I think he's lost it. (Manson's new record)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Heheh.

[Marvin the Martian]That Maryln Manson fellow gets me angry...very ang-ry indeed.[/Marvin]

He may not be physically imposing, but I suspect many of his record sales have been generated as much by his ghoulish appearance as by any of his actual ... music. Not that I'm an expert on such things but I bet the: Goth crowd, masochist types, piercing and tatoo mongers, etc. pretty much worships at his alter not because his music is genius to them but because he dares to put on the faces he does. For them the look says it all (I suspect)....

Hence, if he looked like Opie, the more conservative among might've "listened sooner", but the masses who buy his records probably would not have paid much attention. Hence he would just be an angst-ridden, angry Opie.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DiscoCow

I LIVE in OP! LOL! He never came to MY house!
  • Reply 23 of 35
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Rock Music puts me to sleep, the harder the rock music, the faster I go to sleep.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

Rock Music puts me to sleep, the harder the rock music, the faster I go to sleep.

I once tried going to sleep while listening to death metal, while on the road (someone else was driving mind you) at one am. I did drift in and out of consciousness, but all a really achieved was a small headache.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Speaking about the more serious, focused and musical better twin of MM:

I saw Trent Reznor and his then incarnation of NIN at Roskilde in 2000. I was standing up by the stage and someone had his little kid ssitting on his shoulders under the concert just behind me. It was pretty crowded but still early and even though 90% of the audience looked like a cross between MM and Robert Smith they were very protective of the kid and his father. But the funny thing was that even though TR and his gang looked like they had been taking a mud bath, rolled around in bassin of flour and picked a fight with 25 HA´s just before entering the stage Reznor was very unfocused during the whole set and just starred at the boy obviously thinking "Oh no. I hope he doesn´t fall and get hurt". Quite funny to watch so close especially taken their alternative stage clothes into consideration.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    soulcrushersoulcrusher Posts: 587member
    Actually I really like The Golden Age Of Grotesque.

This is what I was expecting after the ACSS/MA/HW trilogy (Mechanical Animals being my favourite from these). It's entirely different from what the rest of the industry has to offer, although the basic sounds are not all that brilliant the composition is awesome.

It's poppish?, yes. It's rock?, yes. Techno beats?, yup it's full of them. Sounds a bit industrial too. Manson almost seems to rap in many songs.

The first two songs really do sound like Manson but after that it's really different. The first time I listened to Doll-Dagga Buzz-Buzz Ziggety-Zag I was expecting it to get harder eventually but it never did, it amazed me. The song The Golden Age Of Grotesque sounds so different from everything I have ever heard , it's kind of gothic and dark and powerful, I love IT. I am hooked to (s)AINT and The Bright Young Things, really good rock. Better Of Two Evils for some reason reminds me of RATM but it's pretty decent.

The lyrics. Well, he stopped the usual whining which is really good; the play of words in this new album is the one of the best I've heard, from the song titles to verses to chorus, everything.

Marilyn Manson is a band that is continually evolving. Not two albums sound alike and the abscence of Twiggy is really noticeable but John 5 and Skold did a very good job. This album just has a different taste.

So, I agree with you groverat, they have lost it, for good.

The Golden Age Of Grotesque is one of my favourite Manson albums (next to Mechanical Animals). It is a really refreshing sound which is way above the crapy and generic nu metal (Linkin Park, Evanescence and the like).

The best three releases for 2003:

- The Golden Ago Of Grotesque

- Sleeping With Ghosts

- Elephant
  • Reply 27 of 35
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Some rockers who freaked-out the right wingers:

Nick Cave

WOW

Birthday Party

Bauhaus

NIN

MM

Alice Cooper

Tom Waits

Iggy Pop

Bowie

Queen

Foetus

Lenny Cohen

Sisters of Mercy

Christian Death

Swans

COIL

Ozzy

Black Sabbath

Godflesh

Souxie and the Banshees

LARD

Scratch Acid

Kreator

Ministry

And the king...

GG Allen!
  • Reply 28 of 35
    enaena Posts: 667member
    You guys, you guys......

.....you can take one look at MM and tell he doesn't have his shit together. What is that brand-managed corporate head case got to say that wasn't said in the late eighties by the bloodbath-Prong/death-rock scene?

He doesn't shock anyone---he does what he is supposed to do, make money for his label and when that stops he'll be just as gone as The Thompson Twins.

He is marketed, packaged, produced, and sold as the "counter-culture" rock/pop icon---if that meant dressing up in a clown suit and singing on on all fours about the reproduction of zooplankton you can bet your sweet ass he'd be doing it.

ding dong
  • Reply 29 of 35
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Yah, what he said....
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

You guys, you guys......

.....you can take one look at MM and tell he doesn't have his shit together. What is that brand-managed corporate head case got to say that wasn't said in the late eighties by the bloodbath-Prong/death-rock scene?

He doesn't shock anyone---he does what he is supposed to do, make money for his label and when that stops he'll be just as gone as The Thompson Twins.

He is marketed, packaged, produced, and sold as the "counter-culture" rock/pop icon---if that meant dressing up in a clown suit and singing on on all fours about the reproduction of zooplankton you can bet your sweet ass he'd be doing it.

ding dong

winner.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

winner.

Give Brainiac the fluffy doll!
  • Reply 32 of 35
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Moogs:

Quote:

Hence, if he looked like Opie, the more conservative among might've "listened sooner", but the masses who buy his records probably would not have paid much attention. Hence he would just be an angst-ridden, angry Opie.

I don't think that's true either, no matter what he looks like his music still stays the same. Now his last few albums have been far more accessible than his earlier stuff (w/ Spooky Kids up to Antichrist Superstar, after which his music got much more palatable for the "mainstream")

No matter if he looks like Opie lyrics like "I will bury your God in my warm spit" weren't going to make people happy with their album purchase.

And beyond that... why was he ever so shocking?

The "Sweet Dreams" video creeped me out and the only thing he did that really shocked me was the release of Mechanical Animals (coming after Antichrist Superstar... that was a shocking album).

He has an inflated sense of self-importance, but what musician doesn't? Do you think any of the musicians you like are not complete egomaniac pricks in real life? Manson just puts himself in his "art" more, which definitely includes his public persona.

I never understood why someone would pick Manson to bash for being over-the-top in his egomania. I can't think of a musician I like that is a decent human being, except maybe Jurassic 5, they seem nice.

---

soulcrusher:

Quote:

Marilyn Manson is a band that is continually evolving. Not two albums sound alike....

This is very true and something I wasn't thinking of. I've been listening to it more and GAoG is growing on me more and more.

But it doesn't have the story aspect, and as much as I dig a few of the tracks I don't feel like listening to the whole album.

---

ena:

Quote:

The same could be said of any musician. That's nothing telling.

Quote:

Well he marketed, packaged and produces himself so I hardly see how an outside force would be the one to make him change.

Perhaps if he had won American Shock Idol and was taken under some Big Music honcho's wing I'd see what you meant.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Well he marketed, packaged and produces himself so I hardly see how an outside force would be the one to make him change.

I don't know who produces him, or if he owns his own label, or if he is still a subsidiary of EMI. What he's doing is formula, and it's been done to death. It's like listening to Howard Stren, you gotta feel sorry for some one who's only talent is scatology. Over and over, the same formula, bla, bla, bla.

ooooooooo look at meeeeeeeeeee I'mmmm sooooooooooooo baaaaaaaaad

Poseurs---at least Cobain took his own advice, MM is too busy cashing in cheap agnst at the bank.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    I was going to reply no ena, but I'd better let Manson himself do it.

The Bright Young Things

We'll be the worms in your apple pie

Fake abuse for our bios

Blacken our own eyes

The grass isn't greener on the other side

We set it on fire

And we have no reason why.

We set fashion, not follow

Spit vitriol, not swallow

We're

Good for nothing but being

Everything that's bad

Everything that's bad

We know who we are and what we want to say

and we don't care who's listening

We don't rebel to sell

It just suits as well

We're the bright young things

I've got a villian necktie

And a mouth of hi-fi

So sharp, I'm bleeding

from my Judas Hole

I'm the Arch Dandy

No-goodnik and I'm headed

For Crashville.

I'm most monster with my groan box

In the "Meat Show".

We're

Everything that's bad

Everything that's bad

We don't rebel to sell

It just suits as well

Crashing the ether

We've got the loudest stereotype

Even neophytes deep 6 your pro-life.

We don't need to move a single prayer bone

We're so beautiful and damned

Simply as a "still life."

Perpetual rebellion with absolutely NO cause

Stop the song and remember what you used to be

Somebody that could ****ing impress me

We don't rebel to sell

It just suits as well

We don't rebel to sell

It just suits as well

Everything that's bad

Everything that's bad

I suggest you spend $1 and get it.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Looks like Manson is an artist for Interscope/Nothing records. While he very well may produce his own albums, he is not an independent by any means, if he produced an album that lost interscope enough cash, he would be dropped just like any other artist. Granted his relationship with them is probably pretty good(since he is one of their bigger money makers), and he would probably be given another chance, He still is just a commodity.

I was actually reading a short review on his latest album, where it mentioned that the song "Ka-boom Ka-boom" was written because a record exec(not manson) thought that the album lacked more pure rock and roll.

It is not uncommon for high ticket artists to own their own subsidiary labels, but those are still at the mercy of their parent companies(the 900-pound gorillas) In truth, when you have your own subsidiary, that's when you get the real cash, especially when you are touring heavily(the real money maker for most acts)

Nothing is Trent reznor's subsidiary anyway, so unless manson has something beneath that(I don't own any albums and have never seen the liner notes) he is not in total control as groverate suggested(as if he was anyway

and manson did not market and package himself, Although I would certainly pay the price of the album to see him going to record stores and putting up posters, and manning the CD duplication/production factories.

Manson is a big money-maker, that adds another demographic for interscope to have a foot in.