Dual 970 17" Powerbook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As far-fetched as this sounds, our (oh, so reliable...) MacOSRumors says:

"More details will be published throughout the week on Panther as well as Apple's use of the PowerPC 970. Not only might not the 970 be called a "G5" (Apple may drop the label altogether, calling chips by their names -- new chips in the PPC 750 family from IBM will exceed 1GHz, include 512K-1MB of on-chip L2 cache, and eventually even include a Velocity Engine unit, dropping the Altivec name as Motorola is wiped completely out of Apple's system lineup).....it may show up in Powerbooks a lot sooner than once thought. There's still a chance it might take a little longer than the PowerMacs and Xserves, but the Powerbook will not only move to PowerPC 970 processors very quickly....it may even employ dual PPC 970 processors as well as an impressively updated system architecture in the 17-inch Powerbook as soon as next January."

It almost sound slike they are implying that PowerBooks will get the 970 very soon. A dual processor powerbook better come with oven mitts...

Is MacOSRumors really out there (as usual) or is this possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    The facts we know (IBM's PPC970 announcement & documentation)do not preclude this, I'm going to believe what I want to believe - PB Here I Come!
  • Reply 2 of 40
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Yeah, a 970 PowerBook is possible given what we know about the 970. A dual processor PowerBook is sort of a left-field idea at this point. I'd rather Apple get just one 970 in the PowerBook instead of worrying about how to get two in there. I'd also like to say that MacOSRumors is off the wall, and they hardly, if ever, get anything right.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    I would imagine that Dual PB's will come when Apple has some Dual core chips to put in them. This would keep both the heat and power use down to a minimum. Puttin in Dual chips would require a lot of extra power, and use up critical space when the battery size is increased, extra "cooling" scheme is put in to place, the "wiring" and space for the chip itself. Somehow I dont see it happening, even on the 17" model.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Yeah, a 970 PowerBook is possible given what we know about the 970. A dual processor PowerBook is sort of a left-field idea at this point. I'd rather Apple get just one 970 in the PowerBook instead of worrying about how to get two in there.

And I think "just" a single 970 would give the powerbooks a nice performance jump that would place them firmly at the top of the "premier laptop computer" charts. At the current pricepoints the 970 would be great deals I think, with a 1.2 (or possibly 1.4) ghz in the new 15" and 17".

There are at least two major problems that I think would stop the 970 from being put in dual configs in a laptop, both being pointed out before, at least while the 970 is still 130 nm:

1. Heat - two 970 is going to make a lot of heat. It is going to need improved cooling, and maybe more powerful fans that will result in more noice.

2. Battery - I think it's more important to keep the battery life longer than have the "ultimate power book". If Apple releases a dual powerbook in the future, I hope we'll have options to just use one processor while on battery.

3. Complexity - Both cooling and layout of the internals is getting more and more difficult with new and faster (read hotter) components. This will become even more of a problem with a dual processor set-up, and will incrase price a lot.

netro
  • Reply 5 of 40
    macmikemacmike Posts: 96member
    I've heard this talk of dual processor Powerbooks before (I don't recall if it's only been MacOSRumors talking or not - but I don't think so). Sometimes I think that if I hear something once, it's just a rumor. But if you hear something several times from several sources, maybe it's true.

Once IBM shrinks the size wouldn't this be more possible? I don't know much about chips, but I thought they were going to be shrinking the fab size of the 970 even smaller in the fall... in time for a January release of something...

If Apple and IBM could make a dual Powerbook (with decent battery live and reasonable heat) I would get it...
  • Reply 6 of 40
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macmike

I've heard this talk of dual processor Powerbooks before (I don't recall if it's only been MacOSRumors talking or not - but I don't think so). Sometimes I think that if I hear something once, it's just a rumor. But if you hear something several times from several sources, maybe it's true.

Once IBM shrinks the size wouldn't this be more possible? I don't know much about chips, but I thought they were going to be shrinking the fab size of the 970 even smaller in the fall... in time for a January release of something...

If Apple and IBM could make a dual Powerbook (with decent battery live and reasonable heat) I would get it...

Of NETRO's 3 points, 1 & 2 will be lessened with the coming die shrink, but they would still need to increase battery size (and weight) to keep battery life at or abouve current levels. A die shrink will mean the chips are smaller (point 3), but you still need the cooling channels/heat sinks/fans to do the cooling. A dual core chip (980?) would effectively give them a dual processor machine without the need for additional mounting/cooling space, and should take up less energy and disapate less heat than 2 processors would, though I dont have any data on the power 4 to back this up it only makes sense.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    I just have to say that I don't see the point of having 2 "low end" 1.2 ghz processors in the powerbooks. If they put the 1.8 ghz in it, it would have almost the same power, but with less heat and design problems. It would make them a lot easier to design and manufacture too. And they don't need to make two separate motherboards. And I guess that a single 1.8/2.0, at least when shipped in 90 nm shape, would use a lot less juice than a dual 1.2 or 1.4 would. So instead of single 1.2 and dual 1.2 at the high end, I would be very pleased if I could buy a powerbook with a 1.6 to 1.8 ghz 970 in it by MWSF. This machine would smoke most wintel offerings out there I guess
  • Reply 8 of 40
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Just seems to me a rehash of MOSR's earlier and continually repeated rantings about dual-G4 PowerBooks. But with the 970 and its bretheren coming, at least it seems that much more practical.

Personally, I could see Apple shipping a dual-processor config. in the 17" form factor. There should be enough space in a size that large to address at least the cooling issue, right?

What sounds very plausible to me is the idea of a dual-processor PB, not with the 970, but the rumoured GOBI "G3+VMX" chip. From what I remember, it was supposed to be fully compliant with the spec for multiprocessor computing--or perhaps I'm thinking of Mojave.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Geezus...what about quad-970's in the 17" 'book?
  • Reply 10 of 40
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    mosr is really annoying!

after years of reading his b.s. stories i kinda wish that site had more downtime, if that is possible!

he needs to come up with logos for fantasy and recycled info.

he should put them next to each post as not to confuse anyone!
  • Reply 11 of 40
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Geezus...what about quad-970's in the 17" 'book?

BEHOLD the 19" powerbook

the duals are doable in a 17" form factor

i had posted something along those lines quite

some time ago where i covered speed stepping

as well as switching cpus on an as needed basis

i dont think heat will be as big an issue

noise is dependent on how well balanced the fans are

& its rpm

you can make a machine dead quiet if you put your mind to it

we are getting to the point where its getting harder & harder

to keep pumping up the clock cycles without the cpu getting

really hot

as consumer level computing moves into the 64bit space

we will see a lot of interest & r&d poured into parallization at the os level (think beos)

more efficient compilers etc etc so a lot more can be

done with a lower speed cpu.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    slackulaslackula Posts: 262member
    whoami: Agreed! And who would be stupid enough to respond to that ad they always have to donate money to the site? Like it takes a lot of money to put up a penny-ante rumor site with what is for the most part recycled and simply made up stories? If you've got money to burn, send it to a worth while site like Apple Insider....Sorry for the off-topic rant....
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

BEHOLD the 19" powerbook

the duals are doable in a 17" form factor

i had posted something along those lines quite

some time ago where i covered speed stepping

as well as switching cpus on an as needed basis

I don't think the 970 supports speed stepping. Is there any other way you can force the processor to use less power, like lower the voltage, without the processor becoming unstable. Turning processors on and off may may be possible. Even if it is "doable" it still doesen't mean that it's easy or doable for a reasonable consumer price. Some people may pay a premium for a dual processor powerbook, but I still think that a more powerful single solution would be a smarter choice. It can be hotter than one low power processor but it may be easyer to get rid of the heat because you have more room to place heat-sinks and fans. Quote:

i dont think heat will be as big an issue

noise is dependent on how well balanced the fans are

& its rpm

you can make a machine dead quiet if you put your mind to it

But still, fans do make noise, and the best solution is to use as few as possible, and hopefully trie to keep them at low rpm most of the time. They use battery life too.Quote:

we are getting to the point where its getting harder & harder

to keep pumping up the clock cycles without the cpu getting

really hot

as consumer level computing moves into the 64bit space

we will see a lot of interest & r&d poured into parallization at the os level (think beos)

more efficient compilers etc etc so a lot more can be

done with a lower speed cpu.

I'm not clever enough to comment on the last bit
  • Reply 14 of 40
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I remember when I first started following a few rumor sites, MOSR had the scoop on the cube, and I thought "what a great site"

Since that time, I can't recall them being even remotely correct on anything.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Im inclined to support the idea of a dual 970 17" PB. It would nicely differentiate it from the 15" and the 12". The form factor of the 17" certainly lends itself to this MB, but there are technical merits outstanding such as cooling.

But as you all know SJ, if he can get a leg up on the competition on a PB that kind of a PB - remember its really a desktop replacement not a strict battery powered portable (where battery life is critical ala 12"/15").

Im quite sure this would happen, but I like the WOW factor it employs
  • Reply 16 of 40
    soopadrivesoopadrive Posts: 182member
    I've done some reading in the past about binding biological elements into computer chips. I'm sure there's been some research and even testing with this concept, and I wouldn't be too surprised if IBM introduced a chip that produced very little heat due to the organisms. This is just me spilling my thoughts out.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by SoopaDrive

I've done some reading in the past about binding biological elements into computer chips. I'm sure there's been some research and even testing with this concept, and I wouldn't be too surprised if IBM introduced a chip that produced very little heat due to the organisms.

What organisms
  • Reply 18 of 40
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

What organisms

Small organisms.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Let's get back to reality, folks. I mean, we can lust after a dual processor PowerBook until the day is long, but there's a ton of us just waiting for a freaking rev to the 15-inch!

The chances of a dual processor are low at this point. Let's focus. How about just a PowerBook with ONE 970...
  • Reply 20 of 40
    And oh P.S.: Forget about MacOSRumors. They suck. They haven't gotten anything right in a LONG time. If you believe what they have to say, I have a bridge I'd like to sell ya.