Apple's Benchmarks misleading?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The detractors are already at work.

http://www.haxial.com/spls-soapbox/apple-powermac-G5/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 178
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Meh. Apple used the graphs from the tests they liked, this guy used other graphs from the tests...it's almost as if the author expects truth in advertising.
  • Reply 2 of 178
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    All we have to do is wait and see if dell says anything or find out for ourselves when the g5 comes out.

Tests will always be skewed a little. It happens all the time.

I find it funny that one of this guys reasons that apple is misleading customers is the 2999 price tag whichis 1 dollar less than 3k to trick customes into thinking its not a 3k machine. Funny indeed.
  • Reply 3 of 178
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    And we must remember that not many folks make their living running benchmarks all day.

And that the high Dell scores he mentions are the result of using a tweaked Intel compiler - one designed for high benchmark results, hm?

Quite simply, the real-world speed is going to be the selling pointof these Macs.

Get some ads on TV showing Dad getting home in time for supper or Mom getting to bed before midnight, and the real message will sink in:

Macs let you get on with life.

Cheers
  • Reply 4 of 178
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    I don't like paying $1.499 for a gallon of gas, either. That extra 9/10s of a cent per gallon just burns me up.

Let's riot!
  • Reply 5 of 178
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

To make matters even worse for Apple, Dell sells a faster version of the Dimension 8300 than the one that Apple tested. Apple tested a Dimension 8300 with a 3.0 GHz P4, but Dell also sells a 3.2 GHz P4.

Uhm, didn't Intel just launch that chip yesterday?
  • Reply 6 of 178
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i don't think the benchmarks are really the important stats.

the most important is how much faster they are than what we own now.

i think it's obvious that most of us won't be buying pc's, so to compare them is like subaru comparing a WRX to a bmw M3.

not too relevant! the numbers never tell the whole story!

i don't care about the stats as long as it screams on OSX!

you can't have that on any pc, no matter the speed!
  • Reply 7 of 178
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    IBM's conservative estimates for its own compiler optimized Spec results for a 1.8 GHz PPC970 were 937/SpecInt and 1051/SpecFP.

Scale up those numbers for a 2 GHz part and I think the 970 is competitive, especially in respect to its power dissipation which is still less than your average Xeon, P4, Opteron, etc.
  • Reply 8 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Meh. Apple used the graphs from the tests they liked, this guy used other graphs from the tests...it's almost as if the author expects truth in advertising.

The results from the Apple site are different because Apple is using a compiler called GCC, not the Intel compiler.
  • Reply 9 of 178
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I hate to come in here with my "Facts" and "Logic", but the author of that page does not have a clue.

First, Apple stated that they used GCC 3.3, so as to level the playing field.

Second, and this is important: Using GCC 3.3 does *not* level the playing field.

For one, GCC is highly optimised for the x86 architecture. The author suggests otherwise, which is bullshit. What platform do all those

linux (FSF & GCC) developers use? If you guessed PC, you are correct. Through sheer numbers, there's probably 90% of GCC developers a) on PCs and

b) scrutinizing the code for x86 optimisation. What percent of said developers have PPC 970 workstations? Approximately 0%

Open source code of a magnitude of the (huge) Gnu Compiler Collection is all about numbers. The number of x86 developers is vastly greater than

the number of PPC developers (or Sparc, or MIPS, or Alpha), thus the x86 code is far, far more mature.

Second the P4 architecture has been around for YEARS. Thus, all those GCC developers have had all those years to tweak the relevant optimisation

code

for i686 (or whatever it's called). How long has the 970 portion of GCC 3.3 been around? months?! Thus, it is inevitable that the code

generated for PPC970s is less than perfect, even poor. Don't believe me? The GCC compiled code for all PPCs is reputed to be quite poor,

*especially* when compared to the binaries produced for x86.

Moreover, PPC in general, and 970s in particular are very much dependant on the compiler for speed. Much more so than for x86. Remember

Hannibal's articles on Ars about the 970? Optimising for the 970s scheduler makes or breaks the 970s performance. So how well do you think a 6

month old portion of GCC for a (then) vapourware chip, written by a small handful of IBM developers is going to fare?

The great thing about GCC, however, like all open-source projects with it's momentum, is that with time it will get much better. More eyes see

all bugs, or something like that.

I have a g4-based laptop running no less than three operating systems compiled w/ GCC (3.2), and I can tell you GCC produces poorly optimised

code for the G4, which has been around for years. And yes, I set my compiler flags.

OK, end of rant.

edit: forgive the fugly formatting, I'm posting from w3m (a text based web browser).
  • Reply 10 of 178
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Intel uses their own especially for spec-tests tweakd compilers. Apple used the same compiler for every system. Apple is doing fair benchmarks.. the official spec-scores are quite misleading since every vendor supplies their own benchmarks, using whatever compiler they chose. AND.. they do not account for AltiVec.
  • Reply 11 of 178
    bigwebbigweb Posts: 6member
    the main thing that shows how much bullshit is in these benchmarks is that the dual processors are a lot slower than their single processors siblings in the real world this would show that the benchmarking software is not SMP ooptimised at all if it was would 2 engines be slower than one engine of exactly the same type
  • Reply 12 of 178
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

I hate to come in here with my "Facts" and "Logic", but the author of that page does not have a clue.

Second, and this is important: Using GCC 3.3 does *not* level the playing field.

For one, GCC is highly optimised for the x86 architecture. The author suggests otherwise, which is bullshit. What platform do all those

linux (FSF & GCC) developers use? If you guessed PC, you are correct. Through sheer numbers, there's probably 90% of GCC developers a) on PCs and

b) scrutinizing the code for x86 optimisation. What percent of said developers have PPC 970 workstations? Approximately 0%

Open source code of a magnitude of the (huge) Gnu Compiler Collection is all about numbers. The number of x86 developers is vastly greater than

the number of PPC developers (or Sparc, or MIPS, or Alpha), thus the x86 code is far, far more mature.

Second the P4 architecture has been around for YEARS. Thus, all those GCC developers have had all those years to tweak the relevant optimisation

code

for i686 (or whatever it's called). How long has the 970 portion of GCC 3.3 been around? months?! Thus, it is inevitable that the code

generated for PPC970s is less than perfect, even poor. Don't believe me? The GCC compiled code for all PPCs is reputed to be quite poor,

Moreover, PPC in general, and 970s in particular are very much dependant on the compiler for speed. Much more so than for x86. Remember

Hannibal's articles on Ars about the 970? Optimising for the 970s scheduler makes or breaks the 970s performance. So how well do you think a 6

month old portion of GCC for a (then) vapourware chip, written by a small handful of IBM developers is going to fare?

The great thing about GCC, however, like all open-source projects with it's momentum, is that with time it will get much better. More eyes see

I have a g4-based laptop running no less than three operating systems compiled w/ GCC (3.2), and I can tell you GCC produces poorly optimised

code for the G4, which has been around for years. And yes, I set my compiler flags.

OK, end of rant.

edit: forgive the fugly formatting, I'm posting from w3m (a text based web browser).

thanks for this contribution. I will add that the benchmarks with real applications show a much greater advantage for the G5 (twice as fast). There is PDF files avalaible on the apple site.

In other way isn't it logical that a 58 millions 64 bit chip RISC on SOI 0,13 with the fastest bus on the more advance PC mobo of the world, is the fastest PC ?

I said yes, without any doubt. It was logical that the G4 was behind. It's logical that the G5 rocks especially in the dual configuration (one Ghz bus for each processor compared to one shared 800 mhz bus for the dual Xeon).
  • Reply 13 of 178
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    i love this benchmarking but are these gcc tests optimised for 64bit computing or still 32bit?

btw: so what. it's it more important that it runs osx and, let's say: photoshop screamingly fast.

[very of topic mode on]

do you know what "dell" means in dutch? (well, okay, it's written differently but pronounced the same: del)

it means: slut.

so far for dells credibility

[very of topic mode off]
  • Reply 14 of 178
    Quote:

BIG, HUGE RANT

Thanks. Your comments make me feel a little better. I had forgotten about Intel-compiled SPEC tests.
  • Reply 15 of 178
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Well it's a moot point. On a level playing field ie same software the G5 is faster. But this is not real world, in the real world, both processors would be intergrated into systems with code optimised for that processor.

Real world tests are what really count, so we will have to see what happens with Photoshop and Cinewave, and various Mpeg encoders etc.

there is no doubt the playing field has been leveled for most users.
  • Reply 16 of 178
    geekmeetgeekmeet Posts: 107member
    i went to the "idiots" website and read what he had to say.

he say hes a macuser but had nothing good to say about macusers nor the new powermacs.

this is good!

for a long time apple could not legitamately challenge the wintel boxes.

now it can and the wintel dummies will come for us,watch and see.

yesterday was a glorious day in mac folklore,but i belive its only the beginning.

long live apple!!!!!!

• Reply 17 of 178
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    It is disappointing that Apple *appears* to have cheated somewhat on the spec test. I would expect better from Apple than say, Gateway. Who compared Quake 3 on a Gateway to Quake 3 running in Classic on an iMac.

But if anyone is surprised by this, I've got news for you. Of course Apple's benchmarks are going to be bias somehow. They want to sell Macs, not provide a fair and honest comparison for the consumer.

Barto
  • Reply 18 of 178
    odedhodedh Posts: 53member
    Quote:

code

OK, end of rant.

I'll Drink to that
  • Reply 19 of 178
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

But this is not real world, in the real world, both processors would be intergrated into systems with code optimised for that processor.

Actually, no. In the real world, the system that runs on the P4 is designed to run on anything from a Pentium II 133 MHz. The system that runs on the G5 is designed to run on an original iMac (G3 233 Mhz)

Apple's "cheating" by replacing the malloc library is strange, but probably not significant. The specint tests have long been ridiculed for concentrating on raw number-crunching at the expense of system-related services like memory allocation and paging.

Intel, on the other hand, probably used a special compiler that produces code that will not run on a P3. No vendor in his right mind would do that. Even the latest games are compiled so that they at least work on earlier pentia.

The Mathematica test is pretty convincing. They always try to optimize and they are a good example of real-world performance.

At the end of the day, I'm not interested in Steve's pissing contest with Intel. It's enough for me that we have a computer that performs well enough. The G5 delivers on that requirement.
  • Reply 20 of 178
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The author of the haxial.com report is hippocritical: he blames apple for pushing their own machine's tests, but then compares the G5 with banechmarks of AMD and Intel processors that were done by AMD and Intel, (in that order).