Motorola: Dual core, RapidIO, DDR, Altivec chip on roadmap.

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    deltadendeltaden Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

But Moto has been messing with Apple. The fact that a G4 still uses the MPX bus means that Moto isn't paying attention to the needs of their biggest customer. Moto's cancelling the G5 would be nothing but messing with their biggest customer.

I don't know if Moto's messing with Apple is intentional or unintentional. I think that it is mostly unintentional in that they are just plain incompetent, but it is also a bit intentional in that their management doesn't want to spend the money to build the state of the art fabs that are required to keep up to speed with Intel, AMD, and IBM. Moto's self promotion as a provider of embedded CPU's is messing with Apple, plain and simple.

Yes your are right, but Moto is perhaps thinking that they are not able to have an equivalent offering as the PPC970 ? Or they perhaps want to stop fabbing CPU fot Apple ? Perhaps they think they are no more able to compete in the high-end CPU arena and want to concentrate on the embedded market ? Seems strange :/

About state of the art fabs, this is becoming bigger and bigger investment. For example, AMD's last fab in Germany (and the only one producing AMD's CPU) cost more than one billion dollar. And this is not counting all the countinous cost for improving the fab and the process.

There will be more and more joint venture to try to keep the R&D costs "low". As an example, AMD and IBM have merged their process development teams and AMD engineers are now working in IBM's center in East Fishkill.
  • Reply 62 of 63
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Deltaden

Yes your are right, but Moto is perhaps thinking that they are not able to have an equivalent offering as the PPC970 ? Or they perhaps want to stop fabbing CPU fot Apple ? Perhaps they think they are no more able to compete in the high-end CPU arena and want to concentrate on the embedded market ? Seems strange :/

I think that Moto wants to get out of the CPU business. Rumor has it (from the Register) that they are trying to sell their semiconductor division. I guess that Moto wants to get rid of this division because it has not been turning a profit. This would probably be a good opportunity for Apple to pick up any Moto engineers who are suddenly available (surely some of them are accomplished Altivec programmers).
  • Reply 63 of 63
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Bla blah writes...

Show me an example of a (Other than NeXT) ~$200 million buyout made by Apple. Apple is very much a cash-management firm since they havent showed _operational profit_ in years.

But I could dig up this thread for you, some 6 months from now, and we´ll see who is correct. I´ve followed Apple since 96, and Im sick of bad car analogies and fantasy buyout rumors.

You still miss the entire point of what I posted. You said they can't afford it. I simply showed that they can. It's just that simple. I never commented on the liklihood of it happening. I just showed that they can afford it and there are some viable reasons to do it. Take the potatoes out of your ears and listen up...listen to what I'm telling you...you gotta listen up...