Best part of the keynote?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    My favourite part was when he said "...and one more thing..." and proceeded to announce a brand new AppleOffice suite to replace Appleworks and Office v. X.

Oh wait....

Quote:

Originally posted by Brad:

Something I was really wondering when I first saw this:

Did I miss something when Steve says "Zero Link" around 1:01:50? What's with the pause and sudden laughter and applause as he pushes his sleeves up?

Favorite part? Steve mentions the Apple.com Store slip-up from last week.

I'm no programmer, but I think linking is a huge part of the workflow in coding a program. The fact that Xcode seems to remove the the need for linking entirely stunned the geeks into silence, and then nervous laughter as they wondered if it was true.

Maybe Programmer can shed some light on this.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Gotta be "Premature Speculation"

That bit about the leak was great. I tell ya, Steve knows these rumor sites are watching...and he knows how to play us!
  • Reply 23 of 40
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I think it was "premature specification". I thought it was funny that he showed the web page and people reaction to it. You know; "it's true", "it's wrong" and "brilliant marketing".
  • Reply 24 of 40
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    i just rewatched it yet again...

i just caught something...

1 million iPods now shipped...

8 weeks ago the number was 700,000

so... first 700,000 in the first year and a half.

next 300,000 in only 8 weeks.

DAMN.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

Yeah, what abot the "Zero Link" thing? I didn't catch it either.

Actually, if you turn up the volume really loud, you can hear someone in the auditorium shout something. I think that's what got the laugh.

I'm pretty sure he says, "Take out debugging!"
  • Reply 26 of 40
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    checking out the G5 performance pages on the site after the keynote, i spotted this.

now that would have been a killer Bake-Off.

~~~

Steve: "and now, please welcome Craig Venter of Genomics... four years into his extended decode of the Human Genome."

Craig: "Hi Steve, Thanks for the head start. As Al Gore can attest, we pressed the start button during the Clinton Administration."

Phil: "Do I get to be the Mac this time?"

Steve: "No. Theo will translate for you... 3 - 2 - 1.

G5 decodes monkeyboy dna in record time. Craig agrees to come back in 4 years.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    The Zero Link comment that broke up the crowd was this:

SJ:It takes link time out of the equation. Boom. Gone. Zero Link.

Guy in the Crowd: Take out Debugging!

Love the Panther v. Longhorn shot at M$.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by CodeWarrior

Aha! Thank you.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

checking out the G5 performance pages on the site after the keynote, i spotted this.

now that would have been a killer Bake-Off.

~~~

Steve: "and now, please welcome Craig Venter of Genomics... four years into his extended decode of the Human Genome."

Craig: "Hi Steve, Thanks for the head start. As Al Gore can attest, we pressed the start button during the Clinton Administration."

Phil: "Do I get to be the Mac this time?"

Steve: "No. Theo will translate for you... 3 - 2 - 1.

G5 decodes monkeyboy dna in record time. Craig agrees to come back in 4 years.

I was wondering about this very aspect today at work. My principal investigator loves Macs (has his own 12" PowerBook which he calls his "precious jewel" -- an Italian guy, gotta love 'em); they're all we have on our side of the lab thank goodness. The sequencers on the other side are neither Windows nor Mac, though. I really don't know what they are to tell the truth (prolly some proprietary system). But yeah, this would have been an impactful demonstration.

Having the G5 around in the lab to help us design primers and perhaps even simulate some PCRs (polymerase chain reaction; technique we and every other lab that's involved in genetics uses to amplify a particular sequence of DNA) would be incredible.

The sad thing is, purchases just became all but impossible -- our institution is at the end of its fiscal year. Hopefully I might be able to convince him to buy one with a P.O. once the new budget opens.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    My favorites;

-Premature Specification

-Phil: "Ahhhhh, do I have to be the PC again...?"

-Steve: "Actually we have a great relationship with our friends at Microsoft" ... Laughter

-The part in the iChat AV demo when he's talking to the French guy, you can tell at one point Steve couldn't make out a damn word "Righhhhttt... .."

-"...And, the PC is done." Laughter mixed with clapping
  • Reply 31 of 40
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Originally posted by Codewarrior:

Quote:

The Zero Link comment that broke up the crowd was this:

Thanks Codewarrior!

I guess my volume wasn't loud enough. I didn't hear the shout and assumed they were reacting to Steve.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Does anyone know why people laughed when he used the AppleScript to open all of those programs for demoing Expose? Specifically, the laughter came as Mail.app [the first program] was opened ....... ?????

one of my fav. parts was :

When he says "OH NO!" [& puts his hands on his head] when he mentioned the G5 had 9 fans! [it's funny on the video, not really in text]

• Reply 33 of 40
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Does anyone know why people laughed when he used the AppleScript to open all of those programs for demoing Expose? Specifically, the laughter came as Mail.app [the first program] was opened ....... ?????

• Reply 34 of 40
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Hands down, it was the Panther stuff.

The cat was let out of the bag, so to speak, regarding the G5, thanks to that Thursday night web store screw-up from Apple. Plus, the expense of it (up $400-500 on the entry level) might've taken the shine off it a bit for many.

But the Panther stuff (which I kinda roll iChat A/V and iSight in with because the new iChat is, technically, one of the features of the new OS) was great. I've gone back and watched that part of the keynote 2 or 3 times.

The fact that the two things I've wanted Apple and OS X to address for nearly two years now (easy, system-level faxing and font management) seem to be addressed in the upcoming version probably has a LITTLE to do with it...

G5, G-schmive...yeah it's cool and all, but the people it TRULY appeals to and who truly NEED it (and who will be buying it in great numbers) represents but a small-medium-ish part of the Mac-user pie. As I said days before the keynote, it's not going to mean anything to the Switcher, newbie, hobbyist, consumer or soccer mom user. Just a number and a new, funky-looking tower. They'll still want an iMac or iBook or whatever. And that's great.

• Reply 35 of 40
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

-Phil: "Ahhhhh, do I have to be the PC again...?"

That's true. I'm surprised at how witty this Phil actually is. I kind of had a little dislike for him, but after this keynote, that's passé. The guy is an excellent public person, and I won't mind to see more of him.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Phil is always so "on" and enthusiastic...it's hard not to kinda like the guy. We rag on him sometimes, but I think I'd rather sit next to him on a long plane ride than Steve.

He seems to like to talk and gush about the platform, you could probably buy him some drinks and learn everything Apple has planned until 2006!

BTW, those videos that Apple shows when they launch a new product (PowerBook, G5, iPod, LCD iMac, etc.) all follow the same formula, over and over: Schiller bursting at the seams with cheerleader-esque enthusiasm and wide-eyed joy, Ive gesturing wildly and talking all deep about his latest "challenge" and saying words like "aluminum" really funny, 2 or 3 well-known people from the entertainment industry cooing over the new gear and talking about how their life is now going to be easier and cooler, some "bright white room" beauty footage, a song or two that seems to tie in with the whole theme/vibe, etc.

Which, of course, makes is TOTALLY ripe for a massive, skewering parody. Anyone thought of this? I have some good ideas...

• Reply 37 of 40
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I've seen about half and hour of it, but I'm downloading the rest on my PowerBook this afternoon.

Quote:

The fact that Xcode seems to remove the the need for linking entirely stunned the geeks into silence, and then nervous laughter as they wondered if it was true.

Zero linking? That would be quite useful for me (as the application I work on takes several minutes to compile and link). I'll be investigating this one. Although distrubuted builders already exist, I'd expect XCode's to have a a bit more polish and a few more tricks up its sleeve (eg Rendevous). Anyone know if it can distribute cross platform?

Why does the 1.6 do better than the 1.8 in BLAST?

Quote:

G5 decodes monkeyboy dna in record time.

What, the DNA of Steve Ballmer of Microsoft?
  • Reply 38 of 40
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    The Longhorn thing definitely had me laughing - "this is what they're up to" with the lame-o western music... just hilarious.

I also laughed at Al Gore. As a politics-hating Canadian, I have seen him speak maybe twice ever. If a politican hits the TV, I'm gone.

When he first started speaking, I thought to myself "This guy sounds just like Darrel Hammond on Saturday Night Live!"

Damn that guy does a good Al Gore, after seeing this... heh heh
  • Reply 39 of 40
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I LOVED the Logic bake off. The combination of the music and the awe of the crowd made it very enjoyable to watch.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Why does the 1.6 do better than the 1.8 in BLAST?

Probably a mislabeled graph. Note that this software does not seem to be multiprocessor aware.

----

There was a lot to like. The longhorn video was funny. The Logic bakeoff was funny. Phil Schiller video conferencing from the library was funny. Expose was very impressive. Fast user switching was impressive. The improved developer tools were impressive. I'm kind of out of that area but would really have loved that stuff 15 years ago.

I think the best part was using iChat rather effortlessly to connect locally, then to Paris, then to LA. Sure, it could have been done before but that is different. It is like saying NASA could put a man on the moon versus buying a ticket for a visit to the moon for the weekend because you are bored. It is not just iSight and iChat but all the stuff behind them - GHz CPUs, cheap megabytes of memory, a great OS, broadband connections around the world.