News Management: Saving Private Lynch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm somewhat surprised that this has not already come up for discussion. The BBC recently claimed that the rescue of Private Jessica Lynch was "one of the most stunning pieces of news management ever conceived."

According to the BBC:
Quote:

The US military knew there were no Iraqi forces guarding the hospital, and quoted a local doctor saying that the troops used blank rounds to "make a show" of the operation.

The Pentagon is ? naturally ? denying claims that it staged or even managed the event...stating that it never reported a firefight at the hospital where Lynch was located.
Quote:

Speculative reports in the media were responsible for some of the misinformation [discussed in the original BBC report], not Pentagon statements... The Pentagon never released an account of what happened to Lynch because it didn't have an account.

So, what do you think. Was the saving of Private Lynch a carefully constructed media event to create a focal point for patriotic feelings? Alternatively, did the Pentagon merely allow inaccurate 'speculative reports' to go uncorrected? Either way, is this a dishonest and cynical manipulation of the press and the emotions of the American people?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    enaena Posts: 667member
    We are talking about the BBC here, I know all the tradional media outlets are beyond.....

....reproach.....

....but after this crap with the NYT I think the BBC needs to spread their reporting on the lawn for best results.

It sounds monumentally contrived.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Ah, so its all a bunch of lies from the BBC? Thanks for clearing that up. And to think that I doubted the veracity of stories about the 'daring commando rescue' propagated by 'fair and balanced' news outlets...
  • Reply 3 of 55
    ".but after this crap with the NYT I think the BBC needs to spread their reporting on the lawn for best results. "

ena could you point out the connection please as i'm so brainwashed by the appalling BBC that i just can't see it. Oh and i watched the programme, i think your monumentally contrived jibe is perhaps not aimed correctly.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Get real, the BBC is a rabid liberal rag edited and staffed by people who simply cannot distinguish fact from fantasy.

(and everybody knows it)

You have my permission to take them seriously---although I feel sorry for the brits who are forced to pay for their tripe.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

Get real, the BBC is a rabid liberal rag edited and staffed by people who simply cannot distinguish fact from fantasy.

(and everybody knows it)

You have my permission to take them seriously---although I feel sorry for the brits who are forced to pay for their tripe.

You are Ann Coulter's less articulate but equally blinkered teenage sister, and I claim my five pounds.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Ena. Why do you insist on commiting intellectual suicide?

Besides it has been discussed here before about a couple of weeks ago.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

You are Ann Coulter's less articulate but equally blinkered teenage sister, and I claim my five pounds.

Bla Bla Bla

This has the same aroma as the Franks war crimes trial. Which as a parent, I can tell you is something not even my six-year-old would try pull with a straight face.

Your hatred of the U.S. (the current administration, etc.) simply has gotten you to the point where the methods you use to smear these people come off as comical.

Some of these threads have all the earmarks of trying orient someone with dementia.

*leaves thread in pissy mood*
  • Reply 8 of 55
    A rag? Where can i get my copy? There's me thinking it's just two terrestial tv channels, 6 more digital ones, 5 national radio stations, 50+ local radio stations, a superb online service, renowned orchestras etc. All for the extortionate cost of £116 p.a or 32p a day. Slightly less than some of the rags actually on sale.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Oh you've left already, damn , i was actually looking forward to a chat.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

*leaves thread in pissy mood*

The sound of a "man" knowing he went too far out but is too proud to be a man and admit it.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Yeah, come back and play ena.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

Your hatred of the U.S. (the current administration, etc.) simply has gotten you to the point where the methods you use to smear these people come off as comical.

If I hated the US I wouldn't care about the lies, deceit, obfuscation and misdirection...I'd just say it was typical of the US. But I don't hate the US and therefore wouldn?t want to see this kind of behavior become typical.

If you are so in love with the current administration that you defend it unquestioningly against any and all allegations of wrongdoing then you are being incredibly naive.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:

a superb online service,

While I generally don't want to associate myself with certain moron's opinions, the BBC online coverage of the Americas or more specifically the US is mediocre at best. They frequently have simple factual inaccuracies which are horrid and they tend to state that various populist forces are afoot which often are non-existent. It is just vastly inferior on the whole to many online or print sources. Though no less inferior I guess to US TV news which is all shit anyway.

Besides that, their coverage of US sports, even hockey and basketball which are fairly popular international sports is so inept as to border on parody. If you can imagine how a George Bush Homer Simpson broadcast team might call a Manchester United vs. Arsenel game, well, their baseball and their football (as in the oblong pigskin) coverage comes across as inferior to what that would be like. I mean really, they shouldn't even try.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    CoD i said online service, not online news service, i was meaning bbci which is at bbc.co.uk and which includes the news stuff. No news providers are free from mistakes (especially about sports) but for ena to say that the bbc is "edited and staffed by people who simply cannot distinguish fact from fantasy." is bollocks. I still rate the BBC highly, doesn't mean that i don't shout at the screen occasionally though.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Ena is crazy, but I too wouldn't trust the BBC--there were way too many instances of obvious bias on their part over the last few months. Even NPR has a better record.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    There's two threads to that story that the reporter doesn't separate well: the action in which Pvt. Lynch was captured, and the action in which she was rescued. No account has been released of the action in which she was captured, by her or anyone else. And didn't the military docs in Germany quickly report that she didn't have any gunshot wounds? So there's no new information there, though there isn't much to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the military is suppressing the story because it doesn't reflect well on her or her comrades. If so, fine. I'm in no rush to add to a bunch of families' grief by telling them their sons and daughters acted like cowards before they surrendered and were executed. Let the story come out in due time.

As for the rescue, I don't know about that reporter's memory, but when it was first reported I don't recall any (US) news outlet claiming there was a firefight. I do remember lots of "without firing a shot"s. And does he really expect the military would send a chaplain in a jeep into enemy territory to knock on the door and ask for the POW? They had no idea, really, what could be at the hospital. The doctor interviewed even said that a few days earlier it was "swarming" with Fedayeen. Even if they had reason to suspect there would be no resistance, they'd still go in ready to meet it, just in case. Doesn't that make sense? With all the flash-bang grenades and starship-trooper-looking operators, though, I'm sure it would look like an action movie to anyone watching. Especially since no one got hurt.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:

CoD i said online service, not online news service, i was meaning bbci which is at bbc.co.uk and which includes the news stuff.

OK well then my error. But nevertheless, the issue was the quality of their coverage which is what I was talking about. I was referring to the bbc.co.uk page, actually to this page ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/default.stm ). I wasn't aware of the distinction between the web content I see and whatever else you get for your bling bling but now I know.

Quote:

No news providers are free from mistakes (especially about sports) but for ena to say that the bbc is "edited and staffed by people who simply cannot distinguish fact from fantasy." is bollocks.

I suppose it is fair to call the statement that they cannot distinguish fact from fantasy as bollocks and I made clear in my first sentence that I didn't want to go as far as him. On the other hand, for an organization whose reputation is that it is perhaps the foremost English language news organization in the world their coverage of the US, political and news as well as sports, remains inferior to that of other major news organizations by a significant margin. JMO of course.

I cannot comment on how their quality of work relates to this story though, I dunno. I tuned out the Lynch story immediately as it became the sensationalist story de jour. I guess we need more schools shootings or sharks or kidnappings or something else for the media to fixate on.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    Ok CoD i'll have to believe you but the BBC is much more than just the online news stuff, their tv and radio coverage of US politics/news has always struck me as fairly comprehensive, Panorama on sunday was an hour on the "neocon"s and Newsnight always has stuff on the states and heavyweight people from there as satelite link contributors. I guess it's a matter of opinion and i respect yours . P.S it's Arsenal btw
  • Reply 19 of 55
    OK Arsenal it is. But you Brits need to work on your spelling as well. It is color. And valor. And center. Program. Check. Etc.

I dunno why you guys can't spell these words right, in fact you've been spelling them wrong since well before we Americans started spelling them right.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    If I was a soldier in Iraq, I would not be walking anywhere with blanks in my gun for the sake of chance. It doesn't matter if an area is 'secure' or not.

Don't be ridiculous.