips ahoy are pooping and peeing in the cupboards and drawers we keep them in. mice in fact should be eliminated at all costs preferably as cruelly and inhumane as possible."

now go to bed.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    but i'm betting that after your rodent guillotine moment all of the girls were extremely careful not to break their legs
  • Reply 14 of 40
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Alc said:

so my question to the AI community is, what do you think? (well, the AI community aside from BR, i think i have a good guess as to his opinion)

Ahhh...No fair.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

anyway when i'm done reading any book about a mouse, i look both my sons in the eye and tell them. "but you must remember this is just a fun story, in reality mice are vermin parasitical beings who when not trying to eat your chips ahoy are pooping and peeing in the cupboards and drawers we keep them in. mice in fact should be eliminated at all costs preferably as cruelly and inhumane as possible."

now go to bed.

"Gee, we can't figure out why our children are having dreams about gigantic mice eating them. What could it be?"
  • Reply 16 of 40
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Stomped on a mouse? Do you have cat like reactions or something?

Well, afterwards I just kind of stared at it blankly, then at my boot... kind of like Toby Maguire in Spiderman when he shoots webbing for the fist time.

I guess my first instinct is always to kill.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    the generalthe general Posts: 649member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

ok, so this morning something came up that reminded me of a camping trip a few years back. just for kicks i'll run it past you guys (and gals) and see if you all think i'm evil for it.

we're up in the boundry waters canoe area (northern MN) and this gal finds a mouse. (this was back in highschool). so she decides to keep this mouse as a pet. builds a little house for it, starts bringing it all over the place. on the second day, the mouse gets out of it's house. while she's looking for it, she took a step back, and stepped right on her mouse.

the bad part was, she didn't quite kill it. so now there's this cute little mouse with at least two broken legs and blood coming out of its mouth. she freaks, and starts going into this weird mommy/baby mode. after five minutes of this i tell her we're going to have to put it out of its misery. everyone looks at me weird. i explain it's going to die, and it's in agony. they still look at me weird.

finally i have enough of the touchey feely bullshit, walk over and she hands me the mouse. i go back to the tent, get the hatchet and it's done with in a second.

at least 4-5 of the girls on that trip thought i was evil for killing the poor baby mouse after that. took them forever to start acting normal again.

Not evil, putting animal out of its misery, NOW, if she had said "well, lets go to a vet first, and I will pay whatever it takes to right it", then that would have been different.. its not like you were the guy in The Green Mile and were going after her mouse for meaness(well, that would be bad if you were of course)
  • Reply 18 of 40
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Nice to the mouse(well sorta)

Evil to the girls.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    the generalthe general Posts: 649member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xionja

Nice to the mouse(well sorta)

Evil to the girls.

But the real question was, was there one girl out of that group that was like "He is evil! I LIKE IT!"

remember, there are always some evil girls you can have fun with while waiting for a nice one.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    replace mouse with moose, and you've got yourself a story...