Safari for Windows?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Probably because you aren't looking in the right place. A quick look at the Windows versions of iTunes and the QuickTime player show a lot of similarity to their MacOS X siblings. It is my understanding that behind the Mac-like GUI, a substantial fraction of MacOS X was ported to Windows to support QuickTime and iTunes on that platform.

I don't agree at all. If you have any examples to support your claim that a substantial fraction of Mac OS X was ported to Windows (x86) in order to allow for QuickTime and iTunes, and better yet, to show us how a substantial fraction of Mac OS X is able to be ported and still be able to be 21.5 MB, the size of the SetupiTunes.exe in XP, then it'd be easier for me to see what you're saying.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Oh great another browser for windows, just what we need \. Safari will not offer anything really profound or intuitive to the windows platform, it would be just another browser amongst the millions. If you really want to use Konquer , install Cygwin or NX, they?re great programs.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

What?! Then how come I don't see Aqua AT ALL on Windows 2000/XP?

suspicious
  • Reply 44 of 61
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

suspicious

what's suspicious?
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:

what's suspicious?

well someone said you had to port aqua, you said they hadn't for windows, so I said what the guy said was suspicious, probably more suspect though.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    rara Posts: 623member
    Apple is a hardware company. They are in the business of selling hardware. Any software they make is done only to promote hardware sales. Why is iTunes on Windows? To sell more iPods. From this perspective, why would Apple port Safari to Windows? They won't. It's never going to happen.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

I don't agree at all. If you have any examples to support your claim that a substantial fraction of Mac OS X was ported to Windows (x86) in order to allow for QuickTime and iTunes, and better yet, to show us how a substantial fraction of Mac OS X is able to be ported and still be able to be 21.5 MB, the size of the SetupiTunes.exe in XP, then it'd be easier for me to see what you're saying.

You seem to labor under the delusion that QuickTime is an application. It is not. QuickTime is the multimedia layer of MacOS X. This is not in dispute. As multimedia layer of MacOS X, it comprises a substantial fraction of the OS. QuickTime for Windows is a port of QuickTime for the MacOS X, not some other software under the same name. Porting QuickTime to Windows does not magically transform it to something else. It remains a substantial fraction of MacOS X.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

You seem to labor under the delusion that QuickTime is an application. It is not. QuickTime is the multimedia layer of MacOS X. This is not in dispute. As multimedia layer of MacOS X, it comprises a substantial fraction of the OS. QuickTime for Windows is a port of QuickTime for the MacOS X, not some other software under the same name. Porting QuickTime to Windows does not magically transform it to something else. It remains a substantial fraction of MacOS X.

No, QuickTime in Windows is just an application. And a very bad one at that. Its not a multimedia layer of Windows XP, and it has no resemblance to the original QuickTime in Mac OS X, apart from the name and the same company.

The media layer in XP is Windows Media Player, and I seriously doubt that Microsoft would let anyone, let alone Apple, substitute their own media layer with QuickTime.

If you ever use Windows, fire up QuickTime (if its even there, 'cause you gotta download it) and you will see the difference between QuickTime in Mac OS X and QuickTime in WindowsXP.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Quote:

No, QuickTime in Windows is just an application. And a very bad one at that. Its not a multimedia layer of Windows XP, and it has no resemblance to the original QuickTime in Mac OS X, apart from the name and the same company.

The media layer in XP is Windows Media Player, and I seriously doubt that Microsoft would let anyone, let alone Apple, substitute their own media layer with QuickTime.

If you ever use Windows, fire up QuickTime (if its even there, 'cause you gotta download it) and you will see the difference between QuickTime in Mac OS X and QuickTime in WindowsXP.

Apart from a few minor cosmetic differences I think the applications are the same. The application on the mac isn't groundbreaking, it's the fact it's built into finder so brilliantly. But if WMP is built into windows how can the EU demand that they ship computers without it? A mac without quicktime wouldn't work properly.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:

Apart from a few minor cosmetic differences I think the applications are the same. The application on the mac isn't groundbreaking, it's the fact it's built into finder so brilliantly. But if WMP is built into windows how can the EU demand that they ship computers without it? A mac without quicktime wouldn't work properly.

Yes, its built into the finder, vis-a-vis the system. On Windows its just another application. Its not any different from say, DivX player or VLC.

But, Windows Media Player is built into the Explorer somewhat, though not to the extent of QuickTime on Finder.

Well, the EU can demand and Windows is shipping without them. But, in order to do that, Microsoft is creating a different version of XP. That's because you can't remove WMP. But you can remove QuickTime - the application - if you want.

The EU is arguing, successfully, that Microsoft is eliminating competition by not giving the user the option to uninstall WMP and by bundling it with the OS. Because Microsoft is a giant in OS software, its impact is much bigger than that of Apple bundling QuickTime.

Anyway, if I'm wrong, please correct me.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    Quote:

Yes, its built into the finder, vis-a-vis the system. On Windows its just another application. Its not any different from say, DivX player or VLC.

But, Windows Media Player is built into the Explorer somewhat, though not to the extent of QuickTime on Finder.

Well, the EU can demand and Windows is shipping without them. But, in order to do that, Microsoft is creating a different version of XP. That's because you can't remove WMP. But you can remove QuickTime - the application - if you want.

The EU is arguing, successfully, that Microsoft is eliminating competition by not giving the user the option to uninstall WMP and by bundling it with the OS. Because Microsoft is a giant in OS software, its impact is much bigger than that of Apple bundling QuickTime.

Anyway, if I'm wrong, please correct me.

Windows can work without WMP the framework isn't required as much. OS X wouldn't work without quicktime. If Apple had the majority they couldn't be asked to remove it, it's built into the finder. Windows hasn't got WMP built into it.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:

Windows can work without WMP the framework isn't required as much. OS X wouldn't work without quicktime. If Apple had the majority they couldn't be asked to remove it, it's built into the finder. Windows hasn't got WMP built into it.

You are ignoring one thing: whatever you build, you can also take out. IE is also built into the kernel, but it can be taken out; if Microsoft wants to take it out. Apple can continue to provide the media layer but not bundle the application called QuickTime. That's what Microsoft will do. They will only take out the application, not the entire media layer. .wma will still be playable, but you will be required to download WMP yourself, or choose something else, and download some other media player, like WinAMP, etc.

I'm not saying anything about QuickTime in OS X, I'm saying that QuickTime in OS X functions differently from QuickTime in XP.

And WMP is also built into Explorer. If you open a Folder that contains music, you will see on the left side a column that says:

" 1. Play All

2. Shop for music online

3. Copy All items to Audio CD "

That's built in right into the Explorer, and there's no way you can take it out. You can hide it, but not eliminate it. That's what I call being built-in.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:

You are ignoring one thing: whatever you build, you can also take out. IE is also built into the kernel, but it can be taken out; if Microsoft wants to take it out. Apple can continue to provide the media layer but not bundle the application called QuickTime. That's what Microsoft will do. They will only take out the application, not the entire media layer. .wma will still be playable, but you will be required to download WMP yourself, or choose something else, and download some other media player, like WinAMP, etc.

I'm not saying anything about QuickTime in OS X, I'm saying that QuickTime in OS X functions differently from QuickTime in XP.

And WMP is also built into Explorer. If you open a Folder that contains music, you will see on the left side a column that says:

" 1. Play All

2. Shop for music online

3. Copy All items to Audio CD "

That's built in right into the Explorer, and there's no way you can take it out. You can hide it, but not eliminate it. That's what I call being built-in.

agreed
  • Reply 54 of 61
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Safari for Windows?

You mean Firefox?
  • Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:

agreed

when you click play all it actually opens WMP and the same with pictures, windows picture viewer is open, explorer has very little built into it.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Fine, you want proof.

06.10 $

pwd

/cygdrive/c/programme/iTunes

06.10 $

strings iTunes.exe | grep ^CF

CFIAt

CFIAu

CFIA

CFPR

CFPR

CFPQ

CFPR

CFPR

CFPR

CFPR

CFPR

CFPQ

CFPR

CFPQ

CFPR

CFPR

CFPR

CFPR

CFPR

CFArray

CFString

CFAllocator

CFNull

CFType

CFData

CFDictionary

CFBoolean

CFNumber

CFSet

CFHTTPMessage

CF$UID

CFPropertyListAllowImmutableCollections

CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.

CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): The file name for this data might be (or it might not): %@

CFURL

CFTimeZone

CFDate

CFStorage

CFUniqueString-%lu%lu$

CFCharacterSetBitmaps.bitmap

CFUniCharPropertyDatabase.data

CFUnicodeData-L.mapping

CFCharacterSetCheckForExpandedSet

CFCharacterSet

CFLocale

CFBinaryHeap

CFBitVector

CFBag

CFTree

CFXMLNode 0x%x>{typeID = %d, string = %@}

CFXMLNode

CFXMLParser

CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion

CFBundleExecutable

CFBundleIdentifier

CFBundleVersion

CFBundleDevelopmentRegion

CFBundleLocalizations

CFBundlePackageType

CFBundleSignature

CFBundleIconFile

CFBundleDocumentTypes

CFBundleURLTypes

CFBundleName

CFBundleDisplayName

CFBundleShortVersionString

CFBundleGetInfoString

CFBundleGetInfoHTML

CFBundleTypeName

CFBundleTypeRole

CFBundleTypeIconFile

CFBundleTypeOSTypes

CFBundleTypeExtensions

CFBundleTypeMIMETypes

CFBundleURLName

CFBundleURLIconFile

CFBundleURLSchemes

CFBundleInfoPlistURL

CFBundleNumericVersion

CFBundleExecutablePath

CFBundleCFMLoadAsBundle

CFBundleAllowMixedLocalizations

CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x%x <%@> (%@%sloaded)

CFBundle 0x%x <%@> (%@%sloaded)

CFBundle

CFBundleDisableStringsSharing

CFPlugInDynamicRegistration

CFPlugInDynamicRegisterFunction

CFPlugInUnloadFunction

CFPlugInFactories

CFPlugInTypes

CFPlugInInstance

CFUUID

CFRunLoopMode

CFRunLoop

CFRunLoopSource

CFRunLoopObserver

CFRunLoopTimer

CFSocketRegistryRequest

CFSocket

CFSocketSetAddress(): listen() failed, error %d

CFSocketSetAcceptBacklog(): listen() failed, error %d

CFReadStream

CFWriteStream

CFProcessPath

CFKeyedArchiverUID

CFPlugInDynamicRegister

CFXCD

CFCm

CFCm

CFCm

06.10 $

strings iTunes.exe | grep ^NS

NSVWU0

NSYD

NSDecimalSeparator

NSExecutable

NSInfoPlistVersion

NSHumanReadableName

NSIcon

NSTypes

NSAppVersion

NSName

NSRole

NSUnixExtensions

NSDOSExtensions

NSMacOSType

NSR0%d

That enough? As you can see, iTunes for Windows contains a ton of headers from CoreFoundation. Since CoreFoundation is *Mac OS X*'s API to unify Carbon and Cocoa features, obviously we have quite a straight port here.

And if you've never seen any Aqua in iTunes for Windows, I'll have to assume you've never launched the app at all.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

[B]Fine, you want proof.

I wanted proof how a substantial fraction of Mac OS X can be ported to Windows and still be only 21 MB.

A couple of buttons looking like Aqua doesn't mean the entire Aqua was ported.

Otherwise, what to say about this?

http://www.deviantart.com/view/6173778/

that's not safari, that's firefox.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Apple can continue to provide the media layer but not bundle the application called QuickTime.

The application isn't called Quicktime - it's called Quicktime Player!

Quote:

That's different. Quicktime is actually what does the display and image processing for a heck of a lot of apps. The finder preview was one example, but how about opening strange graphics in iphoto? Video export in imovie? Handling sound files such as Ogg or Wav in iTunes? Or, leaving Apple's apps, how about displaying images in Omniweb? Providing more export formats in GraphicConverter? These apps would all break without Quicktime.

Microsoft's linking, as far as I'm aware, just counts as a few built-in shortcuts. Certainly, Quicktime is built in a lot deeper than the example you posted.

Amorya
  • Reply 59 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

That enough? As you can see, iTunes for Windows contains a ton of headers from CoreFoundation. Since CoreFoundation is *Mac OS X*'s API to unify Carbon and Cocoa features, obviously we have quite a straight port here.

And if you've never seen any Aqua in iTunes for Windows, I'll have to assume you've never launched the app at all.

They've reduced aqua in iTunes with 4.7.1
  • Reply 60 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

The application isn't called Quicktime - it's called Quicktime Player!

This doesn't matter much, because you know what I mean when I say QuickTime. I mean the player. I don't see what's so important here as to stress the difference.

Quote:

That's different. Quicktime is actually what does the display and image processing for a heck of a lot of apps. The finder preview was one example, but how about opening strange graphics in iphoto? Video export in imovie? Handling sound files such as Ogg or Wav in iTunes? Or, leaving Apple's apps, how about displaying images in Omniweb? Providing more export formats in GraphicConverter? These apps would all break without Quicktime.

Microsoft's linking, as far as I'm aware, just counts as a few built-in shortcuts. Certainly, Quicktime is built in a lot deeper than the example you posted.

Amorya [/B]

Agreed. However, I don't know why we got to what QuickTime does and whether it would break or not. I think me and MacCrazy were talking about how Microsoft is gonna take out WMP for the EU market and he said that if Apple does the same thing it would break the system. I said that it would, but that WMP is also built in to some extent though certainly not as much as QuickTime.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this.