970 appearance: Educated guesses

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

Make the case a bit slimmer. I think the new case will be less rounded than the current one. Making it seem smaller than the current one, but keeping the internal space about the same.

Yeah. The current case, while gorgeous is a little on the 'porky' side and needs to lose a 'few pounds'.

I think we'll see aluminium in there somewhere...but some kind of doff of the hat to the Cube's styling. I regret that the 'most' beautiful Apple computer (in person...it was...stunning...) to date is consigned to history rather than as an actual product.

I'd like to see a stretch Cube(oid) tower with shorter or no skirt, front loading...and grill on the back. It could look really nice.

Apple have been working on the mythical 'G5' for a loooong time now. I'm sure they've got something special planned. I wasn't sure about the new iPod design until I saw one yesterday (in the flesh) and my, gorgeous. Slimmer and gorgeous. If Apple were to take a 'touch sensitive' cue with 'LED' backlighting and blue ambient case glow when in th dark et al. Could be like the tower from the future. Some of the PC cases are getting some nice touches on them ala Advent with compact tower form and the odd nice 'blue glow' power buttons and the odd suitable 'accent' in the design. Not Ives Apple nice. But Apple's Tower needs to move on now...without sacrificing that legendary easy of access. I think the handles will go. Time to leave that behind. It's dictating the overall design too much.

Either way, Jobs, Ives and Apple will surprise us. It's time for a change on the Tower. And with a new CPU, it's really quite inevitable. No Apple design has really survived a shift to a new product. That isn't what the 'new' Apple is about. Old glories like Claris the Dog Cow and Cubes and OS 9s...or 'not invented in Macdom or software dependence on M$ are either gone or going.

If the rumours of a 32 gig of ram UBER Mac are to believed...can you imagine the workstation crowd? They'll be beating down the doors of Apple stores...!

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 62 of 80
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

I think the handles will go. Time to leave that behind. It's dictating the overall design too much.

Yes, handles have to go, at least in the current form. I think the new case will have a much "cleaner" design, borrowing some of the white, chrome, and clear plastics from the iMac, possibly with some aluminum elements. Keep the door. Add one USB and FW port on the front. Some new lighting effects. But probably they will add something new. A whole new element to desktop cases that will differentiate them from all other beige, black or mac-inspired desktop cases, and that will be copied in under 30 days (I'm willing to bet on it ) by Dell.

New case, new ultrafast processor, new ultrafast os, new impressive features, ripple aqua effects, safari, iOffice, XPress, new commersials this time showing off AQUA. Yes you heard me. It's insane that Apple still hasn't done this. I mean, people see the case. Think it's nice. People see aqua and the dock, the geenie effect, then they're impressed. The fluidity, sharp clean display. This is what really impresses people I know. Apple need to show people os X, and I have no idea why they haven't done this yet. Show them iMovie, show them iTunes, show them mail, show the EVERYTHING. The switchers commercials are nice enough, but I bet a lot of people would really like to see what the h3ll they are supposed to switch to.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    FWIW:

You have said that, historically, advances in design

have been driven by the development of new materials.

Which new materials excite you most now?

Ives:

Materials, processes, product architecture and construction

are huge drivers in design. Polymer advances mean that we

can now create composites to meet very specific functional

goals and requirements. From a processing point of view

we can now do things with plastic that we were previously

told were impossible. Twin shooting materials - moulding

different plastics together or co-moulding plastic to metal

gives us a range of functional and formal opportunites that

really didn't exist before. The iPod is made from twin-shot

plastic with no fasteners and no battery doors enabling

us to create a design which was dense completely sealed.

Metal forming and, in particular, new methods of joining

metals with advanced adhesives and laser welding

is another exciting area right now.
  • Reply 64 of 80
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Quote:

Make the case a bit slimmer. I think the new case will be less rounded than the current one. Making it seem smaller than the current one, but keeping the internal space about the same.

If they are going to refine the current form factor as opposed to a completely new and radical design (which is probably a bad idea for a professional machine when the current usability is quite good) then I think they need to strip back the plastic of the current towers and mold/fasion the internal box in a way similar to the X-serve. The moulded plastic and handles add quite a bit to the bulkiness of the tower. This means less curviness and more straight lines, but not in a bad way. As for the handles I think a cool idea would be to have chrome cylindrical handles that pull up from the top front and back of the tower and go down again when not needed. They could design it so the handles look almost like a part of the machine when not in use.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Uh oh . I figured i'd post this here rather than start a new topic. I hope there is not a big problem here that could delay our beloved 970

Quote:

IBM Shares Halted

Mon June 2, 2003 04:46 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Shares of International Business Machines Corp. IBM.N were halted on Monday in over-the-counter trading, pending news.

IBM said in a statement shortly after the halt it is the subject of an investigation by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

It said the probe is related to revenue recognition in 2000 and 2001.

• Reply 66 of 80
    Hopefully this IBM thing isn't too ugly.
  • Reply 67 of 80
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    I have to wonder whether the impending announcement of Final Cut Pro 4 and Shake 3 are in any way related to the new 970 PowerMacs? Both are planned for a June release I hear, and maybe on June 9th according to some. Obviously, Apple has known that the 970 was coming for a couple years now, and wouldn't it be smart to showcase 64-bit applications when the Power Macs are shown? Final Cut Pro 4 and Shake 3 may be the first 64-bit Mac applications, no?

Any thoughts on the possible June 9th announcement, just two weeks before WWDC? Apple could just demo it and announce it at WWDC. Why two week ahead? One remote possibility comes to mind. Maybe Apple wishes to officially leak just enough information ahead of WWDC to raise a great deal of interest and anticipation. Apple may want to pack the house, and have the eyes of the world focused on this event. Possible?
  • Reply 68 of 80
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

I have to wonder whether the impending announcement of Final Cut Pro 4 and Shake 3 are in any way related to the new 970 PowerMacs?

How could they not be? They didn't develop those apps to run on G4s.
  • Reply 69 of 80
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    FCP4 is in no way related to the 970. They have stated that this version was exclusively tested on the Dual G4, and this version is so packed with features that the push is simply to get all of it working bug free.

The next version of FCP won't have so many new features, so maybe that is when 970 optimization will occur, a 64 bit version or whatever.

Previous releases of new machines are followed by a slight software update if necessary, and as mentioned before, the necessary tweaks may already be in the code. But surely FCP will be the Apple app that benefits from the speed and bandwidth advantages of the 970.

Actually, FCP is often behind the Apple tech curve. For example, FCP 2 was released just a few days before OS X began sales, the reason being so that it wouldn't have to run on X for a while.
  • Reply 70 of 80
    willywalloowillywalloo Posts: 408member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Yes, handles have to go, at least in the current form. I think the new case will have a much "cleaner" design, borrowing some of the white, chrome, and clear plastics from the iMac, possibly with some aluminum elements.

>>Most likely it will have no white on it, only because it doesn't have an 'i' before the name, if they did do white, it would be copying ideas from older products.

Quote:

Originally posted by s.metcalf

The moulded plastic and handles add quite a bit to the bulkiness of the tower. This means less curviness and more straight lines, but not in a bad way. [/B]

>>Comment about bulki-ness. Because of the 'bulki-ness' we are able to have CD-ROM'S horizontally mounted, and that's a good way to keep them for speed. Now it would be nice if there was a completely new standard announced in portable storage, but that won't happen for a long time, maybe USB/FIREWIRE memory sticks will become big enough and cheap enough that we could replace one for the other.

Hey, you could at least have multiple 'drives' hooked up at one time. But that would seem awkard having 20 of those things hooked up at once...back to the CD drawing board.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    PSX looks like what Soldam of Japan have created a while ago:

Part of the Soldam Figaro line
  • Reply 72 of 80
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mugwump

FCP4 is in no way related to the 970. They have stated that this version was exclusively tested on the Dual G4, and this version is so packed with features that the push is simply to get all of it working bug free.

. . .Actually, FCP is often behind the Apple tech curve. For example, FCP 2 was released just a few days before OS X began sales, the reason being so that it wouldn't have to run on X for a while.

Thank you for posting that insight. I had not thought about it that way. By releasing FCP-4 before the 970 PowerMacs, it tends to avoid the question, "Why isn't it 64-bits?" Also, what I didn't think about at the time I posted is that the first OS on 970 PowerMacs will be Jaguar, almost certainly. The new Macs will not be ready for 64-bit applications until Panther is installed.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

I think we'll see aluminium in there somewhere...but some kind of doff of the hat to the Cube's styling. I regret that the 'most' beautiful Apple computer (in person...it was...stunning...) to date is consigned to history rather than as an actual product.

I'd like to see a stretch Cube(oid) tower with shorter or no skirt, front loading...and grill on the back. It could look really nice.

The trick is, of course, that the Cube's styling is based on proportions. If you want to keep the Cube's mesmerizing appearance, you have to make sure that any changes in size hew to the golden ratios. The Cube succeeded as a design in no small part because it was a cube, not an almost-cube or a sorta-cube.

I posted an idea for a PowerMac design that was vaguely Cube-like but rectangular, and which used golden ratios, back when Dorsals roamed the earth, but no-one picked up on it. :P

Thanks to 709's nifty link, we have some ideas to work from. The current PowerMac is a metal case with plastic bits screwed on. It sounds like Ives may be able to come up with a far more seamless case (literally!) the second time around, either will all plastic or with plastic and metal both. That sounds Cube-like - especially since that machine was one of the first to really push the envelope materials-wise.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    g::mastag::masta Posts: 121member
    i hope it looks like the deathstar, then i can hang it from the ceiling along with the x-wings and ti-fighters

i agree that el capitan is a bit porky . could def be thinner .
  • Reply 75 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

>>Most likely it will have no white on it, only because it doesn't have an 'i' before the name, if they did do white, it would be copying ideas from older products.

Huh. Older products. I don't see why it would not have any white on it. It seems like white is Apples "new" colour these days with almost every product going in that direction. It will not be all white, but the "background" will probably be in some sort of white-ish color with use of chrome, clear plastic, or maybe aluminum.

709, it was interesting to read about Ive and Apple playing with new methods to "mold" different materials together. That could probably mean that the separate metal and plastic chassis we see on the current powermacs is going away, and is to be exchanged with maybe a more complex but smarter chassis.
  • Reply 76 of 80
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    No, no, no.

Aluminium/white/chrome is just SOOOOO last year.

This year it's all about palisander, baby. Yeah, shagadelic, baby.

So folks, here it is - the 970 for the Wallpaper* generation:

• Reply 77 of 80
    White IS WHITE ! I am saying that the color white will not be as prevalent as the chrome or aluminum color. Pro lines don't go white.

-walloo.

p.s. pro lines do go palisander, however...if it's groovy it's dam(n) sexy baby.

Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl

No, no, no.

Aluminium/white/chrome is just SOOOOO last year.

This year it's all about palisander, baby. Yeah, shagadelic, baby.

So folks, here it is - the 970 for the Wallpaper* generation:

• Reply 78 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

White IS WHITE ! I am saying that the color white will not be as prevalent as the chrome or aluminum color. Pro lines don't go white.

I disagree. It may not be "iMac-y" white, but I'm ALMOST willing to bet on that it's the plastic material that's is going to be the main part of the new powermac tower, with some details in aluminium or chrome.
  • Reply 79 of 80
    mediamanmediaman Posts: 169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

709, it was interesting to read about Ive and Apple playing with new methods to "mold" different materials together. That could probably mean that the separate metal and plastic chassis we see on the current powermacs is going away, and is to be exchanged with maybe a more complex but smarter chassis.

There is a fair amount of empty space between the Plastic and the Steal of the current case. They could keep the internal space and the door almost the same (well as similar as the Quicksilver and MDD's) but make it look much slimmer by molding the plastic to the steal (think of how the older ipod looked), make the handles match up and 'mold in' in a similar fashion (the handels are a neat solution to the 'feet' problem required by the side door).

Doing it like this would allow for the case to be 'slimmed' without resultig in somethig resembaling a Lian Li look alike.
  • Reply 80 of 80
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

"We've got a lot of things to go over today, so let's get started.

First, the 970 PowerBook. [etc.] And it's available right now.

Then, the 970 iMac. [etc.] You can pick it up at the Apple Store today.

And we're pleased to unveil the all-new 970 iBook. Again, you can get yourself one right after the keynote.

Oh, and there's One More Thing(TM):

[silence]

New PowerMac G4s: 1.01GHz, dual 1.26GHz, dual 1.44GHz, available in September."

I hope he has the sense to do this behind bullet proof glass!