Sigma D9

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

No, no real info. I was just making an assumption due to the nature of the business, shortly after Nikon leap frogs Canon, Canon will probably leap frog Nikon, kinda like the competitive relationship of nVidia and Radeon.

That's what I figured. On the prosumer end, Canon's D30, D60 and 10D have been ahead (arguably far ahead) of the late-comer Nikon D100. However, I expect Nikon to put up a better fight with its successor to the D100, simply for the benefit of better feature- and price-competition.

There's no question in my mind that Foveon's sensor is technologically superior. Unfortunately, however, Canon's and Nikon's DSLR products are far more mature than the Sigma SD9. That's why I would pick Canon or Nikon over Sigma or Olympus for a DSLR right this moment. Nobody knows, however, how the DSLR picture will look later this year, or in early 2004. For all we know, a good entry-level Pentax or Olympuse DSLR could turn the "affordable" DSLR market upside down.

For now, my DSLR wallet remains in the deep-freeze.

Escher
  • Reply 22 of 24
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

There's no question in my mind that Foveon's sensor is technologically superior. Unfortunately, however, Canon's and Nikon's DSLR products are far more mature than the Sigma SD9.

snip

For now, my DSLR wallet remains in the deep-freeze.

Escher

You said it.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I read some rumor-bait recently that speculated the next pro DSLR from Nikon would use a Foveon second-gen chip and cost over $5000. It's probably crap anyway because Nikon is about the only company I can think of that's as secretive as Apple (maybe more so in certain respects), but it scares me to think that we still haven't reached a point with digital SLRs where people consider $5000 to be, shall we say "outrageously overpriced".

I remember thinking when the D1X came out, "in two or three years a camera twice as good will be released for half the price." Perhaps not though.

\
  • Reply 24 of 24
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Talking about the D1X and the D100, funny how the resolution specs for the D100 is better than the D1X, yet is thousands cheaper. A photographer that has worked with both tells me it is firmware in the D1X, somehow it produces a sharper image with less aberrations. Perhaps the mechanical parts are also better.