"CONFIRMED" FireWire 2 in Next Wave of Macs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    I recall in an interview that Mr. Rubenstein himself said that Firewire 2 was coming soon/next.

Sorry, don't have a link to it. But if he's saying that then...I guess its probable we'll have Firewire 2 in the 'G4 Rio' Macs at San Fran'...or soon after (late January heheheheh...)

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 22 of 30
    anyone have any idea how long it will take for firewire 2 to scale up to 1600 Mbps? (i think I even remember hearing 3200 Mbps but with different cabling)

Also I thought we would now see native drives instead of ide to firewire bridges...
  • Reply 23 of 30
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Kecksy, I should have emphasized that it's going to be a long time before anyone is streaming Native HD DV off their hard-drives. (1920x1080 x 24bpp @ 24p) every second. Whaddaya get?

1194393600 bits per second or approx 150MB per sec.

1 drive? nope. 2 drives? nope. 4 drives? now we're getting somewhere.

RAID will be the only option for some time to come when dealing with this very demanding footage in real time. Only film studios will want to do it. Even TV will be much more content to work with a saner 30MBps compressed stream. So it's kinda moot: Few will require such capacity, and there will be software and hardware options that take the rest of us close enough.

So yeah, 800Mbps (100MB) firewire2 is good enough since you could devise a 2 channel system for firewire RAIDs if you needed to get beyond that, like SanCube does to get 65MB sustained from it's X-stream firewire RAID box. And most digital video systems will record something a lot more manageable than 150MBps to tape.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    "CONFIRMED" Airport 2 in Next Wave of Macs

And it will use the 802.11a standard. See? They will begin approving products for the specification at the end of October. LOOK <a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0210/09.80211a.php"; target="_blank">HERE!!!</a> :eek: :eek:

------------

I'm sorry, but you logic sucks . I must agree that I wouldn't be surprised if we see FW2 in the next revision, but it most certainly isn't "CONFIRMED" by this little tidbit.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Kecksy, I should have emphasized that it's going to be a long time before anyone is streaming Native HD DV off their hard-drives. (1920x1080 x 24bpp @ 24p) every second. Whaddaya get?

1194393600 bits per second or approx 150MB per sec.

1 drive? nope. 2 drives? nope. 4 drives? now we're getting somewhere.

RAID will be the only option for some time to come when dealing with this very demanding footage in real time. Only film studios will want to do it. Even TV will be much more content to work with a saner 30MBps compressed stream. So it's kinda moot: Few will require such capacity, and there will be software and hardware options that take the rest of us close enough.

So yeah, 800Mbps (100MB) firewire2 is good enough since you could devise a 2 channel system for firewire RAIDs if you needed to get beyond that, like SanCube does to get 65MB sustained from it's X-stream firewire RAID box. And most digital video systems will record something a lot more manageable than 150MBps to tape.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh! Well! You HAD to mention RAID.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Yeah I talked to that dude I know at my campus computer store about this FW2. He tipped me off to some new Powerbooks coming out soon, so I reckoned he might spill the beans on FW as well. Sure enough he squealed like a stuck pig when I asked him a few questions.

Just as a note -

I worked at the campus bookstore computer department at RIT in Rochester, NY for 2 1/2 years and I never had a single inside tidbit of information.

Apple Reps don't know anything either - I often quizzed ours whenever he was around.

The soonest we would get confirmation of new Powerbooks coming in would be only if IngramMicro was out of stock.

That and official announcements.

Every single tidbit of information I ever had I ever got off of rumors sites.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    ok, I was a click away from buying a dual 1.25 today, but FW2 would make a big difference to me as a heavy video user.

If I didn't wait till Jan 2003/4/5, would there be an upgrade option to my machine when it's finally available?
  • Reply 28 of 30
    you could always purchase a 3rd party pci card...
  • Reply 29 of 30
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    As a former Store Manager for a 'large' Apple reseller before i made a run for the hills I am here to tell you they retailer have 0 clue on new product features. Yes, they may get EOL news, etc... but not tidbit one.

Hell, my Apple regional rep didn't know what was coming.

The whole, AppleStore, CompUSA, Student Store line is utterly false. A bunch of guys who wish they knew, but in fact have no real info.

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: zaz ]</p>
  • Reply 30 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by zaz:

<strong>The whole, AppleStore, CompUSA, Student Store line is utterly false. A bunch of guys who wish they knew, but in fact have no real info.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And yet we get info periodically. Nothing on the consumer end, but we knew a bit of XServe a few months before intro and sometimes a touch on Pro hardware (nothing now, sorry). Sometimes NDA, sometimes not.

Usually campus reps and the like. I think it depends a lot on the campus. CompUSA never gets this stuff, but AppleStore staff will occassionally catch info when they go to the campus. And a lot of AS staff know people at Apple that they get the random bit from. I know a few people at Apple and a few AS people and info flows a bit. No, nothing to say now.

Empty space on the wall and FW2 catalogues? I don't buy it. Sorry.