Should criticisms of Evolutionary Theory be mandated in science classrooms?

Comments

• Reply 381 of 524
    enaena Posts: 667member

you guys, you guys....

we just haven't ever seen information added to DNA----I just don't see how this can be so confusing.

Adaptation of existing information? YES

Information added to build new features, ex nihlo? NO

...also on the front end of evolution, they haven't the foggiest idea on what the intermediate forms would be and how to keep the intermediate forms stable through the advent of DNA-based life forms. Evolution starts nowhere and then goes nowhere.

If you weren't speculating on pure conjecture I might hypothetically agree with you.

Maybe.

*closes hatch on space ship and leaves for home planet*
  • Reply 382 of 524
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

I have followed Fellowship's link, and this is the website of the author.

It is, frankly, a joke.

In the meantime, I've posted two links above. One of them shows how neanderthals are related to hom sap and we can tell because we have extracted mitochondrial DNA from neanderthal fossils and how we can see inherited resistance to insecticides in the genes of fruit flies.

Hassan it is funny how you do exactly what I would expect. You don't even consider anything from my perspective. What is it you take issue with the links I have posted?

Instead of being simply ignoring why not deconstruct the arguments that are being made on the creationism side and tell me why you disagree.

Fellowship
  • Reply 383 of 524
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Earth is definitely not a closed system (the Sun supplies it with a not considerable amount of energy). 2nd Law of Thermodynamics: another item on an evolution thread's checklist.
  • Reply 384 of 524
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Earth is definitely not a closed system (the Sun supplies it with a not considerable amount of energy). 2nd Law of Thermodynamics: another item on an evolution thread's checklist.

Indeed. Closed meaning no influence from a supernatural being "God"

I never said Earth.

Fellowship
  • Reply 385 of 524
    Evolutionists should listen to this audio and actually think about what is being said.

Audio Stream

Fellowship
  • Reply 386 of 524
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

trumptman, I'm curious. Why do scientists in the earth and life sciences accept evolution? Why do people like my botanist brother-in-law use it every day in their work? Why aren't the actual experts in the relevant fields seeing these glaringly obvious flaws that people like you and Fellowship, who I'll generously call amateur biologists, see?

Are they all atheists, dupes, stupid, blind, brainwashed, what? It just doesn't make sense. Every scientist lives for the the opportunity to overthrow an old theory and replace it with their own. To be an Einstein or a Copernicus. Why aren't they doing it? You realize you are advocating a conspiracy theory here, right?

And why do people believe that there is a religious agenda to this? Because in our experience that's where the anti-evolution always comes from. I'd say it's a pretty damn good guess to infer that an anti-evolution perspective comes from a Christian conservative agenda, because that's where it has always comes from in the past.

Are you a Christian conservative? You seem to be denying that that's your perspective.

I think you exaggerate the matter quite a bit. First of all I have stated that I find microevolution, recombining current DNA, manipulation of current traits, even splicing traits out of one creature into another to all be valid science. I call this microevolution. Even the Catholic church will admit to this science and it is likely what your brother in law, a botanist, uses.

Secondly I posted a list of scientists in the earth and life sciences who do not believe evolution is a full explanation. That is also something I wish to emphasize myself. Evolution can explain somethings, but as the sole answer regarding origins of life it falls short.

I have not advocated a conspiracy theory. In fact if anything it is just the opposite. I have said that scientists are very human and fallible in human ways. I have suggested that in this fallibility they will make leaps of reasoning, pass on unverified information, and lastly the majority of people in any area seldom seek to break the mold, buck conventional wisdom, or be the nail that sticks out.

This is true of about 75%-80% of all people. Science is no different. That isn't a conspiracy, it is just a plain statement about human nature. Lastly, there are times they do admit them. The answers to the problems might satisfy someone who wishes to continue their reasoning but not someone who doesn't. Punctuated equilibrium is just this sort of answer. However you don't see biologists advertising that the fossil record shows huge explosions of sudden change with staticness in between.

Lastly again consider how most human experts act. They have invested all their time, even perhaps their lives into certain beliefs and solutions. If I asked you why a Windows consultant always recommends Windows, even when other solutions are better, it would understood as human nature on display.

Likewise if a botanist can use microevolution in his work, why wouldn't he make the logical leap for macro to continue to be true as well. It preserves everything he has learned and used for years. There is no loss of ego.

Think about how controversial the view of some dinosaurs evolving to birds has been. There are likely scientists in that field who still cling to their old beliefs. They might until they die and it will be more readily accepted by new generations. This is true for all human endeavors.

Nick
  • Reply 387 of 524
    hassan i sabbahhassan i sabbah Posts: 3,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Hassan it is funny how you do exactly what I would expect. You don't even consider anything from my perspective. What is it you take issue with the links I have posted?

Instead of being simply ignoring why not deconstruct the arguments that are being made on the creationism side and tell me why you disagree.

Fellowship

But you haven't even READ my links!

Anyway, Mark Eastman's website has a quote from Isiah on the top, the guy's a priest, and there are links to "news" stories with titles like "Giant Bird With 14 ft Wingspan Seen in Alaska!" and "Peruvian Burial Stones with Dinosaur Etchings."
  • Reply 388 of 524
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

Adaptation of existing information? YES

Information added to build new features, ex nihlo? NO

How is building an immunity to pesticides not building a new feature?

Are you only considering an external physical feature? In that case, would removing a feature be the semi-proof you're looking for? If so, some male elephants are now being born without tusks so they are no longer a target for hunters.
  • Reply 389 of 524
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

But you haven't even READ my links!

Anyway, Mark Eastman's website has a quote from Isiah on the top, the guy's a priest, and there are links to "news" stories with titles like "Giant Bird With 14 ft Wingspan Seen in Alaska!" and "Peruvian Burial Stones with Dinosaur Etchings."

I did read your links while the 3rd one seemed mis-labeled

I read them all.

Take a listen

Audio stream

Fellowship
  • Reply 390 of 524
    edit: posted a picture of a "dinosaur etching" from that charlatan's website (bible.comon the bottom) but the formatting of the forum wen't nuts.
  • Reply 391 of 524
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Fellowship, 15MB of MP3? I'm scared...

Off to bake some cakes while it downloads.
  • Reply 392 of 524
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Fellowship, 15MB of MP3? I'm scared...

Off to bake some cakes while it downloads.

Yes I am still listening to it and it is well worth the time.

I ask all evolutionists to listen to it and consider what Mark is saying.

Audio stream

Fellowship
  • Reply 393 of 524
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    ena:

adding "information" is quite trivial actually... DNA polymerase is somewhat mistake prove and sometimes, though rarely will duplicate entire stretches over again (this gives the recognised genetic disorder fragile X). Repeats of genes provide the chance that the second copy could be modified such that it takes on a new role or alternatively supplements the original gene. Taken to the upteenth modification, the "duplicate" gene product doesnt have to look anything like the first one and have a distinct function from the original, which still exists in its working form, and thus new "information" as you put it has been "created".

If that doesnt convince you nothing will. Every system that is autoduplicative at some level can make mistakes and make two copies in one. At that point all bets are off on to where that system will end up.
  • Reply 394 of 524
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

How is building an immunity to pesticides not building a new feature?

Are you only considering an external physical feature? In that case, would removing a feature be the semi-proof you're looking for? If so, some male elephants are now being born without tusks so they are no longer a target for hunters.

---that is a good question---the immunity is there already in a few of the "subjects", you basically just kill off the population that doesn't have the immunity, and are left with the survivors that can handle the poison.
  • Reply 395 of 524
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

---that is a good question---the immunity is there already in a few of the "subjects", you basically just kill off the population that doesn't have the immunity, and are left with the survivors that can handle the poison.

good call... most questions of resistance dont develop through mutations but that is because insecticides target specific already existing proteins (indeed many drugs/antibiotics do this).
  • Reply 396 of 524
    Tyrell: What-- What seems to be the problem?

Roy: Death.

Tyrell: Death. Well, I'm afraid that's a little out of my

jurisdiction, you--

Roy: I want more life, fuucker.

Tyrell: The facts of life. To make an alteration in the evolvment of an organic life system is fatal. A coding sequence cannot be revised once it's been established.

Roy: Why not?

Tyrell: Because by the second day of incubation, any cells that have undergone reversion mutations give rise to revertant colonies like rats leaving a sinking ship. Then the ship sinks.

Roy: What about EMS recombination.

Tyrell: We've already tried it. Ethyl methane sulfanate as an alkalating agent and potent mutagen. It created a virus so lethal the subject was dead before he left the table.

Roy: Then a repressive protein that blocks the operating cells.

Tyrell: Wouldn't obstruct replication, but it does give rise to an error in replication so that the newly formed DNA strand carries the mutation and you've got a virus again. But, uh, this-- all of this is academic. You were made as well as we could make you.

Roy: But not to last.
  • Reply 397 of 524
    This is the voice of this thread.

Kill me.

Please.
  • Reply 398 of 524
    Hassan have you listened to Mark on the Audio Stream I had above?

Audio Link

I think if you listen to it start to finish you will have to come to terms with the truth.

I could be wrong but Hassan it is rather compelling.

Fellowship
  • Reply 399 of 524
    He has the voice of a particularly dangerous paedophile.

I will continue listening.
  • Reply 400 of 524
    I am glad you are listening.

Fellowship