Yeah, well what should it have looked like?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    With these closeup shots, it looks like the perforations are quite large. Almost to the point where the box itself is semi-transparent enough to see the insides.

The issue with the front ports is a tough design decision. It needs to be there, but aesthetically, it does stick out a bit. But lowering to the bottom portion creates problems for those who leave their towers on the ground.

One thing for sure, Apple designs are always controversial.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    One other thing...does it not seem that this enclosure in it's simplicity is a lot cheaper for Apple to manufacture than the current G4 plastic tower?
  • Reply 23 of 37
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

*pic1* *pic2*

Wow. I mean WOW!!! This is like aluminum lingerie! Yummy!

\

• Reply 24 of 37
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    I could never tell exactly how much you could see through the vent holes, very bad ass.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Yea, I know it's my first post, bu i've been reading those boards for *a few* months.

Do you remember the transparent aluminium alloy posted somewhere in the future hardware forum a while back? I'd want my G5 to have the exact same case built of it.

UPDATE: Here's the thread amd here's the link. Note that it's not aluminium, it't Al2O3.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by joesph mother

The mesh isn't so bad unto itself, it is the graceless rectangular cutout for the Superdrive and the prospect of having FW and USB cords dangling from half way up the machine.

The Superdrive door should have had a little curve to it like the original Quicksilver, and the front ports should be droped to the base of the machine. Both of these are relatively easy to do without obstructing airflow.

The blank mid-section could then be dressed up with an internal speaker or the Apple logo, etc.

The tower does not need a speaker in the middle of all that cramped space that should be devoted to useful things like drive bays. External speakers (even cheap ones) are better anyway and free up the case (oops! it is now an "enclosure") for more important things. At least the firewire and USB plugs made it to the front of the case, even if they are poorly placed. Apple still has much work to be done before they get a fully functional case with space for drives and all the good things that belong on the inside. If the bottom "handles" disappeared the overall height of the case could be maintained and the height incorporated into the case for drive bays and more expansion slots of whatever type.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    To be honest, I'm surprised at how many people dislike this new design (vocal minority?).

IMHO, hands down, this is the coolest tower Apple has ever made. I love the one-tone, muted metallic, functional sexy machine. And the (sand-blasted?) apple logo on the side is perfect.

Well done, Ives. I want one!!!
  • Reply 28 of 37
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    How long before 1337y Mc1337 gets those inards all aglow with LEDS?

I dig it. Very!

Z
  • Reply 29 of 37
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

The one good thing about the G5 design is that my Cube's position as the most beautiful desktop computer ever produced is still unassailed.

No Bruno, MY Cubes are the ones that remain most beautiful~!
  • Reply 30 of 37
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I think you need to recalibrate your settings as to what you consider a "rant". I said, jokingly, "knock it off it's beautiful..." and added a great big laughing smiley to show that I'm being playful.

Then I PRAISE Apple for putting ports on the front and for the overall design.

Rant? Hardly.

I must have interpreted it wrong?

my apologies.

• Reply 31 of 37
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Are those antenna inputs or simple led indicators next to the Airport and Bluetooth logos?

• Reply 32 of 37
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

I must have interpreted it wrong?

my apologies.

No problem
  • Reply 33 of 37
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Are those antenna inputs or simple led indicators next to the Airport and Bluetooth logos?

Antenna inputs.

• Reply 34 of 37
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Thanks Defiant.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Anyone know the internal "code name" for the G5 case? El Capitan 2?

My G5 site:

http://www.homepage.mac.com/dstranathan
  • Reply 36 of 37
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Antenna inputs.

Schweet!
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

The one good thing about the G5 design is that my Cube's position as the most beautiful desktop computer ever produced is still unassailed.

I have a cube, and new imac(17"), and I would say the Imac is nicer.