The NEW US currency. Now with more color!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Looks pretty classy. Check out this article.

Has anyone ever encountered a counterfit bill? Not just a display one but had one actually passed to you in a transaction.

Why must we always strive to be number 1 at everything? We are getting awfully close to stealing the title of GAYEST MONEY EVER from Brazil.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    If you didn't hear, if you hold our money up to a light source our watermarks are now from that great American institution....Playboy! That's right, tasteful nudes on every bill!
  • Reply 23 of 30
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Why must we always strive to be number 1 at everything? We are getting awfully close to stealing the title of GAYEST MONEY EVER from Brazil.

I didn't find any reference to one-upmanship in the post or article. Which are you referring to?

As for the bill redesign...I was hoping for some actual color, but I knew it would only be a subtle hue change...sigh.

Here are my requirements for good paper currency:

1) The bills are all the same size for the purposes of keeping money-handling machinery less complex and because different sized bills mixing together increases wear and tear. This is a feature of many other currencies I just hate.

2) <under 3 inches in height. Some foreign bills are ridiculously tall. I have a special bi-fold wallet for foreign money that barely fits in my jeans pocket. And tri-fold wallets suck. US bills are just about right, though they could actually be shorter lengthwise.

3) Distinguishable colors. We'll have to wait and see on this one. The CNN image doesn't look promising.

4) Consistent design. Each bill should look similar. Many countries have more than one issuer of currency, and they use different designs for the same monetary values...yuck
  • Reply 24 of 30
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    actually ...

the 'feel' of Euros imo, are superior to the US.

But the variation in sizes are a little bothersome.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I didn't find any reference to one-upmanship in the post or article. Which are you referring to?\\

You don't watch the simpons, do you?
  • Reply 26 of 30
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

I just love the fact that Charles Darwin is on the £10 note. People in the U.S. would throw a fit.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    portions of the US would likely insist on a disclaimer sticker on the Darwin Bill.

i'd always thought that unique sizes for paper money were intended to make it easier for the blind, the same way coins all have unique edges to help distinguish them from similarly sized change

the swiss bank notes seem to have equated size with denomination... smaller bill, smaller value... big tall bill, hello phallic symbolism

Aussie plastic money seemed to have some problems with its ink being erasable (regular pencil eraser) in early printings... assume they've figured this out now. side benefit, might be less likely to pick up cocaine residue, primary benefit is longer life vs. wear and tear, which degrades paper money so fast that many countries (including Canada) have removed low denomination paper money (1 and 2 dollar bills) and replaced them with coins (Loonie and Twoonie)

the Canadian 5 with former prime minister Wilfrid Laurier can be converted into a very convincing Mr. Spock with a simple pencil and shaded bowl hair cut.

here's the effect on the old five

the back of the Canadian 10 celebrates our history of Peacekeeping (UN) and includes lines from Dr. John MacRae's famous poem of remembrance "In Flanders Fields"

the hockey scene on the back of the 5 includes poetry about life on the outdoor rink as experienced by millions of canadians

sadly, the most colourful canadian bill is no longer printed... the last fifty still comes from the period of "animals"...

whereas the back of the 70's fifty had a brilliant colour rendering of the RCMP Musical Ride.

images and background details are at the Bank of Canada and at this site, complete with examples of some rare $25 dollar bills

and what... no pictures of the techno-money now in circulation with embedded smart chips? hard to do durably in paper... not so hard if we're moving to polymer like the aussies
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

You don't watch the simpons, do you?

not too often, no.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

I just love the fact that Charles Darwin is on the £10 note. People in the U.S. would throw a fit.

I think the same number of people would be truly offended as those who just simply love it. Meanwhile everyone in between would be wondering why in the hell the Treasury would do something that would obviously not fly with a good fraction of the population.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Why do you have Liebermann on your five dollar note?

That person is actually former Canadian Prime Minister Sir Wilfred Laurier. He was the leader of the Liberal Party, one of the most successful political parties in Canada.

Here is another bill.........

Unfortunately, the Bank of Canada, on February 18th 2000, announced that the $1,000 note was to be permanently retired from circulation. The Bank cited increased counterfeiting (yes, there are a few people crazy enough to counterfeit the G-note!) and problems associated with money laundering and other related illegal activities. Drug traffickers in particular have taken considerable interest in our $1,000 note in recent years.