Should I wait for the 15" PB?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Exactly! Let all the 12" and 17" PowerBook buyers act as guinea pigs for 6 or so months.

By the time the 15" rolls out, we'll feel really comfortable getting into one!
  • Reply 42 of 48
    ransomedransomed Posts: 169member
    This is all very interesting. I think Apple can see the potential contender the 15" PB can be to the 17". Especially if it comes out sporting an ATi card. I don't think that the new 15"er will just 'match' the current one in performance and features, I think, that Apple should make it considerably better. So, they probably want to sell as many 17" PB's as they can before rolling the 15"ers out. As far as we know, they're probably sitting in crates ready to be delivered to the retail stores.

This, and the fact that they're still trying to get rid of the last TiBooks in stock, could be what's holding up the introduction, which we all sallivatingly await....
  • Reply 43 of 48
    cogcog Posts: 40member
    Thanks to everyone that contributed to this discussion. With your comments and additions, I carefully selected a 17" PB and expect it tomorrow.

Now, how about a case? I need a briefcase style, preferably leather. Any suggestions?

cog
  • Reply 44 of 48
    ransomedransomed Posts: 169member
    It's not leather, but I saw a pretty cool case at www.marware.com. Good price too. The Sportfolio. Thought it was pretty cool, and it seems decently strong. That's probably what I'll be getting when I get my PB.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3joel

Personally, I consider the best solution is a 15" with a 20" or larger external display to connect to when you're at home/office.

wont a 15 PB and a 20"LCD cost more than a 17pb?
  • Reply 46 of 48
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

This is all very interesting. I think Apple can see the potential contender the 15" PB can be to the 17". Especially if it comes out sporting an ATi card. I don't think that the new 15"er will just 'match' the current one in performance and features, I think, that Apple should make it considerably better. So, they probably want to sell as many 17" PB's as they can before rolling the 15"ers out. As far as we know, they're probably sitting in crates ready to be delivered to the retail stores.

This, and the fact that they're still trying to get rid of the last TiBooks in stock, could be what's holding up the introduction, which we all sallivatingly await....

Marketing 101

Apple will not worry about competition with itself/ Weather they sell a 15 or a 17 they are still making a good profit. Having yhe 15 will increase over all laptop sales, period.

though they may want to sell the TI stock that they have. I doubt they will sell enough to have a profit when compared to what they would be making if they were selling the new 15 now. Especially since they are in competition with eBay. most everyone is waiting for the new 15 and nobody wants to oay full price for a Ti. They will eventually unload them at comp USA anyway.

marketing is very time critical. and in Apples case the sooner the better. there is really no benifit to waiting to release the new 15. Except perhaps it would be considered an upgradr to the Ti snd if they release a new model to close to when a upgrade takes place then they may have to trade up the people who bought the newest Ti's, Though i am pretty sure that that time has passed.

at this point nobody wants to produce a 15 inch AI than Apple.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    musicaltonemusicaltone Posts: 189member
    I know loads of people who have recently bought TiBooks. The idea that there is a whole stack of them in some wharehouse gathering dust is just nonsense. There may be people out there who have decided to wait for a new model before upgrading, but I am sure they will be outnumbered by those who want/need a 15 PB now. Remember, apart for the larger screen there isnt really a performance gap between the 17" and 15". And for those wating, your best bet is lookikng like september/october at the earliest, when the entire PB line will be due for a small upgrade as is customary.So my advice is do you want to wait for a new 15" or do you want to buy a Ti. There is no should about it, it is not a moral question.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    >wont a 15 PB and a 20"LCD cost more than a 17pb?

maybe.

but you get 2 screens for that price, spanning etc.

the 20" lcds are god like.