Anyone got info on 'Q6'?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 112
    alexanderalexander Posts: 206member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mania

what the hell was that?

Sigh...I'm so underappreciated. You also have to have seen the Steve Ballmer screaming monkey thing, but I figured you all would have. Domo-Kun is a Japanese character, kind of like Pikachu but not as popular/well-known in the US. Not really important, he just has good swinging arms.
  • Reply 22 of 112
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Yes, it's a multi-layered subreference. Ballmer literally went apesh!t at a MS developers conference. One guy turned it into a song. Some other guy turned that song into a video. And this last person replaced that video of Ballmer with a video of a Japanese TV mascot.

It's crazy, it's funny,... it's kind of unsettling (Ballmer's personality and that freaky mascot).

Screed
  • Reply 23 of 112
    Shouldn't have read this thread...now I'm going to have 'Developers, developers, developers, developers' going through my head for the rest of the day...
  • Reply 24 of 112
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rutabaga

what is the 12 inch powerbook then?

The 12-inch PowerBook is a "small fully-featured notebook." A subnotebook would skip the optical drive for additional space- and weight-savings.

Escher
  • Reply 25 of 112
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    First "Smeagol" and now "Black Rider." What's next? Faramir? Shelob?
  • Reply 26 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

The 12-inch PowerBook is a "small fully-featured notebook." A subnotebook would skip the optical drive for additional space- and weight-savings.

Escher

Wayyy back in the day, when Escher was using a 2400, and the current iBook form factor didn't exist, I sympathized with him. Apple did need a smaller, lighter notebook.

But now, when we have a beautiful, tiny laptop available to us, I've discovered that Escher is really somewhat of a loon.

Not to say that his subnote wouldn't be an interesting product, but it has ceased to be a viable product. Components have gotten small enough to produce the 12" PB, which is as small as (or smaller than) people reasonably want. Smaller, and it simply becomes difficult to use in one way or another.

Me, I want a 17" now, but I don't plan to carry it around much.
  • Reply 27 of 112
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rutabaga

what is the 12 inch powerbook then?

Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Escher

Forgive him Escher, for he knoweth not who he speaketh to.
  • Reply 28 of 112
    gnurfgnurf Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB

First "Smeagol" and now "Black Rider." What's next? Faramir? Shelob?

Treebeard? - powerful, huge

Shadowfax? - fast, beautiful

Gimli? - small, deadly

• Reply 29 of 112
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    If subnote MUST skip those features, then I don't think Apple will ever supply one.

I think the 12" PB will still shrink a bit, and Apple might make an Escher-sub-notebook size eventually, but it will always contain an optical drive, and be fully featured.

I could see a "keyboard" footprint foldover tablet/subnote hybrid once the technology to make it small, fast, light, DURABLE and AFFORDABLE becomes a reality, basically, not for a while.

I only expect Apple to push the envelope of fully featured machines, tey will not jetison features to make a weight, nor should they.
  • Reply 30 of 112
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    a sub-note is too much of a niche product.
  • Reply 31 of 112
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Well, I went with a gut feeling and checked for the gadgets that 'Q' supplied James Bond in the the '6'th film (On Her Majesty's Secret Service)....

All of Apple's product code names are now letter/number. This is to assist in confusing rivals and plugging leaks.

For instance, the January Power Mac G4 is "P58". A newer Power Mac is actually being sold now, a technical update "P58B". The Xserve 1.3GHz is Q28. The Xserve RAID is P85.

Barto
  • Reply 32 of 112
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    So would the letter deliniate a product? If P=PowerMac and Q=Xserve, then we'd be looking at a new Xserve....no?

Besides, I was just having a bit of fun with my Bond snooping.
  • Reply 33 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Thin client?

also a good call. Is there a market for an apple thin client though?

Apple's traditional markets- image processing video wouldn't seem to be the best applications for a thin client approach with all the bandwidth required.

Wish apple did provide a thin client solution though-my brother works in this area on the pc side (www.applicationdelivery.com), and I think the technology's great.
  • Reply 34 of 112
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

So would the letter deliniate a product? If P=PowerMac and Q=Xserve, then we'd be looking at a new Xserve....no?

The letters and numbers are random, as far as I can tell.
  • Reply 35 of 112
    james bjames b Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Besides, I was just having a bit of fun with my Bond snooping.

Don't think it would work like this, to easy to recognise code name. So I would imagine that the letter and number are more random than that.

On the subnotebook concept, I think a subnotebook would have a better market than a PDA. More ram, comes with a harddrive etc. I would love to have a small laptop that I can carry with me everywhere, and to jot down notes, check email, surf etc. I don't want a 12" to do this - too large still. And don't need the CD drive either. Just give me Airport Extreme and bluetooth and I'm set

EDIT: Barto, you beat me to it!
  • Reply 36 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

The letters and numbers are random, as far as I can tell.

Try harder.
  • Reply 37 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flippant Funbags

Try harder.

Well, I imagine the numbers are sequential based on project inception date, and the majority don't make it to a final product. P vs Q, the only thing I can think of is P is a mainline project, and Q is a super-secret "black" project.
  • Reply 38 of 112
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    Q = Cube

6 = 6 Sides

hence a 6 sided cube

problem solved
  • Reply 39 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander

Well, I imagine the numbers are sequential based on project inception date, and the majority don't make it to a final product. P vs Q, the only thing I can think of is P is a mainline project, and Q is a super-secret "black" project.

Well, here are some other codenames. I'd possibly disregard the top two, and the remainder don't really identify a trend. I couldn't find codes for the Powerbooks, though, nor for any other accessories such as the iPod, or monitors other than the Cinema.

Book (original): P1

iBook (FireWire): P1.5

iBook (Dual USB): P29

Power Macinotsh G4 Mirrored Drive Doors: P57

Power Macintosh G4 FW 800: P58

Apple Cinema HD Display: P63

eMac: P69

iMac (17-inch Flat-Panel): P79

iMac (Flat-Panel): P80

iBook (Late 2001): P92
  • Reply 40 of 112
    johnsonwaxjohnsonwax Posts: 462member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsonwax

Well, here are some other codenames. I'd possibly disregard the top two, and the remainder don't really identify a trend. I couldn't find codes for the Powerbooks, though, nor for any other accessories such as the iPod, or monitors other than the Cinema.

Book (original): P1

iBook (FireWire): P1.5

iBook (Dual USB): P29

Power Macinotsh G4 Mirrored Drive Doors: P57

Power Macintosh G4 FW 800: P58

Apple Cinema HD Display: P63

eMac: P69

iMac (17-inch Flat-Panel): P79

iMac (Flat-Panel): P80

iBook (Late 2001): P92

Apologies on the self-reply and bump...

Can anyone comment on whether Q6 might be the new Powermacs or another product? Another build of OS X beyond Panther and Smeagol suggests a different family of products, rather than yet another Powermac. I'm thinking something like a thin client myself, given Panthers supposed remote GUI, and multiple graphical login.