MWSF Question...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kurt:

<strong>

This positive note comes to you from the AI Community Webmaster. No wonder this forum seems so anti-Mac anymore. Even someone with enough interest in being the AI Community Webmaster (and whatever that entails) has such a negative attitude. I need to stop visiting here so much.</strong><hr></blockquote>

People are entitled to their opinions, right?
  • Reply 22 of 37
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    The Quicksilver was announced at MWNY '01. I ordered mine the first week of August and had it within 10 days or so, so the delay wasn't that long.

I think the MW shows are moving towards showing off the whole 'digital hub' strategy versus new hardware. I mean, what did we get last MW? It was nothing more than 90 minutes of "Jag-wire comes with 150 new features all at less than $1 each!", "we're now charging for previously 'free for life' services", and "bleepbleepbleepbleepbleepbleep!"

I wouldn't be holding my breath for new towers at MWSF, but I wouldn't say it's not a possibility. If you're going to buy, go ahead and do so. Usually Apple has some pretty good offers with display/tower combinations around now. Once you've made the purchase, don't look back.

As long as you're not doing some intensive work, if you have a machine that can run OS X, it'll get you far enough for daily tasks. However, if you need a replacement machine and can't wait up to 4 months (in case towers don't appear until March), then buy now and enjoy the promotions they have.

Personally, if I were considering a new machine right now, I wouldn't buy now, since I have an inkling that the next towers will bring some much needed improvements (and possibly a new CPU).
  • Reply 23 of 37
    First of all, thank you guys for all of your ideas and information. Very useful! But here is a question for you; when the 64-bit chips come out and a 64-bit OS is required to run those systems, will 32-bit computers become useless or will there be some sort of backwards compatibility (hopefully)?? Paying all this money now for the best system and then having Apple say you can only run the new 64-bit OS on the 64-bit hardware 1 year or so from now would suck bigtime!!!
  • Reply 24 of 37
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    [quote]Originally posted by nauf:

<strong>First of all, thank you guys for all of your ideas and information. Very useful! But here is a question for you; when the 64-bit chips come out and a 64-bit OS is required to run those systems, will 32-bit computers become useless or will there be some sort of backwards compatibility (hopefully)?? Paying all this money now for the best system and then having Apple say you can only run the new 64-bit OS on the 64-bit hardware 1 year or so from now would suck bigtime!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think there are actually viable threads on these subjects already.

For questions about them, check out:

'Software issue will make 970ppc based machines suck'

and of course the thread of all threads CONFIRMED IBM Power PC 970.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I wouldn't buy a new tower right now. They might well be the lowest 'high end' Apple has ever dared to offer.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I think that the reason that people don't like the current PowerMacs is that i)they're just not fast or full featured enough when compared to older Macs in their day (e.g. the 9600) ii) or current PCs iii) or future Macs (based on the 970, Real Soon Now&#8482 . And they're fairly loud (but probably not as load as my PC ).
  • Reply 26 of 37
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    This year, Steve said that hardware announcements don't have to collide with the large trade shows. The hardware will be announced when ready. This started with iBooks/PowerBooks in 2001, and the latest PowerMacs were introduced in August, more than a month after MWNY. February or March is a good guess for the new PMs, but if they're READY, Steve will still gladly announce them in January.

The one SURE thing seems to be the 5-7 month time frame. It's been true for iMacs, iBooks, PowerBooks and PowerMacs so far. So: January is the earliest, March the latest date for new PowerMacs' introduction if we go after that.

Most definitely they will have the same enclosure (same motherboard as well) and include dual PowerPC 7457 processors.

Rumours are that those processors don't exceed 1.3 GHz, which would be bad for Apple. I think 1.2, 1.3 and 1.5 GHz would be 'okay' numbers.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Take into account the fact that if new machines are released, there's always a delay between then and when they're actually available. That means if new machines are shown in March, it might be another month until you could get your hands on them. That's almost six months from right now.

The alternative is getting one today and using it for the next 4-5 months.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by fryke:

<strong>

The one SURE thing seems to be the 5-7 month time frame. It's been true for iMacs, iBooks, PowerBooks and PowerMacs so far.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's been true for iMacs? They haven't been updated since January! Everything else has been in that time frame, but for some reason the iMacs haven't been updated once in almost a year.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

It's been true for iMacs? They haven't been updated since January! Everything else has been in that time frame, but for some reason the iMacs haven't been updated once in almost a year.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe they are still finding a way to inject pattern into the white plastic
  • Reply 30 of 37
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    If Apple is even remotely close to delivering a 970 based mac in March-April, Steve is going to announce it and start taking orders on the most expensive models right away at MWSF.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by fryke:

<strong>Rumours are that those processors don't exceed 1.3 GHz, which would be bad for Apple. I think 1.2, 1.3 and 1.5 GHz would be 'okay' numbers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

...which is why I think that Apple might go quad processor in the high end. The new enclosures could certainly take four 1.3GHz G4s.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>

...which is why I think that Apple might go quad processor in the high end. The new enclosures could certainly take four 1.3GHz G4s.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The problem with going Quad with the current chips is the memory and system bus speed limits. While it might be a good marketing tool, the benchmark sites will hit it hard on actual performance gained.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Yes, but the way I figure it, Moto has to improve its bus/memory support sometime.

Besides, it's not like the two dual 1.25GHz G4's in use now aren't being strangled by a bus that can barely support one of them at a time.

[EDIT: Edited for grammatical stupidity.]

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: Spart ]</p>
  • Reply 34 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>Yes, but the way I figure it, Moto has to improve its bus/memory support sometime.

Besides, it's not like the two dual 1.25GHz G4's in use now aren't being strangled by a bus that can barely support one of them at a time.

[EDIT: Edited for grammatical stupidity.]

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: Spart ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

If I recall right, DDR support is on the roadmap for the end of 03/begining of 04. With Moto's track record for the G4 it might be closer to mid to end of 04 before products using the chip actually ship.

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: @homenow ]</p>
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Now you've gone and ruined my optimism.

I still say quads...what else has Apple got to throw out there? A 50MHz speed bump after half a year will be a friggin' embarrassment.

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: Spart ]</p>
  • Reply 35 of 37
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by @homenow:

<strong>If I recall right, DDR support is on the roadmap for the end of 03/begining of 04.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If that's true, Motorola deserves the best of cutting edge technology award.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kurt:

<strong>

This positive note comes to you from the AI Community Webmaster. No wonder this forum seems so anti-Mac anymore. Even someone with enough interest in being the AI Community Webmaster (and whatever that entails) has such a negative attitude. I need to stop visiting here so much.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, and this is the same guy who thinks you need to spend thousands of dollars on new software if you buy a PPC 970 based machine...