Doom 3 Video Trailer at Gamespot...OMFG!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    what the fuck

• Reply 2 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

what the fuck

0_o... whats that supposed to mean and how did that come up?
  • Reply 3 of 29
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    GameSpot requires you to download a 3rd party utility to download the video to your machine.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Exactly. And it's not available for Mac.

I got OmniWeb to spoof itself as IE6 for Windows, but that didn't get me much further since I'd have to actually use use the utility they offer.

Lame.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Gamespot is very lame. I downloaded this Kontiki and have been trying to download this but nothing. It's been over an hours.

And people wonder why P2P exists
  • Reply 6 of 29
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Weird...

My bad...I actually downloaded the trailer here. Sorrya about the confusion...I didn't realize Gamespot had such a shitty way of serving their media.

Oh...and you'll need mplayer or vlc for the linked movie.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Well doom has come a long ways.. I Remember playing it back in the day thinking wow this is so great.. Its so fun and the graphics RULE. heh, Well it should be fun when it comes out. The begining of the trailer really reminded me of Resident evil though. \
  • Reply 8 of 29
    It would be nice if I could just get a nice quicktime video from somewhere..... (anybody?)
  • Reply 9 of 29
    paulppaulp Posts: 67member
    Looks really cool, and I want to get excited, but I just know that when it finally comes to the Mac it's gonna be dog-slow on my 1ghz iMac.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I actually downloaded the trailer here.

Oh WOW. That IS impressive. (I played it in MPlayer)

I can't wait! .... to have to buy a new computer that'll run it decently, that is. \
  • Reply 11 of 29
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PaulP

Looks really cool, and I want to get excited, but I just know that when it finally comes to the Mac it's gonna be dog-slow on my 1ghz iMac.

About a year ago Carmack said it wouldn't run on a GeForce MX2. I will buy a 970 for this game.

• Reply 12 of 29
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

It would be nice if I could just get a nice quicktime video from somewhere..... (anybody?)

I think you can get the necessary Divx codec from www.divx.com.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    yah- that does look good!

Hmmmmmm- I wonder how my iBook 500 will run this game?

and a big old JK for that comment.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a dual 970 w/ a wide display and a 9800 to run this beast.

Why can't apple sell the 17" display from the powerbook and iMac as an ADC display- I would be happy with that- but no- I've have to get the 20" for now.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    The most impressive things I could see from the trailer was the texture and lighting effects (bumpmaps and real shadows...as opposed to simulated), the deformable environment (doors getting bent and ripped off by the two creatures, the half-mech-half-beast creature forcing his way through the piping, etc...) and the ragdoll physics (dead zombies getting thrown around by some mysterious invisible force, and by the huge ass creature throwing a zombie that just happened to be in his way while chasing the marine).

Not sure if this was specific to the trailer but facial expressions on the marine's face when the zombie started crankin' up the chainsaw was pretty cool.

I'm glad id software is raising the bar on game physics and graphics detail!

Imagine a Marathon sequel using the Doom 3 engine. Too bad Bung...err, Microsoft won't be doing that...let alone allow Bungie to make a Mac version.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    ..... is the game supposedly being ported to mac?
  • Reply 16 of 29
    cybermonkeycybermonkey Posts: 604member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I think you can get the necessary Divx codec from www.divx.com.

get divx doctor, this will convert the avi to .mov and fix the audio problems with avi in quicktime.

That intro totally rocks.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Try IGN.com. They are much more Mac friendly. BTW: Doom3 sucks. If you want a real demo. Check out Halo 2 for X-Box.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

Try IGN.com. They are much more Mac friendly. BTW: Doom3 sucks. If you want a real demo. Check out Halo 2 for X-Box.

that has got to be the funniest joke yet, try halo 2 lol ok.

• Reply 19 of 29
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

..... is the game supposedly being ported to mac?

Um... no. I believe the Mac version is being done concurrently alongside the Windows version.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

I believe the Mac version is being done concurrently alongside the Windows version.

Correct.

At one of the last MacWorlds, John Carmack spoke about Doom 3 and showed a demo of it running on a Mac with a GeForce 3. It's been a while and my memory is a little fuzzy on the details, but I do remember clearly that Mac and Windows versions should have a simultaneous launch.