Has there ever been a successful Marxist state ?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

not true . . .a romanticism that is easy to dispell

OK, dispell away. And try to stay away from any argument that could be analogized to having Bill Gates in a room full of persons who are, on average, multi-millionaires.

Quote:

wander off the tourist sanctioned pathways.

I have done this in Cuba. Quite poor, but safe. And, aside (I understand) from a period in the early 90s, nobody was starving.

On the other hand, I would not recommend wandering away from the tourist sanctioned areas of Mexico City or Buenos Aires, not if you value your life. Actually, I would also recommend that those who live there not 'wander around' in those areas, but they don't have a choice and nobody values their lives.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that Communism is a dead end and that Fidel has to go. But other political and economic systems can also produce poor results.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Yes but whiich is the lesser of two evils.

Unregulated capitalism ( dog eat Dog )

or unfettered Communism ( Dog f*ck Dog )
  • Reply 63 of 68
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Unregulated capitalism ( dog eat Dog )

I always find this point of view strange. I think unregulated capitalism was a huge failure in most respects. Why is it so glorified?
  • Reply 64 of 68
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I always find this point of view strange. I think unregulated capitalism was a huge failure in most respects. Why is it so glorified?

In the past it was reagan & Thatcher who did hommage to unregulated capitalism.

The only current person I can think of who glorifies such capitalism is.....

• Reply 65 of 68
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

ODon't get me wrong, I believe that Communism is a dead end and that Fidel has to go. But other political and economic systems can also produce poor results.

I absolutely agree with you and you bring up good points.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

In the past it was reagan & Thatcher who did hommage to unregulated capitalism.

The only current person I can think of who glorifies such capitalism is.....

No

its the dogma of half the conservatives on thes boards.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Neither system works really well, but I guess Cuba would be the best example of a successful 'Marxist' state. If the embargo were gone, they'd be doing better than they are. But they'd still have problems. On the flipside, a full Capitalist society leans towards a Dickens nightmare.

Neither is admirable, but Cuba is probably better in some ways, even if a dog-eat-dog style is more 'natural', like survival of the fittest. We're supposed to be able to rise above that.
  • Reply 68 of 68
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Of course all is not necessarily well in the world headquarters of capitalism either. Have the Republicans gone too far?