iTunes & iPhoto interface inconsistencies?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

The edge is wrong.

The metal is darker and have banded artifacts.

The window titles are embedded into the metal.

Close - perhaps - but why not make it identical? The iTunes team knows how to.

Besides the terrible UI, iMovie and iPhoto are also the slowest iApps.

There is obviously a bug in the window widget placement and it is a reasonable assumption that this will be fixed in the next update. Yet 'terrible' seems like too harsh a characterization of the UI.

Inconsistencies are not inherently bad. Its just that we are more used to seeing bad interfaces which suffer from inconsistency than interfaces which suffer from being overly-consistent. Its definately possible to be overly consistent. The ability to immediately and subconsciously distinguish between two windows/apps should not be underestimated.

When I go out and buy a new pan for my kitchen, it won't match my current cookware. Would it be worth it to re-machine the brushed aluminum mixing bowls to remedy their inconsistent appearence?

Why is it terrible for apps to appear to be made out of slightly different metal? (actually curious)
  • Reply 22 of 26
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

There is obviously a bug in the window widget placement and it is a reasonable assumption that this will be fixed in the next update. Yet 'terrible' seems like too harsh a characterization of the UI.

I'm not talking about the wrong placement of the colored buttons - which is a bug.

Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

When I go out and buy a new pan for my kitchen, it won't match my current cookware. Would it be worth it to re-machine the brushed aluminum mixing bowls to remedy their inconsistent appearence?

Why is it terrible for apps to appear to be made out of slightly different metal? (actually curious)

If the pan is made by the same company and is part of the same cookware series, it would be bad if it didn't look like the other cookware in the same series.

The wrong brush metal interface in iMovie and iPhoto shows a lack of interest/capabilities/attention to details, and does the same thing apply to the code?

Is it a coincidence that those two programs are the slowest of the Apple apps?
  • Reply 23 of 26
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

If the pan is made by the same company and is part of the same cookware series, it would be bad if it didn't look like the other cookware in the same series.

Excellent point.

I am just wishing for software that is cared about - right down to the tiniest detail.

The Apple Human Interface guidelines are really a cornerstone of what sets Apple apart from a lot of other computer manufacturers in terms of the user experience they offer.

If they slip up on this, what else are they prepared to let slip?
  • Reply 24 of 26
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I tend to mutter darkly but in the end generally shrug over the very minor inconsistencies between brushed-metal apps that need to work with 10.1, but I too find the super-squashed, misaligned widgets bug introduced in iPhoto with the recent x.x.1 update utterly confounding. It's really ugly.

What's going on?
  • Reply 25 of 26
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Well, they did fix the widgets in iMovie with the 3.0.3 update (along with a lot of other stuff).
  • Reply 26 of 26
    I'm more irritated with buttons that lack text labels (also found in iApps). Small glitches in 'decor' are a pain for those with some aesthetic sense, but things that unnecessarily slow people down are worse.

Quote:

Would it be worth it to re-machine the brushed aluminum mixing bowls to remedy their inconsistent appearence?

What would you think if you saw an aluminum bowl with a pan handle attached to it? Or a frying pan with two short handles on each side? Why not make stop signs at intersections within a mile of a café blue? Most people could handle those changes, but they tend not to be made. Maybe there's a reason.