Some Star Trek Enterprise rantings...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

DS9 has been my favorite Trek series so far. I'd say, however, that it took the writers a while to flesh out Sisko's character -- for the first couple of seasons, his character was not very compelling or interesting. In general, however, I think DS9 hit its stride must faster than ST:NG or Voyager. It did better with the development of alien cultures, and got more of its interesting story ideas out of cultural conflict and political intrigue, rather than relying on gee-whiz sci-fi concepts and morality plays like a lot of other Trek stuff.

Now when, dammit, is DS9 going to start rerunning in syndication?

I agree with you, DS9 is the best serie for me (but i have just seen the original series and TNG )
  • Reply 42 of 47
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    You guys are a tad harsh sometimes, I find the show entertaining, especially the past few episodes. First Flight among those top three...anyway

Let me elaborate on the timeline

24th century: Picard takes command of the fleet and destroys the Borg Cube near Earth, just below it blows up, it launches a Borg sphere and travels back to earth of 2060. They do they're fighting and the debri of the sphere winds up in Antartica.

2152 - a anartica expedition force uncover the debri along with the frozen remains of some borg. They take them into their artic observation for further study. They discover these nanoprobes are repairing the cell membranes. Eventually enough repair allows them to becomes reanimated, then they assimiliate the artic team, steal the shuttle and escape.

Enterprise pursues coarse of shuttle which is steadily increasing speed, the doctor is semi-infected, but uses, uh tachion radiation to destroy the nano probes. Just before the shuttle is destroyed, he heard or saw a string of numbers. The numbers turned out to be geometric light year map to earth, this was sent to the Borg homeworld or HQ, or whatever its called. However it would take 200 years to get there.

Then again, one would assume that Borg got the charts when they scanned Picard's ship.

Yep, I do like Star Trek, I realize that the shows arnt master pieces of TV, but they arnt something ludicrous and silly like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Ok, I must get back to my homemade electromagnetic levitator!
  • Reply 43 of 47
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    ...and what's the deal with Tachyon radiation/particles? That's like the Star Trek go-to entity to make "miracles" happen. Didn't the Borg use it to open temporal jump gates in First Contact? Wasn't it involved in the All Good Things finale in a "going backwards in time" sort of manner? Then there was a TNG episode where it is used to detect cloaked Romulan ships crossing a blockade zone, no? ...and now it can be used to treat Borg nanoprobe activity? ...and how come they know about Tachyons in Enterprise time period, but not a single mention of it in TOS time period? I just assumed this was something that was discovered in TNG era, since that's the first time I ever heard it used.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Tachyons in our time period

guugle is guud
  • Reply 45 of 47
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    mmm... ponn farr is about to get a lot of google hits

here vulcan kitty...
  • Reply 46 of 47
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

...and what's the deal with Tachyon radiation/particles? That's like the Star Trek go-to entity to make "miracles" happen. Didn't the Borg use it to open temporal jump gates in First Contact? Wasn't it involved in the All Good Things finale in a "going backwards in time" sort of manner? Then there was a TNG episode where it is used to detect cloaked Romulan ships crossing a blockade zone, no? ...and now it can be used to treat Borg nanoprobe activity? ...and how come they know about Tachyons in Enterprise time period, but not a single mention of it in TOS time period? I just assumed this was something that was discovered in TNG era, since that's the first time I ever heard it used.

Tachyons are a theoretical particle that didn't exist at the time of TOS. Since they were first postulated they have been used in dozens of science fiction stories many of them not Star Trek.

We've been over this a million times. If Enterprise stayed within the confines of TOS it would be ( and look ) silly. In some ways science and technology has surpasted TOS so you have to make allowances. Because Tachyons exist above the speed of light perhaps they affect the functioning ( faster than they can adapt ) of the CPU of the nanoprobes.

It's just a TV show and they are a plot device to further the story line about science that's still unknown to us.