Good...But Disburbing Movies

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I first saw Koyaanisqatsi in high school as part of an AP Computer Science class. Cool teacher.

I love Philip Glass (I've even seen him perfom live on piano), and I love the way these films make you think about life and technology.

On a similar note, I saw Glass's fellow minimalist composer, Steve Reich's latest stage production, Three Tales, and it... uh... sucked.

I just saw Koyaanasqatsi performed live with the Phillipe Gass ensemble (and PG himself!) . . . It being one of my favorite movies that I show to all my students I was ellated . . . and it was awesome!!!!!

also, the third one just played in Pittsburgh with a live accompanyment but I missed it

I have to say that everything that worked in the first movie failed misserably in the second . . . even though the footage was as intense and pwerfull . . . I think that the filmmaker put too much of a 'one world one man' stamp on it and at times teh music was maudlin and overly grandiose(sp?) . . . I mean almost laughably so . . . it really dissappointed me when I saw it. . .

But I really look forward to the third one

anyway . . .. most truly good films are disturbing: if the film reveals something about the awesomeness of Becoming of Being, or of our own measley lot on this planet then it is bound to upset our placid complacent subterfuges
  • Reply 42 of 50
    American History X

Excellent film, but hard to watch.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

Donnie Darko

I'll second that!

Watch it with friends for good discussion afterward.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by son of Gib

most disturbing movies:

Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) - because it sucked SOOOO bad!!

It would have been OK if they had ended it where it should have ended instead of tacking on that bullshit future stuff.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I was f'n ANGRY about AI. The beginning and middle of the movie was so thought provoking and disturbing. Great cinema.

Then Speilburg turned it into f'n pinnochio.

Barto
  • Reply 46 of 50
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Then Speilburg turned it into f'n pinnochio.

And which Spielberg movies in the past 20 years don't degenerate into complete trash?
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

And which Spielberg movies in the past 20 years don't degenerate into complete trash?

empire of the sun (1987)

but i know what you mean, he has the hardest time ending movies.

the ending of schindler's list (this watch? how many could i have saved with this watch?) particularly soured me.