G5 = PPC 970 ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Please don't flame me as silly as this sounds. I just don't know...

Will the IBM chip 970 be renamed the G5? of course if Apple would use this chip.

I know Motorola was working on a new chip , but Is this not what Apple uses for marketing, the G3, G4, G5 code names?

[ 10-17-2002: Message edited by: MacMatt ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    IBM and Motorola use part numbers for their chips officially. Apple has been using the G3 and G4 in literature about their products, so it is not tied to a particular chip. I expect Apple to call the IBM 970 a G5. As IBM advances, to 975 for example, it will still be called the G5 by Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    [quote]Originally posted by snoopy:

<strong>IBM and Motorola use part numbers for their chips officially. Apple has been using the G3 and G4 in literature about their products, so it is not tied to a particular chip. I expect Apple to call the IBM 970 a G5. As IBM advances, to 975 for example, it will still be called the G5 by Apple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I doubt it. It would probably be far too confusing. I'd expect something clever or perhaps just GPUL.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member

<strong>IBM and Motorola use part numbers for their chips officially. Apple has been using the G3 and G4 in literature about their products, so it is not tied to a particular chip. I expect Apple to call the IBM 970 a G5. As IBM advances, to 975 for example, it will still be called the G5 by Apple.</strong><hr></blockquote>I don't think so. The G5 does exist in the form of 85xx processors from Motorola, and they're not the same as this 970. And there's still a possibility (maybe remote now) that a 75xx chip, a desktop G5, will be produced by Motorola. That would be a different chip than this 970, and it wouldn't make any sense to call them both G5s.

I think it will have a different name completely.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I bet a different name too, just because I think everyone is tired of the "G" naming scheme.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    [quote]Originally posted by mrmister:

<strong>I bet a different name too, just because I think everyone is tired of the "G" naming scheme.</strong><hr></blockquote>You think wrong. Most of us are waiting for the G5. We would sell grandma's false teeth to buy one.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    There's been debate that the 'G' Apple uses is for generation. In that sence, yea, they should name the 970 the G5.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    From a marketing standpoint, I'd say that Apple shouldn't change its 'G' trademark, unless their about to begin a readical change in their product line. Although with the 'digital hub' direction they are taking, I doubt it. Just like they did when the G3 came out.

Anyway, who knows? I love surprises...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Logic can take you from A to B. Imagination can take you anywhere"

-Albert Einstein
  • Reply 8 of 38
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    [quote] I'd say that Apple shouldn't change its 'G' trademark, unless their about to begin a radical change in their product line. <hr></blockquote>

Exactly my point. They want people to feel there has been a radical change, at LEAST as big as when they changed all the Macs to PowerMacs.

The g4's reputation, amoung PC folk, is that it is slow. That's the grim truth. If you think the G4 is slow, and you hear,

"Don't worry, it's a G5!"

It doesn't fill you with as much confidence as it could.

I think that the sad truth is that the G4's branding is not so hot, and a new, clean break to a new naming scheme might be better for shedding a bad reputation.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>There's been debate that the 'G' Apple uses is for generation. In that sence, yea, they should name the 970 the G5.</strong><hr></blockquote>Last I checked, Motorola is the one that uses the Gx monker for the generations of chips. Apple just carries that over to its own products.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    I think they'll stick to 'G'. Why change ? Intel will not call the next gen Pentium's 'Hexagonal 5' or something. Everybody knows the Pentium. It's like Coca-Cola.

Maybe a nice game for fun: guess what Apple will call their new chip. H5 ? X1 ? HolyCow 5 ?
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Again, G3, G4, and G5 are all Motorola names.

See page 5 of this document:

<a href="http://e-www.motorola.com/collateral/PPCRMAP.pdf"; target="_blank">http://e-www.motorola.com/collateral/PPCRMAP.pdf</a>;

and for those of you who don't like downloading PDFs:

<a href="http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:JZPxwbau_wQC:e-www.motorola.com/collateral/PPCRMAP.pdf&hl=en&ie=UTF-8"; target="_blank">http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:JZPxwbau_wQC:e-www.motorola.com/collateral/PPCRMAP.pdf&hl=en&ie=UTF-8</a>;

The G5 is the 8500.

I honestly can't see Apple naming IBM's chip the same a Motorola's chip.

[ 10-17-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 38
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>

Again, G3, G4, and G5 are all Motorola names. . . I honestly can't see Apple naming IBM's chip the same a Motorola's chip.

[ 10-17-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

How do you explain the fact that there is an IBM 750 in some Mac products, and Apple calls it a G3?

There is nothing to stop Apple from using G3, G4 and G5, nomatter who makes the chip.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    blah. forget it. it's not worth arguing over.

[ 10-17-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 38
    hehehe lets' hope apple doesn't go overboard w/ the whole i(name) scheme. Instead of a G5 we'd have the i5.

When i say i5 aloud, it does sound kinda sexy, like a fast bmw car. And the i could represent IBM as the maker or something, who knows. I think I have way too much time to think about this, so i think i'll stop

[ 10-17-2002: Message edited by: liquidh2o ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 38

<strong>

How do you explain the fact that there is an IBM 750 in some Mac products, and Apple calls it a G3?

There is nothing to stop Apple from using G3, G4 and G5, nomatter who makes the chip.</strong><hr></blockquote>

/ \\

|

He's right. IBM had nothing to do with the marketing name of the chip it sells to apple, they called the 750 or whatever, apple calls it the G3, even though motorola is the original G name carrier. Personally, i dont give a flying **** what they call it, just stick it in a powermac ane LEMME AT IT!!!
  • Reply 16 of 38
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member

<strong>How do you explain the fact that there is an IBM 750 in some Mac products, and Apple calls it a G3?

There is nothing to stop Apple from using G3, G4 and G5, nomatter who makes the chip.</strong><hr></blockquote>Because the G3 is from the days of the AIM alliance. The G3 IBM and Motorola made were the same. Motorola's G5 and IBM's 970 are not the same.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Apple will call the new processor the X1. The PowerMac X1. The PowerBook X1, etc.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    This discussion may be a little pointless anyway. Apple will call it what ever they wish, nomatter what we think about it. If Motorola has copyrights to G4 and G5, then Apple will have to come up with something new. If they have no copyrights, Apple is free to use G5, if Apple chooses to. G5 is just my guess, which is no better than anyone eles's guess.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    If 'G' stands for PPC generation, wouldn't the 970 be the G6, if motorola's newest processor is the G5?
  • Reply 20 of 38
    [quote]Originally posted by Eupfhoria:

<strong>

If 'G' stands for PPC generation, wouldn't the 970 be the G6, if motorola's newest processor is the G5?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

"If" Apple sticks with G nomenclature, these would be generations of processors for Apple, would they not? I don't think Apple will care that Motorola has their own version of a G5. The IBM 970 would be Apple's G5. Again, no one knows what Apple will call it.