Win a $2000 shopping spree from the Apple Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Uhm... How is this a scam? How do they benefit? Have they asked for money or any thing??
  • Reply 22 of 32
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyCash22

Uhm... How is this a scam? How do they benefit? Have they asked for money or any thing??

That and they knew my address before i entered it because they mailed the thing to my house. So they're not collecting address for junk mail and/or spam.

It seems very strange
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:

How is this a scam?

In my opinion, the site comes across as being from Apple Computer in Canada, (the copyright line, etc.) which in fact, this is not Apple. However, I don't understand what the site is really for. Read my pervious post from when I called Apple Canada yesterday:

Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Man 020581

It's not legit, if you call the Apple Canada business line, 1-800-263-3394, and give them the web site address they say that it is not a promotion from them.

• Reply 24 of 32
    Yeah, the math question is to keep it from being gambling. If winnning something involves a prize, a chance, and a consideration (price to enter), then you've got gaming, and you need a license. Most sweepstakes, therefore, give anyone who asks a ticket to enter, even though they give out *more* tickets in, say, every box of Cheerios. They also ask a skill-testing question, which eliminates some of the chance, making it skill instead.

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/gaming/gra...ensed/need.htm
  • Reply 25 of 32
    I too, in Canada got this thing in the mail. it LOOKED legit to me.... as for the idea that apple doesn't use flash on their pages, it seems that they might do so now... ie:

http://www.apple.com/education/hed/students/

I will call Apple Canada tomorrow and see what they say about the whole thing. IMO its legit.. but who knows..
  • Reply 26 of 32
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sobelizzard

I will call Apple Canada tomorrow and see what they say about the whole thing. IMO its legit.. but who knows..

What did they say?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Man 020581

It's not legit, if you call the Apple Canada business line 1-800-263-3394 , and give them the web site address they say that it is not a promotion from them. Wonder how long that site will be up....

Yeah ummm... again, I called and they told me what I said a few posts ago.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Maybe I am slow but I can't get passed the 8 digit code... I have tryed like 30 times now... maybe they have changed something?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Maybe I am slow but I can't get passed the 8 digit code... I have tryed like 30 times now... maybe they have changed something?

Yup, they changed it. You can't get in now without a passcode.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    You think this is bad...

you should see the bullsh!t "apple" stuff people auction on ebay...

For example I saw a Quicksliver dual g4 1.42, with ddr 333 and 167 fsb... the pics were of a quicksliver case in the sellers home.

Another example is a 2ghz g4 PowerBook... I WISH!

People just out to make a quick buck at other people's expence. Makes me sick!
  • Reply 31 of 32
    spymac says its real:

A website promising the chance to win a $2,000 shopping spree at Apple's online store is legitimate, Spymac has confirmed.

"Apple Canada is running a tightly focused promotional program," Apple Canada spokesman Simon Atkins told Spymac regarding AppleShoppingSpree.ca.

Readers who called Apple's Business Line were originally told that the promotion was not affiliated with Apple Canada, raising doubts of the site's validity.

"[AppleShoppingSpree.ca is] targeting its key customers via the Internet to encourage them to learn more about Mac OS X Jaguar and the Apple solutions available to them," Atkins said.

These "key customers" have not been defined, but apparently include select ADC members.

The promotion is only applicable in Canada and entry requires a code distributed by Apple Canada. At press time, Apple Canada's website did not contain any information regarding the site.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:

spymac says its real:

A website promising the chance to win a $2,000 shopping spree at Apple's online store is legitimate, Spymac has confirmed.

"Apple Canada is running a tightly focused promotional program," Apple Canada spokesman Simon Atkins told Spymac regarding AppleShoppingSpree.ca.

Readers who called Apple's Business Line were originally told that the promotion was not affiliated with Apple Canada, raising doubts of the site's validity.

"[AppleShoppingSpree.ca is] targeting its key customers via the Internet to encourage them to learn more about Mac OS X Jaguar and the Apple solutions available to them," Atkins said.

These "key customers" have not been defined, but apparently include select ADC members.

The promotion is only applicable in Canada and entry requires a code distributed by Apple Canada. At press time, Apple Canada's website did not contain any information regarding the site.

I would like to see Apple Canada come out and announce this, it's hard to believe that they told people that called them that this wasn't a promotion by them. Strange to say the least, I don't see what is secretive.