PowerBook Price Drop!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by McCrab

Any comments, Matsu?

I have, in the esteemable words of Oscar Wilde, nothing to declare but my genius! Didn't I propose a price structure almost exactly like the new one a few weeks ago? Why, lemme see, yes I did. You can thank me later.

I come back from a few days away, and what do I find but the same ill founded rumors. 970 based PB's? uh, not in '03, probably not untill '04 is almost done too. Not to worry, though you may not want to believe it, there is some respectable g4 product on the way (for laptops at any rate)

That's encouraging from a consumer standpoint because it means that recent moves are more than simple inventory clearance. You price a drop a model or two for that kind of manouver, make them look good next to the rest, get rid of them fast and get the new blood in there. You don't price drop 5 models across 2 to 3 lines. Uh un. This might actually mean these prices are here to stay, AND IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME TOO!!!

Should it come to pass that they are not, Apple is gonna get nailed, no two ways about it. Centrino is right there in terms of power and battery life. Claims aren't quite what Intel suggests, but they've jumped slightly ahead in some areas. They're in a tough fight to hang on to their mobile market credibility now, and they just won't be able to keep iBook and 12 and 15" pBook sales if they don't compete on price moreso than they have in the past.

PS, if I hadn't gotten a sweet edu deal, I'd feel a little hosed right now at the price drop/exchange improvement. Still, it bodes well for future purchases.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Woo Hooo!!!

Hey Barto, looks i'll be dropping in to pick myself up a Powerbook, iPod and perhaps an iBook. Now I felt waiting these last 2 weeks has been more than justified. And that problem I mentioned earlier in regards to people importing from the US and selling privately in Australia won't affect you (Mac retailers) at all.

One happy camper.

12.1" iBook 1999 -> 1849 = $150 OFF (1738 EDU)

12.1" PowerbookSD 4395 -> 3499 = $896 OFF (3149.30 EDU)

Only problem I see with this is it makes the Desktops look WAAAYYYY over-priced.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    That's because they are WAY overpriced. Apple still doesn't have a credible answer to the shrinking desktop market-share problem.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    New UK store, but no price drops
  • Reply 25 of 36
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Apple Canada Online Store has dropped the prices on the 17" PowerBook as well as the other laptop products, including the iBook line. In some cases, the price drops are larger than the up to $300 price drops noted at the Apple Store US this morning The largest prices drops are on the 15" Titanium PowerBooks followed by a significant price cut on the 17" PowerBook.

All prices below are noted in Canadian dollars (CAD; with 1 CAD = 0.732 USD).

* The PowerBook 17" is $4699 (was $5299)

* The PowerBook 12" Combo drive is $2249 (was about $2700)

* PowerBook 12" SuperDrive is now $2549 (was about $2900)

* PowerBook 15" Combo drive is now $2849 (was about $3700)

* PowerBook 15" SuperDrive now $3699 (was about $4500)

* iBook 12" CD is $1429 (was about 1550)

* iBook 12" Combo is $1849 (was about 2000)

* iBook 14" Combo is $2149 (was about 2300)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore

The same thing is true for some European stores. It seems Apple is adjusting some prices to take into account the huge downfall of the US currency.

• Reply 26 of 36
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I was going to buy a 12"PB and an iPod on Friday, now I'm glad I waited!

There's probably going to be a speed bump (at least!) within the next few months, but I really need a portable now, so I'm prepared to be slightly miffed when that occurs.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    That MacNN report is incorrect I think - the Combo was $2799 and the SuperDrive was $3199 I believe. (It was never just $200 more than the Combo, as they are saying - it was a $400 touch to get the SD)
  • Reply 28 of 36
    soopadrivesoopadrive Posts: 182member
    I wonder if news of powerbook price drops confirms there will be no new PMs. \

Not for awhile anyway.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    Did they add bluetooth to the Ti or was it available before?

Greetz
  • Reply 30 of 36
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    It was always "Bluetooth Optional."
  • Reply 31 of 36
    *weep* I just bought a 12" Combo iBook 16 days ago...two days too much to get the store to drop the price...and had I known what the 12" PowerBook with SuperDrive was going to drop to, I would never have bought the iBook. Oh well, that's life...

The 12" PowerBook with SuperDrive is at an awesome price point in Canada...at $2549 (down from $3149) it should sell like crazy
  • Reply 32 of 36
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Geez Cdn dollars I got mine with Super, AE, 640 and 60 gig for 2100! (edu)

Quote:

what else do you want?

A million bucks Then the world ahahahaha!!!! And some fries. The 12" is so close to perfect. Besides a better gfx card nothing else is reasonable for the next few revs. Surround sound on laptop would be nice I guess Of course since the 12" already HAS the chip for DVI and FW800 those should hopefully make this next rev or rev c with 1.25 ghz cpu.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Repeating what I said in the other thread.

No matter what. I am glad that I sold my Ti400 two weeks ago. If I sell it now instead I will be losing another $600-700 CDN
  • Reply 34 of 36
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    1899 for the 15" TI book at the apple edu store is very very tempting

g
  • Reply 35 of 36
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Um, did Apple just do another $200 price drop??? There is new banner on the site that I have not noticed before, perhaps we'll see more drops within the next 2 weeks???
  • Reply 36 of 36
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Um, did Apple just do another $200 price drop??? There is new banner on the site that I have not noticed before, perhaps we'll see more drops within the next 2 weeks???

there is an additional $200 off if you buy an iPod and a lappy from the edu store...