Veils on our driver's Licenses?

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 152
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Leave it at what? Florida isn't good at running elections? This is news to somebody?
  • Reply 142 of 152
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Leave it at what? Florida isn't good at running elections? This is news to somebody?

No, the ruling by the federal court applies if I read it correctly only to Lawrence Mass, and there has not been a national ruling. Basically, not allowing her to have a drivers license effectively prevents her from voting...
  • Reply 143 of 152
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Basically, not allowing her to have a drivers license effectively prevents her from voting...

however, allowing someone to use a photo ID that does nothing to verify their identity could lead to voter fraud. considering on average only 30-40% voter turnout, having 100% voter turnout among those wearing veils could make a huge difference.
  • Reply 144 of 152
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

No, the ruling by the federal court applies if I read it correctly only to Lawrence Mass, and there has not been a national ruling. Basically, not allowing her to have a drivers license effectively prevents her from voting...

No, your quote does not say that. It explicitly mentions it "allows voters who do not have identification to cast an affidavit ballot."
  • Reply 145 of 152
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I'm going to asume you're not just talking out your ass on this one. Let me just ask for some proof. I've been to Egypt, I know that women there can drive and be munakaba (women who wear veils) and I'm quite certain that they would not be required to take off the veil. I have no proof of this, but I'm going to say that you don't either. I can get some if you like. But you go first this time.

Jeez. The point is Freeman can in all likelihood get a photoless driver's license, as long as it is the right type. It's just because the most common type is a dual function photo ID and driver's license, one of which is completely useless to her. She can get a license without a picture, I bet you.

Should she be pulled over, she might get harassed by a cop who thinks he must see a photo ID and her face, but that's about it. In such a case she should file suit against an individual and not the state.
  • Reply 146 of 152
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Jeez. The point is Freeman can in all likelihood get a photoless driver's license, as long as it is the right type. It's just because the most common type is a dual function photo ID and driver's license, one of which is completely useless to her. She can get a license without a picture, I bet you.

Should she be pulled over, she might get harassed by a cop who thinks he must see a photo ID and her face, but that's about it. In such a case she should file suit against an individual and not the state.

Eugene, thanks for continuing to respond to my posts in a constructive manner, despite my rather unneccessary comments yesterday. You just annoy me sometimes . Anyway, if it is true that she can get a photoless dl as you claim, there's no reason at all for this suit. Her legal rights do not appear to be infringed upon in this case.

However, if this should extend to denial of services because she refuses to take off her veil for other things (like I suggested above), there should be some noise on the civil rights front. I think this underscores the importance of getting a better system in place for identification. I'm all for that.
  • Reply 147 of 152
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

No, your quote does not say that. It explicitly mentions it "allows voters who do not have identification to cast an affidavit ballot."

But balloting stations are notorious for doing what they can to turn "undesirable" voters away, especially in the south. This is something that needs to be prevented. Not allowing her to get photo identification just gives them reason to do that (knowingly or unknowingly).

It's just a bad system. I'm all for retinal scans.
  • Reply 148 of 152
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

But balloting stations are notorious for doing what they can to turn "undesirable" voters away, especially in the south. This is something that needs to be prevented. Not allowing her to get photo identification just gives them reason to do that (knowingly or unknowingly).

Even if she does have a photo ID, she's probably going to get turned away from those polling stations, so it really doesn't make a difference.
  • Reply 149 of 152
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    So, the judge ruled that she has to take it off.

There is an interesting side bar in that article about how muslim countries treat the issue. Seems they have to take off their veils too.
  • Reply 150 of 152
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
  • Reply 151 of 152
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

Then the government should make some kind of special arrangements to ensure that you get an id, and don't have to forsake your god to do it.

I dont think it should even matter if they find it in the Koran. She believes it is against her god and her religion, and the government should not able to ignore a person's religious beliefs like that. A government should bend to its people.

My religion requires the blood sacrifice of Jews and blacks. We also have to shout racial slurs while performing the ceremony. If I am arrested for this then you have violated the separation of Church and state.
  • Reply 152 of 152
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I found this telling:

Quote:

DRIVER'S ID RULES IN MUSLIM NATIONS

Saudi Arabia:_ Women aren't allowed to drive

Iran: Women wear a traditional chador, which does not cover the face.

Egypt: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures

United Arab Emirates: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures

Oman: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures

Kuwait: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures

Qatar: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures

Bahrain: Women do not cover their face in I.D. pictures

Jordan: Women can drive if their faces are covered_but do not cover their face in I.D. pictures