Hydrogen can hurt the environment?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yahoo news......

Obviously this isn't final, and it seems like they could fix it given enough time but just thought that it was intersting that even hydrogen can kill the ozone layer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Crap!
  • Reply 2 of 37
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Isn't the article more slanted towards IF, hydrogen has an impact on the atmosphere, then it could be a problem, not hydrogen will destroy the ozone layer. This strikes me more as news that has been spiced up with some ratings motivated sensationalism, rather than "late-breaking, crucial news". It seems like if they had just plainly said, "It might happen", then people would say, "Well duh! Why don't you go do some chemical equation balances and supercomputer simulations and get back to us when you know for sure?... Why are you bugging me with this now?"

Oh well. I'm just saying this reads more like "fluff" (with a grain of truth) than real, life-impacting news.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    One environmental problem with burning hydrogen that I've heard of before is the production of nitrous oxide: using ordinary air to burn hydrogen, air which is about 70% nitrogen, can cause some of the oxygen in the air to combine with available nitrogen as well as the hydrogen fuel. I believe there might be ways to mitigate this problem, but it's been a long time since I last heard about that issue, and I don't think the problem applies to fuel cells, but rather to such things as standard internal combustion engines modified to use hydrogen instead of gasoline.

Never heard of this atmospheric CFC-like ozone depletion issue. I wonder if there are adequate computer models to test such things out with any degree of reliability.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Psuedo-Science from enviromentalists. Total speculation with no blind testings, no comparative analysis of gas interactions.

Maybe it should have read :

"Yahoo news causes Ozone breakdown "
  • Reply 5 of 37
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

One environmental problem with burning hydrogen that I've heard of before is the production of nitrous oxide:

wait, so if we switch to hydrogen fuel, instead of CO pollution we'll get Nitrus?

dude, laughing gas for everyone! Woo Hoo!!!

the world will be a happier place.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

"Yahoo news causes Ozone breakdown "

Good one!

As for mitigation of NOx's, it's called a catalytic convertor. Since they have them for cars now, I don't thing it will be such a stretch to come up with one for hydrogen.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    enaena Posts: 667member
    ...that settles it I'm not waiting for the next-gen hybrid. I think I'll put a Hemi in the Voyager SE and be done with it.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    matlockmatlock Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

One environmental problem with burning hydrogen that I've heard of before is the production of nitrous oxide: using ordinary air to burn hydrogen, air which is about 70% nitrogen, can cause some of the oxygen in the air to combine with available nitrogen as well as the hydrogen fuel.

Fuel Cells are not actually "burning" hydrogen. Burning gaz in a regular engine produces heat and pressure that move the pistons. In fuel cells the hydrogen is oxydized to produce directly free electrons, which causes an electric current. I'm not sure, but i think nitrous oxydes cannot form unless there is some heat involved, and fuel cells do not get hot (except maybe from the resistance to electric current, but that's another matter, and if well designed, it won't happen). But you may correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

So the ozone gets eaten up."

That shows how it takes a single chloride atom to start a chain reaction that potentially eats up a hell of a lot of ozone.

One of the Major scientific flaws with the " CFC eats up the Ozone hypothesis " is that not a single atmospheric scientist ( meteorolgist ) has been able to show or indeed model how the CFC gases allegedly transmigrate from the Northern hemisphere ( where the bulk of industrially made-CFC-production occured ) to rent a hole in ozone at the southern pole. It is in itself a mojor hurdle.

But even if we accept for a moment that such man made CFC's cleverly migrate to the Antarctic for the summer holidays, it still needs to be pointed out that unlike the Artic , the Antarctic is a continental land mass which includes one of the world's largest & most active volcanoes..Mount Erubus.

Since the mid 1980's volcanologists & atmospheric scientists have discovered that Mount Erubus spews out over 150,000 tons of HF per year ( Hydrogen Flouride ) directly into the ozone hole.

in comparison, only 2,500 tons of man made flourines are released as the result of CFC break-up.

(1995 figures ). This finding is supported by further research into the relationship between natural volcanic activity & ozone depletion. (Nature 8/4/88 ).

It is increasingly clear that the "Ozone Depletion " theory is in need of a serious re-assesment, mainly because evidence is growing to suggest that rather than it being a direct outcome of mankind's industrial pollutants, it is a naturally ocuring cycle.

But your correct in being concerned about CFC's.

It is one of the culprits, but in comparison to what Erebus & the numerous volcanoes that rim the southern pacific, including the Andes, Indonesia, New Guinea, new Zealand spew into the southern atmosphere..it truly is tiddly winks in its effect on the Ozone " Problem " 8)
  • Reply 10 of 37
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    hey hey, while we're on it, I recently read an article that put the "wheel to well" efficiency of a hydrogen fuel cell based vehicle at just a little better than hybrid diesel electric (but not much). Interesting. Because although hydrogen aplenty exist all around us, getting it into useable (storable) form requires significant power. Mebbe it's because they figure the power would not come from the cleanest generatiing techniques so that he overall environmental impact, while less, would not fall into the virtually "free" clean source of environmentalist utopia. Unless we can get a LOT more (and more efficient solar power) it appears that there's no free ride in terms of fuel sources. On a level that makes sense, we'd still burn a lot of coal, gas, and nuclear to get the electricity we need for a hydrogen based economy.

Benefits are, of course, in no longer having to pussyfoot with errant Arabs, and though not "free and clean" it's still better than what we're using right now. Research into bio-fuels, however, should not be abandoned, we will still burn organic fuels by all accounts, perhaps it would be better to grow them rather than mine them?
  • Reply 11 of 37
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

One of the Major scientific flaws with the " CFC eats up the Ozone hypothesis " is that not a single atmospheric scientist ( meteorolgist ) has been able to show or indeed model how the CFC gases allegedly transmigrate from the Northern hemisphere ( where the bulk of industrially made-CFC-production occured ) to rent a hole in ozone at the southern pole. It is in itself a mojor hurdle.

But even if we accept for a moment that such man made CFC's cleverly migrate to the Antarctic for the summer holidays, it still needs to be pointed out that unlike the Artic , the Antarctic is a continental land mass which includes one of the world's largest & most active volcanoes..Mount Erubus.

Since the mid 1980's volcanologists & atmospheric scientists have discovered that Mount Erubus spews out over 150,000 tons of HF per year ( Hydrogen Flouride ) directly into the ozone hole.

in comparison, only 2,500 tons of man made flourines are released as the result of CFC break-up.

(1995 figures ). This finding is supported by further research into the relationship between natural volcanic activity & ozone depletion. (Nature 8/4/88 ).

It is increasingly clear that the "Ozone Depletion " theory is in need of a serious re-assesment, mainly because evidence is growing to suggest that rather than it being a direct outcome of mankind's industrial pollutants, it is a naturally ocuring cycle.

But your correct in being concerned about CFC's.

It is one of the culprits, but in comparison to what Erebus & the numerous volcanoes that rim the southern pacific, including the Andes, Indonesia, New Guinea, new Zealand spew into the southern atmosphere..it truly is tiddly winks in its effect on the Ozone " Problem " 8)

Its not the flourine that is causing the ozone depletion in models, it is the chlorine. Florine radicals are simply not as stable (and thus are not formed as readily)as chlorine radicals and cannot propigate the radical reaction as easily.

and to answer tonton's question, the stars after the hydroxyl (HO*) and the oxygen O2*, indicate that these species are radicals capable of continuing to react... However, I suspect that it is a lot easier to form atomic chlorine than it is to for atomic hydrogen (actually, i am sure of it)...
  • Reply 12 of 37
    it is almost impossible at this point to store enough H2 to power anything for a significant period... current pursuits are the creation and use of 10000 psi (thats 10^4) tanks, which is somewhat absurd, but hydrogen fortunately doesnt explode like hydrocarbons do...

(oh, and i have some inside information on the direction the government (and Apple!!11!,jk) is taking on the production of h2 in large quantities) )
  • Reply 13 of 37
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think solar power would have to make huge advancements if it were to provide all the electricity needed to produce enough hydrogen for the number of vehicles on the road today (assuming that all vehicles on the raod were hydrogen based.) Wind power is also not withou environmental effects. It looks to me like alternative fuels will supplement NOT replace traditional power sources, and not out of conspiracy but out of neccessity.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    The o-zone layer is a myth perpetuated by Communists and lesbians.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

The o-zone layer is a myth perpetuated by Communists and lesbians.

cynical moderator emeritus, why do you forsake the communist lesbians?
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

Its not the flourine that is causing the ozone depletion in models, it is the chlorine. Florine radicals are simply not as stable (and thus are not formed as readily)as chlorine radicals and cannot propigate the radical reaction as easily.

I beg to differ re Flourine, that it is in the quantity of output.

Furthermore if Chlorine is shown to be the culprit, how do you account for the fact that over 600 million tons of Chloride are evaporated from the ocean every year.?

And yes whilst the vast percentage is returned within a short span cycle, it still leaves over sufficient quantities of Chlorine in the air to far outway anything we ever put into the atmosphere by way of industrially manufactured CFC's

Sadly, much of what passes for dogma is questionable science.

Rowland & Molina (1973) Theory of Ozone depletion based on the Chlorine radical model assumed that CFC's were so inert that there are no sinks*

Further, they assumed that ultraviolet radiation breaks up CFC's in the stratosphere thereby freeing a chlorine atom. The theory futher assumes that Chlorine reacts with ozone to produce daitomic oxygen and a highly reactive compound, Chlorine monoxide.

This is the basis of the claimed Molina model of Chain reaction.

Using the CFC-12 refrigerant as the base we see :

CC12F2+Ultraviolet radiation--->C1+CC1F2

C1+O3...>C1O+O2

C1O+O...>C1=O2

Unfortunately neither Molina or Rowland had backgrounds in Atmospheric chemistry ( stratospheric ) nor in its modelling. ( Molina's background was in Chemical lasers. )

So they never took into account the fact that CFC ( depending on which compound is being weighed ) can be as much as 8 times heavier than air. Massive air updrafting is needed to catapult such heavy-weight compounds into the upper stratosphere where they are meant reamain long enough to do their damage.

As per Sinks I can't list them all but some immediately come to mind.

Oceans ( both inorganic & organic sinks ), soils, terrestial biomass ( lipoproteins ), even air borne biota all gobble up CFC's as a food source.

This is the same fate that Australian Doctor's A.Khalil & Rasmussen came upon when they were attempting to calibrate Freon gas exchange on soils infested with termite colonies. ( 1989 ) CSIRO

I don't have all the facts & figures before me, but these at least should raise a few doubts..about the standard research ( tied to research funding ) answers that are poured out by the doom merchants.

8)
  • Reply 17 of 37
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    so if CFC's continue to destroy the ozone until they run into other CFC's, wouldn't the best method to help the ozone be.....

produce more CFC's! then they won't have any problem finding eachother, and will leave the ozone alone!
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:

Furthermore if Chlorine is shown to be the culprit, how do you account for the fact that over 600 million tons of Chloride are evaporated from the ocean every year.?

So they never took into account the fact that CFC ( depending on which compound is being weighed ) can be as much as 8 times heavier than air. Massive air updrafting is needed to catapult such heavy-weight compounds into the upper stratosphere where they are meant reamain long enough to do their damage.

First a little chemistry. The formation of a chlorine radical from CFC's is strongly dependent on the florines. Why? Because florines stabilize the carbon radical. Homeolytic cleavage of a Cl-C bond is a very high energy process, adding flourines reduces the energy of this cleavage by stabiliting the carbon radical, reducing the energy increases the wavelength of light needed to break the bond which subsequently increases the amount of output of Cl*.

Second a little common sense. Weight eh? Weight has very little (other than difussion locally and the a low correlation to boiling point) to do with volitility of compounds (boiling point is a better scale). Once a compound is in the air it remains in the air unless a) the pressure increases when the temperature remains the same or decreases or b) the temperature decreases to below boiling point at the given pressure or c) it becomes part of a solution that is liquid. No massive uplifting is needed.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    alcimedes is right.

The CFCs are just lonely. All they want in life is to meet a nice CFC and take that CFC home to the CFC family and make little happy CFC babies and live in peace.

Goddam Communist lesbians with their O-Zone! The destruction of the American Fluorocarbon family!
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

alcimedes is right.

The CFCs are just lonely. All they want in life is to meet a nice CFC and take that CFC home to the CFC family and make little happy CFC babies and live in peace.

Goddam Communist lesbians with their O-Zone! The destruction of the American Fluorocarbon family!

goddam commies.

they're the ones who put flourine in our water to begin with. now they just want to f*ck with our heads...