Left handers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I never understood why righties use their right hand for the mouse. I use my right hand for my mouse because I need my left hand, the more dextrous one, for simultaneous keyboard use. Isn't it easier for people to use their dominant hand for the keyboard and their relatively clumsy hand for the mouse?

I suppose for us, the left hand gets quite good for keyboarding
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Lefty.

My youngest brother is also a lefty, but that could be because I made him do everything left-handed since he was born. Just one of the many psychological experiments I've run on my family.

Unfortunately, I found out much later that making somebody switch hands messes them up (in varying degrees). Ooopsie.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

I'm left handed. My dream was to be a left handed pitcher but alas now I am just a left handed internet troll. Though I use both hands to mouse and type so really I am more of an ambidextrious troll.

Though I imagine your lefty is a very dexterous cockpilot, ye son of Onan.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Lefty.

And my twin brother is a righthander.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fangorn

Given the number of things he does right handed just to avoid the hassle (for example, he plays guitar right handed ), he probably qualifies more as ambidextrous.

That's most lefties in one way or another. Doors, appliances and various handles/levers makes most lefites become at least somewhat dextrous at right-handed tasks. I heard that Paul "southpaw" McCartney learned the guitar upside down so he could play it left-handed but still be able to pick up any guitar and play it.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I'm not kidding.

And no animals or power tools were involved.

Serious Bummer...sorry to hear about that...

On a lighter note re ambidexterousness..most left handers by dint of need from an early age end up using both hands.

I can write with both..( & read ha-ha ) ...true it looks like scrawl, but I can makes sense of it..

I love playing table tennis or anything else with a raquet or a bat, because I am equally comfortable slugging it from both sides...

Drives the opposition nuts..constantly having to re-adjust field positions....he he he

I long to see future children growing up where they can use both hands equally well..kinda like using both sides of the brain rather than being lop-sided.....
  • Reply 27 of 42
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

[B]Serious Bummer...sorry to hear about that...

Meh. It's no big deal. Well, it is. But it's not. Aw hell, I give up. heh.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Meh. It's no big deal. Well, it is. But it's not. Aw hell, I give up. heh.

On another note, It's 10.50 in the morning where I am..& I sometimes think that I must be living in the late " Nightshift " section for most other appleinsiders...Might explain why so few are around to chat with.\
  • Reply 29 of 42
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

JC, why were you switched? My grandmother was switched when she was young, but those were quite different times.

<waves hello to my fellow southpaws>

I was quite young and do not remember the event

Seriously, I think my granfather talked my parents into it. Saying that i would always stick out in school using left mits n such. as it turns out i stuck out anyway
  • Reply 30 of 42
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

On another note, It's 10.50 in the morning where I am..& I sometimes think that I must be living in the late " Nightshift " section for most other appleinsiders...Might explain why so few are around to chat with.

HA!

its 1:13am in the morn for me. and i have to work in the morning

real left footed men stay up till 2am every night
  • Reply 31 of 42
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    well crap, i must be left handed and not know it.

• Reply 32 of 42
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    There's only one thing that I do more often with my left hand than my right hand...
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

There's only one thing that I do more often with my left hand than my right hand...

Something tells me it's probably a thingamajig that needs stroking...so keep it hidden away from the thread
  • Reply 34 of 42
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Curious, what causes the determination for left or right???

Myself I am a righty but wish I were ambi, ambi makes so much more sense to me.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by LiquidR

[B]Curious, what causes the determination for left or right???

Good question..Re Lefties....A lot of the theories I've read over the years have suggested everything from delinquent behaviour, poor upbringing, incorrect neural crossover wiring,etc leading to higher suicide rates, crime, insanity blah blah etc etc....

Naturally most ( if not all ) written by right handed doctors / researchers.....who have often seen left handedness as a problem & not a natural condition.

The Romans ( god Bless em ) were the first to downgrade lefties status, equating the word sinister ( evil ) with being left handed.

In my years as an educational psychologist I came to believe that in evolutionary terms left handers ( more truly ambidexters ) possibly represent the next evolutionary step in our human journey.

Perhaps human beings are evolving beyond specific handism/ eyeism/ footism & moving towards a more evolutionary ambidexterity.

Only time will bear this out, but I suspect that more fully ambidexterous humans will be the next great leap forward.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i havn't been able to post due to my childish ways (and nazi rulers)

so i will tell u

I'M LEFT HANDED
  • Reply 37 of 42
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

I never understood why righties use their right hand for the mouse. I use my right hand for my mouse because I need my left hand, the more dextrous one, for simultaneous keyboard use. Isn't it easier for people to use their dominant hand for the keyboard and their relatively clumsy hand for the mouse?

What keys control undo, cut, copy, paste, all, save, close and quit?
  • Reply 38 of 42
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

it makes sense to use ur more dextrous hand...but either way u adapt...its kinda nicer for left handers though i think
  • Reply 39 of 42
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

OH yeah. Duh. Must suck to be a righty.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I'm a lefty... in both ways...