iTMS going for independent labels!!!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 21
    inactionmaninactionman Posts: 618member
    I meant to post this yesterday but I didn't get around to it. This is the reply I got from Gerard Cosloy, president/owner/founder of Matador records, about iTMS and a few of notes from CDbaby's website.

"My assumption is that the indie labels that are interested will be available on iTMS either this coming Tuesday or the following Tuesday. (I assume Tuesday because that's when Apple seems to do the major updates to iTunes)."

The labels reps that attended Thursday's meeting at Apple were asked to sign a document requesting a copy of Apple's contract for re-selling music in the iTunes Music Store (along with a non-disclosure agreement about the contents of that contract). Given that contracts couldn't have been circulated any sooner than Friday (let alone read and signed), I think this Tuesday or next is wildly optimistic.

"I just read an overview of Apple's meeting with the Indie labels at cdbaby.com. I'm hoping someone here could clarify a few things for me. It says:

"It's up to the partner/label to submit all the metadata (artist name, release date, song tiles, etc.), do the audio encoding, and upload the materials.

Every album needs to have a UPC Barcode!

You have to use their special Music Store Encoder tool for Mac OS X which will be released in 90 days or so."

I don't think this is entirely correct. Apple are working on Music Store Encoder software that that the labels can use (the interface looks very similiar to iTunes itself) for input and transfer of AAC files, art, meta data, etc., but I think it is possible for labels to provide necessary content before the software is made available (certainly the majors didn't have to wait). But said application seems relatively idiot-proof and should save a lot of time & hassle for the labels and Apple whenever it is finished.

"Does this mean that it'll be atleast 3 months before anything from the indie labels will be available on iTMS?"

I really have no idea. I think it depends on how fast agreements are reached and how fast the requisite content is provided to Apple. While I think that could physically be accomplished sooner than 3 months from now, it isn't appropriate for us to speculate how quickly Apple can get something up and running. I mean, you can all see for yourselves how prompt we are at writing news updates around here, far be it for us to call anyone else slow.

"Oh, and of course, is Matador going to sign on to iTMS?"

I think you can safely assume this is something we'd like to be involved with. Beyond that, we really can't comment.

thanks

GC

Everything in quotes are either my comments or from CDbaby.