MS prepares Music Store alternative

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

How would you like to buy a bed under a subscription model? Sure, you can switch it out and get a new one any time you want and thus get, in retail terms, thousands of dollars worth of bed usage, but if you tire of this and quit paying, you're without a bed all of a sudden.

Dude, that sounds great! I could get a decent bed, and sleep at night. I find this MS model as flawed for all the reasons renting music is flawed, but that was a bad example.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

How would you like to buy a bed under a subscription model? Sure, you can switch it out and get a new one any time you want and thus get, in retail terms, thousands of dollars worth of bed usage, but if you tire of this and quit paying, you're without a bed all of a sudden

How would you like to rent an apartment? Sure, you don't have to fix the furnace if it blows, mow the lawn, and other responsibilities you would have if you bought a house, but if you tire of this and quit paying, you're without an apartment all of the sudden.

And beds relate to music how?

Quote:

$7500 if you always by single tracks.

if you are buying whole albums at $10 a pop....and they might have more than 10 tracks on them, then it's a whole different story on how much money you are spending to fill a 30 gig.

Oh sorry, it will be $5000, not $7500

I do not like MS as much as the next guy, but given the low up front costs under their music service compared to iTMS, as well as their binding scheme, it should not be disregarded so easily.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

I do not like MS as much as the next guy, but given the low up front costs under their music service compared to iTMS, as well as their binding scheme, it should not be disregarded so easily.

Besides Windows and Office, Microsoft has yet to have a success at anything at this scale. The Xbox couldn't gush more blood if you gashed Bill's jugular.

I'm sorry, Microsoft sure can talk the tough talk, but it's been a looooong time since they've had a hit. Yes, I'm afraid any microsoft music venture can be disregarded quite easily.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

True, there's a lot suckers out there.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    People won't buy this, everyone saying that people want to own music you are right. M$ has lots of monopoly power but even it couldn't sell the Edsel, or .NET. What is .NET again? What a stupid company considering the money they throw at things.

Apple need to release iTunes for PC ASAP. Hopefully that won't incite M$ to kill Mac Office because wouldn't that rekindle the antitrust trial (whatever happened to that? )
  • Reply 26 of 29
    purepure Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Besides Windows and Office, Microsoft has yet to have a success at anything at this scale.

Internet Explorer

• Reply 27 of 29
    Heh heh heh, how long before their rental protection is hacked?
  • Reply 28 of 29
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Hmm...don't forget the deep pockets of MS. Look what they're losing just trying to get Xbox to the masses.

Imagine if MS offers some ridiculous price like $4.99/month for unlimited downloads?

I'm sure there will be millions who'll jump on the bandwagon at $60/year.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Hmm...don't forget the deep pockets of MS. Look what they're losing just trying to get Xbox to the masses.

Imagine if MS offers some ridiculous price like $4.99/month for unlimited downloads?

I'm sure there will be millions who'll jump on the bandwagon at $60/year.

That doesn't reflect the direction they're going in with their Trusted Content platform. They're moving rapidly and very publicly in the other direction: Providing a client that gives a tremendous amount of control to the provider, not the consumer. That's how they hope to endear themselves to the content publishers.

I'll be shocked and amazed if MS offers unlimited downloads at any price, unless there are strings attached to the downloaded files.