Women in the draft

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Looking to see if somebody has already started this topic and some earlier date (new to AI for the most part) if so I can't find it so if somebody could link it to me or point me in the right direction that'd be great. Just got my Selective Service letter in the mail telling me to sign up, and I hear women don't have to so I'm a tad interested in why not. Anybody have any thoughts. (apologize if this post is against the guidlines since I have no real links)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Maybe it's because the people who are really in charge realize, correctly, that women shouldn't even be in the military. Every time I see a female student at Annapolis or West Point I just think of how I got screwed for tax money. I certainly don't want women in charge of a force that is guided by inately masculine understandings. i.e. men will always be the troops. (don't give me crap about this. Males are genetically faster, stronger, have higher endurances and thresholds of pain, especially when you consider medians) I would not be happy to see women at the front lines. And in command positons, I want people who innately understand the troops.

Furthermore, just send in your damn draft card. There won't be a draft again anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    If Hitler had parachuted two hundred young Fraulines over London, dressed in school-girl uniforms, fish-net stockings and bearing little whips to spank all those naughty English school boy politicians, and then dropped beer & chips over the rest of the working class, he would have won the war without firing a shot...

• Reply 3 of 31
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

Looking to see if somebody has already started this topic and some earlier date (new to AI for the most part) if so I can't find it so if somebody could link it to me or point me in the right direction that'd be great. Just got my Selective Service letter in the mail telling me to sign up, and I hear women don't have to so I'm a tad interested in why not. Anybody have any thoughts. (apologize if this post is against the guidlines since I have no real links)

Women will demand equal rights but not equal responsibility. Typical.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Makes me think..

If women were in charge of war, they'd drop bombs that would berate you, belittle you, & then take away your sports video channel...
  • Reply 5 of 31
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I cast my vote for this being the quickest ever a thread has apparently started with good intentions but fell apart into a pile of dung.

Splinemodel: Of course people think war is 'inherently masculine' because females have been kept out of the military for so long. It's not actually inherently masculine like childbirth is inherently feminine. It's an artificial constraint.

aquafire: I'm not so sure the Brits could have handled those German troops you're speaking about without firing any shots. Some of them might fire blanks, but that's mostly genetic I think.

BR: I'm sure if Women finally had equal rights they wouldn't complain about equal responsibility.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    chix don't have to signup. i had an argument with my sister over it back when we were moving through iraq. i was all, "chix don't get drafted." she's like, "are you kidding me? we've done so much with women's lib [and blah blah]. i can't believe in this day and age you are trying to tell me that women don't get drafted into the army. what about those [chix] you see on teevee, like the one who was a pow." i was all, "did you return your draft card?" she's like, "what card." "when guys are 18 they get a draft card and have to register for the army, or we can go to jail or shit." she's like, "that doesn't mean women can't fight in the army." "you don't get drafted though. notice how many guys there are on teevee [in the war] compared to how many chix. for chix its optional, guys can be forced." i dont think she believed me that chix dont get drafted though. she's a pretty avid femmy chik sometimes.

i think that in general, women aren't going to be as forceful in fighting for equal draft rights. i mean, who would want to condemn them all to that? honestly, if you had a chance to fight for civil liberties, would you fight for an equal chance [for you and your brethren] at being forced to die for the [man]?
  • Reply 7 of 31
    aquafire: I'm not so sure the Brits could have handled those German troops you're speaking about without firing any shots. Some of them might fire blanks, but that's mostly genetic I think.

• Reply 8 of 31
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    You don't draft woment because it would be equivalent to social/culture suicide. You draft your women and who's going to bear the next generation? And that's the simply pragmatics of the situation; we won't even go into the morality, which is subject to much more disagreement.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

Looking to see if somebody has already started this topic and some earlier date

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...ighlight=draft
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I'm sure if Women finally had equal rights they wouldn't complain about equal responsibility.

And just when are they going to get these equal rights so we can unload some of the responsibility? Those marches sure seem thin in the ranks and far between. Apathetic women? Who would have though?

Gimmie a gosh darn female president already (even if it's Hillary). Change has to start on all levels (top and bottom alike).
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Splinemodel: Of course people think war is 'inherently masculine' because females have been kept out of the military for so long. It's not actually inherently masculine like childbirth is inherently feminine. It's an artificial constraint.

What do you mean "for so long?" Women have never been the fighters, aside from in myth. There was obviously a day back during the prehuman era where some instinctual decision making process made male prehumans the hunters and fighters, and it has been that way since. So there is a genetic and a heavily ingrained cultural tie between men and hunting/fighting/defending.

I argue that war, as we define it, is inherently masculine. If you're vehemently "nuture over nature" you will disagree, but the more acceptable conclusion is that conflict resolution through physical means is inherently masculine. There's little artificial about it.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    The loss of so many young many men in their prime during WW1 caused a demographic slump for France, had the loss of as many young women woud have been disporoportionaly worse.

Demographically speaking, wombs are of a far higher value than testicles.

However, when a group is pushed to the wall, it will resort to using all its able individuals to win the war, and if it does so efficiently, it will win.

Several historical examples (one of the more recent ones being Israel in 1948 ) disspell the misconception that female individuals have no use or place in combat, which is simply a prejudice toward members of a group, ignoring their individual specificities.

Another example: Jews have been deemed collectively unsuitable for warfare for ages (so much so that early 20th c. German archaeologists discovering an ancient inscription telling of the faits d'armes of Jewish soldiers in the armies of Alexander the Great, had great difficulty swallowing it), which neither the patriotic fervour of Jewish soldiers of the WW1 or WW2 armies could disspell. Only after 1967 did it enter popular perceptions that Jews could be ?badass? (now of course, the prejudice is one of crazy warlike Hebrews seeking perilous adventure, but that's another story).

An individual woman should have the same civil rights and duties as an individual male, and thus females suitable for military service should be drafted if ever such a drastic measure is required by necessity (which is not the case for most of your lucky countries), and allowed to serve if she desires it, when necessity isn't as dire.

Statistically of course, there's a far higher share of male individuals actually suitable for war than of similarly suitable female individuals, which might indicate an evolutionary mechanism working toward the preservation demographic stability.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    I'm not so sure the Brits could have handled those German troops you're speaking about without firing any shots. Some of them might fire blanks, but that's mostly genetic I think.

haf*uckingha, i always like to see people getting a laugh out of genetic conditions, like the one that i have that prevents me from having the children that my wife and i desire. Bunge, go wash your brain.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    enaena Posts: 667member
    I'm confused when you say "Draft"---is this what you mean?

• Reply 15 of 31
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    For those of you complaining about women not being elected president yet, they could any time they care to. They are the majority of the electorate.

Nick
  • Reply 16 of 31
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    Women are not allowed to be in combat situations. They may work as medics, but that's about as close to real combat that they are allowed to get. There are women activists who argue that this should be changed for multiple reasons. Some women do want to serve their country, including dying for it. There are also limits on how far up the ranks you can move without combat experience. I think it's 2 or 3 star general, but I'm not sure. Anyway, so that's why women aren't drafted. Draftees are basically cannon fodder and women aren't allowed to do that, so what's the point in drafting them.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Naderfan

Women are not allowed to be in combat situations.

They're not allowed in combat positions (in the Army and Marines, anyway), but that doesn't mean they aren't ever in combat situations. The combat those maintenance troops were in was as real as it gets. I haven't seen any reviews yet of female combat performance in Iraq, but I hope it will be done, eventually. I wonder if it will change any minds about females in combat.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Furthermore, just send in your damn draft card. There won't be a draft again anyway.

Already sent in my draft card, that's why I brought up the subject.

Secondly I was talking to a friend of mine who's in the army and he was telling me why he was so against women in combat situations. If he was ever wounded (he's 250 lbs by the way) he doesn't think that a woman would be able to haul his ass out of there on her own.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

What do you mean "for so long?" Women have never been the fighters, aside from in myth. There was obviously a day back during the prehuman era where some instinctual decision making process made male prehumans the hunters and fighters, and it has been that way since. So there is a genetic and a heavily ingrained cultural tie between men and hunting/fighting/defending.

I argue that war, as we define it, is inherently masculine. If you're vehemently "nuture over nature" you will disagree, but the more acceptable conclusion is that conflict resolution through physical means is inherently masculine. There's little artificial about it.

...of course you accept the fact that you're a wanker
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

...of course you accept the fact that you're a wanker

Only when it comes to Wankels.