Where does the rest of Apple's line go from here?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

The imac is already at 1ghz

I suspect DCQ meant bringing the bottom iMac, currently at 800 MHz, up to 1GHz, while making the top 1.42 GHz.

In any event, I'd disagree with DCQ unless he's presupposing the availability of the new 7457 G4s from Motorola. Given the way Apple dropped the 1.42GHz from the G4 Power Macs as soon as the G5s were announced, I'm suspecting that Apple doesn't even want to deal with the currently available 1.42 GHz G4s any more -- too little bang for the buck, as well as for the heat and power consumption.

I wouldn't be surprised by a 7457 upgrade of the iMacs, but I'm leaning toward thinking that the iMacs will skip over the 7457 and go directly to the G5, before the PowerBooks go G5 and after the Xserve, because I see the iMacs as needing a boost to their perceived value very soon, a problem the popular PowerBooks don't have.

[Edit: I see DCQ already got to the 800 MHz issue before me. That's what I get for starting a message before lunch, and sending after. ]
  • Reply 42 of 46
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

iMacs - Probably 1.4ghz g4 (maybe dual???)

eMac - 1.2

Would be interesting to see dual processor imacs.

I suspect iMac will get g5 same time as powerbook when the g5 doesn't need 9fans...maybe january?

January, because you'll be only using it outside?
  • Reply 43 of 46
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

The eMac needs to go, and the iMac needs to be cheaper. 15" LCD's have droped in price dramatically since the FP's intro, and I doubt that the speed increases that Apple has made to date on the FP add enough to the "bottom" line to negate the lower component cost of 15" LCD's that Apple is enjoying today over what they were paying 18 months ago when they hit the market. Apple needs to get these computers down to $999, with an .edu price in the neighborhood of $799.

I'm always amazed how easy people are willing to trash the eMac...really the 17"iMac. Apple is making money with them. Schools like them and they have actually been a great deal ... and their R&D costs were probably picked up years ago, meaning everything above manufacturing and distributing costs is pure profit. Just because many of us are so interested in the latest and greatest doesn't mean that the eMac is all of a sudden obsolete. I even see the possibility of a G5 sitting in them. I just dislike white as a computer color....bring back a graphite anniversary edition of the original iMac!

so maybe I'm in a retro mood....
  • Reply 45 of 46
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    The G4 is a great 32bit chip, especially now it can be left to the 'Consumer' range. The 7457 should be able to fix its scaling issues, with Motorola committed to at least improving it.

The 970 being a 64bit chip, hopefully will sit only in the 'PRO' products including the xseve and the Powerbooks - when?, definitely this year.

My take of products that should be announced NOW!

iMacs to go to 7457 1.25 for the 15"and 1.42 for the 17"

eMacs 'see above'

iBooks - move to G4's with 7457's

PowerBooks - SP 970's (1.2) for 12 & 15" DP (1.2) for the 17"
  • Reply 46 of 46
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

My take of products that should be announced NOW!

...PowerBooks - SP 970's (1.2) for 12 & 15" DP (1.2) for the 17"

Mmmmm... crack!