Why are you not allowed to pump your own gas in NJ or OR?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    You would be surprised. People who lose their gas caps because they rolled off the car's trunk. People who can't figure out that you have to lift the hook for the pump to start pumping. People who can't figure out how to lock the handle, they just stand there holding it so it will run. People who can't read the instructions to either pay at the pump or pay inside. None of these things are hard to learn or figure out, but when you've never done it, fear and shame of doing something wrong is also a great deterrent.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    matlockmatlock Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

None of these things are hard to learn or figure out, but when you've never done it, fear and shame of doing something wrong is also a great deterrent.

There's a first time for everything right? If they can't understand after a try or 2, well they shoudn't be driving...
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Take a chill, is it really a big deal?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    matlockmatlock Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Take a chill, is it really a big deal?

Absolutely not! I'm not taking this seriously, but I've always had trouble understanding how some people can be slow in their head. But hey, that's the world we live in
  • Reply 25 of 31
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Don't you people have a choice? Almost every station here you can have it pumped for you or pump your own (with about a 3¢/gallon savings). And what is this about tipping?? I've never seen anyone tip a gas station attendent. $3.. thats crazy.

I find it hard to believe that these laws are to prevent toping off or ozone leaking or whatever. Most station attendants do exactly what anyone else would do. Everyone of them will top off. Another thing I noticed is that the locks that allow you to walk away from the pump are disappearing. They are taking them out of more and more self-serve pumps at stations, forcing you to hold the handle the whole time.

I prefer to pump my own gas as its usually cheaper and quicker, but I hardly find full serve a novelty.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    hmmm, In NY, I have never ever seen a full service gas station. Always have to get out of the car and do it yourself. And you cant even lock the damn pumps, you have to stand there for a few minutes. i wanna drive somewhere and have someone else fill the car up for me
  • Reply 27 of 31
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I think they remove the locks in places where gas and go is common.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    I feel bad that I didn't see this thread earlier. I was recently involved in an argument over the stupidity of this law in Oregon. Many of my in-laws live in Oregon and are quite liberal. Being libertarian, I am quite opposed to such silly laws. I mean what next, people cutting our food and shoving it in our mouths for us to eat? These laws are designed to give dead-beats and "special" people jobs. I don't want Corky or some shifty-eye nearly homeless junkie pumping my gas or touching my ride. I mean its cool that Oregon has no sales tax, but this is dumb. Geez, what a state.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Being formerly from the same area as xionja, I've discovered the same thing about the gas pumps often times not having locks. For the first couple of times, I thought I was just too dumb to figure them out.

Thing is, although the laws are antiquated, we also live in an extremely litigious society. While the libertarian approach would seem to make sense, I would bet that by now some people in OR and NJ would jump on the chance to sue the gas stations if so much as a drop of gas stained their slacks.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    Your point is well made BuonRotto. I bow my head in shame for the depths humanity has sunk.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    I grew up in NJ and recently moved to Indiana. I personally hate having to pump my gas. Right now the cost of gas is cheaper in my home state than where I am so it's not cheaper to have self service. So if someone wants to earn minimum wage to pump my gas for me and allow me to stay in the comfort of my car (especially during foul weather) and it doesn't cost me more, I'm all for it. I know that other states had similar laws years and years ago but got rid of them. I just know with our current economy all those extra jobs could really help. I know this post is almost a decade old but I wanted to share a Jersey perspective. Call it lazy or whatever you like but not having to pump gas is viewed as a perk. Right now with my husband deployed I go out of my way to the only full service gas station in my county to have them pump it for me. It costs five cents more a gallon but if I pay cash there is a five cents a gallon discount which makes it even. I hate pumping my own gas, just because I know how doesn't mean I should do it. I know how to change a tire but I'm still going to call triple A to do it for me.