OS X Panther Builds : No Piles

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone know why Apple has taken Piles out of OS X?



I have not seen this current build yet, so I am in the doghouse with this one. Hope to get one tonight.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 48
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    when the hell were they ever IN a build?
  • Reply 2 of 48
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by willywalloo

    Hope to get one tonight.



    Do you care to share
  • Reply 3 of 48
    willywalloowillywalloo Posts: 408member
    Not without getting my thread locked. I'll see what happens tonight...



    7D15 had piles, or at least a test version of it! ( I have not had the ability to play with it, but I have had the chance to understand how piles work, and help out the desktop space ).



    I have no idea why they would take them out.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    To ruin your week.



    Seriously, I've yet to hear of anyone with a real Panther build. All I've seen is a MOSR rumor that they're gone. That amounts to nothing, especially when the original piles rumor was never more than a rumor to begin with.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Heh, yeah, i really hope this info isn't coming from MOSR.



    Moving to Mac OS X.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    http://www.macosrumors.com/



    "EMBARGOS BE DAMNED!"
  • Reply 7 of 48
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Why are piles the single most talked-about feature? I wanna hear about everything...except for piles.



    This worrying me. Does this mean Panther doesn't have other great features that people have to focus their attention on piles?
  • Reply 8 of 48
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    No, it means no one has *heard* of any other great features except for piles. People aren't using their imaginations much. I for one haven't tried too hard anyway, and I doubt others are wracking their brains for what we're surely missing.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Maybe it's just me but...



    WWDC is gonna to be the big day for Panther and as such I wouldn't be at all shocked if Apple's been keeping some of the more 'wow' features that will be included OUT of the builds that are circulating around the Apple campus (knowing the some of those builds will leak out) if not from someone at Apple someone at one of the 'top level' 3rd party developers that do get early access to builds.



    If I'm not mistaken the same thing happened last year with Panther... Some things were rolled into the WWDC preview 11th hour style.



    Dave
  • Reply 10 of 48
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by DaveGee

    Maybe it's just me but...



    WWDC is gonna to be the big day for Panther and as such I wouldn't be at all shocked if Apple's been keeping some of the more 'wow' features that will be included OUT of the builds that are circulating around the Apple campus (knowing the some of those builds will leak out) if not from someone at Apple someone at one of the 'top level' 3rd party developers that do get early access to builds.



    If I'm not mistaken the same thing happened last year with Panther... Some things were rolled into the WWDC preview 11th hour style.



    Dave




    From a development stand point it is not a good idea to have the big stuff out of the OS until the last minute because say you put them in last minute and the entire OS breaks (which very well could happen if there are conflicts).



    So, I really doubt they would do this...



    They did not do it for Puma, I know that for sure.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by willywalloo

    Does anyone know why Apple has taken Piles out of OS X?



    I have not seen this current build yet, so I am in the doghouse with this one. Hope to get one tonight.




    man,. you gotta tell us where you heard this? why are YOU getting play with Panther and we arent?!
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Lets all wait till WWDC before we start talking about why certain features were not included. We know nothing about Panther except that its codename is Panther and anything now is just hersey.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

    Lets all wait till WWDC before we start talking about why certain features were not included. We know nothing about Panther except that its codename is Panther and anything now is just hersey.



    We can still hint and hope at features we'd like to see in Panther. Who knows? maybe Apple is reading this right now? ¬.¬



    Ooh, they could be among us?



    Probably not, but 35 days is a long wait.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Dog Almighty

    We can still hint and hope at features we'd like to see in Panther. Who knows? maybe Apple is reading this right now? ¬.¬



    Ooh, they could be among us?



    Probably not, but 35 days is a long wait.




    We can discuss features but to ask a question like the first post is totally irrevelent when no one has any clue as to what Panther is all about. That is what I was refering to.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

    Lets all wait till WWDC before we start talking about why certain features were not included. We know nothing about Panther except that its codename is Panther and anything now is just hersey.



    heresy or hearsay?
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

    We can discuss features but to ask a question like the first post is totally irrevelent when no one has any clue as to what Panther is all about. That is what I was refering to.



    Yeah, sorry.



    While we're on the subject, what are piles?
  • Reply 17 of 48
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Dog Almighty

    Yeah, sorry.



    While we're on the subject, what are piles?




    I would think that this thread should help you find out what piles are



    [edit: [email protected] grammar!]
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:

    Originally posted by NETROMac

    I would think that this thread should help you find out what piles are



    [edit: [email protected] grammar!]




    Hmm, interesting. Sounds like something you'd use temporarily to work with many files and reduce desktop space. Ironic that folders, used to organize documents, would be more cluttering than a pile of documents. The computer world is a wacky one?
  • Reply 19 of 48
    willywalloowillywalloo Posts: 408member
    sorry 'bout getting back late.



    I have some more info as to what might be in panther. READ a list that is compiled at our website as to what the likely candidates for some of the features might be:



    http://geocities.com/willywalloo/ins...14panther.html



    >>>which is constantly being updated with new information.



    And remember, that if you get a copy of panther, you are entitled to 'not let it out of your hands.' sorry, but I am 'not supposed to give it away to anybody.'



    >>I agree that it would be a very bad idea to get a part of OS X running, then take out part of it just for security reasons, you won't know exactly what broke what at what time. It would be like making a car, only having the wheels on it for the first few weeks of initial production, then taking them off, only to realize a few more weeks later someone changed the size of the axle, along with the wheel connection thus rendering the old wheels useless [um, kernal panic].



    Finding that out or even merging fixes for all changed parts would amount to using adapters (adapter classes) everywhere. Even though adapters work great, as with any stereo, radio setup, you loose quality in about every instance, whether software or 'real life.' Size is an issue, speed also.



    uuh, if this is over your head, you'll learn about this stuff in college or your spare time...I, a little of both.



    =====

    if you guys find out anything, drop it by and we might post it at our geocities website, but remember, we don't and won't post everything...what you say must come in contact with what others are saying. As always, a good rumor/news site does research before publishing.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by willywalloo

    if you guys find out anything, drop it by and we might post it at our geocities website, but remember, we don't and won't post everything...what you say must come in contact with what others are saying. As always, a good rumor/news site does research before publishing.



    Not to be vicious, but I'm not quite understanding your position. You seem to imply that you have access to Panther builds, then you simultaneously solicit possible scoops from other people? Why would you need to?



    Quote:

    This feature is touted to take extra RAM not being used, and begin using it as a kind of level 4 cache that will enable Mac OS X to be an even faster operating system, caching what doesn't fit into L1, L2, L3 into fast RAM.



    Since when does Mac OS X ever have extra RAM? Second, caches exist for situations where accessing memory isn't fast enough. Using memory, then, as a "cache" is counterintuitive, unless you're using it as a "cache" for data on your hard disk. Also, what's "fast RAM"?
Sign In or Register to comment.