Help me tell my Pismo its not getting Panther or any other upgrades

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    After this thread I now know why I spend so little time at AI now...
  • Reply 22 of 40
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

After this thread I now know why I spend so little time at AI now...

You are already corrupted, my master of total posts.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Well my Powerbook G4@500 is going to be hating 10.3 with it's little 8 megs of vram, but oh well. It is FAR too nice in too many other ways to consider retirement. Likewise my desktop Mac is looking at inexpensive G4 upgrades since I don't make a living with my machines and don't have $2-3000 burning a hole in my pocket.

My desktop Mac has a gig of SDR-RAM and a Geforce2mx card that I flashed and tossed into it. I see a whole slew of 1.25 ghz G4 sitting right at around $500 right now and I figure that might drop a bit more in a month or so. $400 will be the price point that gets one bought and keeps my 1999 (yep it is already that old) G4 tower around for another couple years.

Nick
  • Reply 24 of 40
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Don't get me wrong, trumptman. I love my Pismo. It's been great.

I think next time though, it'll be a desktop. I bought my laptop because I needed it for school at the time. I needed some portabliity. I really don't anymore. So, I'm thinking of keeping my Pismo and eventually getting a G5 (probably next year...depending on AAPL's price, which is my computer fund). Don't tell my Pismo, but if I get a PowerBook, he may find himself on ebay.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    How do I tell my iBook about,,,, well,, the G5 dual... He just had a brain surgery not too long ago and I was worried about him. I think I should give him time before a new G5 sister comes along. I think he knew I went to the apple store to watch the keynote. I came home that day and he would not even look at me.

Please keep us in your prayers....

Fellowship
  • Reply 26 of 40
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Don't get me wrong, trumptman. I love my Pismo. It's been great.

I think next time though, it'll be a desktop. I bought my laptop because I needed it for school at the time. I needed some portabliity. I really don't anymore. So, I'm thinking of keeping my Pismo and eventually getting a G5 (probably next year...depending on AAPL's price, which is my computer fund). Don't tell my Pismo, but if I get a PowerBook, he may find himself on ebay.

Ah well once you've had bla*.... I mean wireless... you never go back.

Nick
  • Reply 27 of 40
    scotioscotio Posts: 40member
    I just felt the need to say, 'Well, Thank you very much!!' in my most condescending voice.

All this talk about Ti envy and the like, made me just trade in my pretty lil' 12" bundle of joy. I swapped her actually, and now caressingly touch type upon my new 800mhz Ti book.

I should have suspected that we were on shaky ground, in public, even while my love hung upon my every word, I found myself eyeing those Ti's every move.

Waiting with anticipation for that next sultry glare from her LCD; tripping over my own breath, in almost sensual delight as the warmth from her naked titanium glory made my skin tingle as though on fire.

So she is gone, and all I am left with (well, aside from my pretty new Ti) are these words that I impart to you all...although it may hurt us, and although it may mean leaving the better part of ourselves behind; follow your hearts, regardless of the cost. The price of our failure to do so might be greater that we will ever know.

R.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I, for one, can't WAIT to get rid of this LCD iMac. You know, when I first bought it, I thought it was the cat's meow in every way. The screen, arm, cute round base, etc. Chicks dug it, guys dug it, friends, family, etc.

But in a year-and-a-half I've not developed any sort of "oooh, my Mac..." connection to it, like I did with my tangerine DV. I actually MISS my orange iMac. It had personality and was, for me, just perfect.

This G4 iMac is just a little too sterile and "Star Trek" for me, or something. Can't put my finger on it, but when I finally get it sold and am packing it up, it won't affect me in the least.

And I just find that really odd.

• Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

Beloved Blackbird (Pismo with all the VST extras) and two Cubes. Now what do I do? A 22" Cinema display that begs for some way to link to a new homebase?

WTF? Another Blackbird? Here that Blackie? You have a twin!

After 3 years, she still handles everything with grace. Friend of mine got a Ti and while helping to set it up, she kept commenting on how "sexy" mine was. I was so proud!
  • Reply 30 of 40
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

This G4 iMac is just a little too sterile and "Star Trek" for me, or something. Can't put my finger on it...

Paint it orange. You'll feel better then.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    do you have a kid to give her too...i'm sure if u explain that his new job is to serve them and keep them happy she will love it

if not...i'll give her a loving home with my little sister...i'd even pay overnight shipping so he isn't lonely long

edit i feel ur pain if eel bad for my IIGS
  • Reply 32 of 40
    At least you still have a pismo to sell! My beloved Lombard of nearly 4 years was stolen from my house. We went through so much together (including some chip on the motherboard melting (and then the same thing a year later), dead keyboard and the floppy hinge syndrome). And Apple must have loved it too because they never charged me a cent for repairs...

Ah well, I'll just have to get by with a g5 powerbook when released...

• Reply 33 of 40
    nx7oenx7oe Posts: 198member
    Pizmo ROCKS!!!!!!

Literally.

and who says that he can't burn dvd's?

My pizmo has 640 mb of ram and it feels fast enough for me.

Hopefully, in four years i will be able to get the G6 powerbook.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macjamrock

WTF? Another Blackbird? Here that Blackie? You have a twin!

After 3 years, she still handles everything with grace. Friend of mine got a Ti and while helping to set it up, she kept commenting on how "sexy" mine was. I was so proud!

Absolutely. "Blackbird" it has been since the moment I opened the box. Still have the box! I've added all the legit stuff along the way and have max memory. Sent it back to Apple via TEKSERV when I lost two pixels the first year and it came back 100% flawless and CLEAN, c lean. I've never let it get grubby again. Always glad I maxed out the initial HD and speed (that is my advice to all PB purchasers).

btw macjamrock, are you running OS X.2.something or other, or are you still on 9.something? I've got my Cubes on X, and I've played with X on a Japanese iBook 500, but I have just kept plowing along in 9.1 as I did not want to spring for another copy of MS Office OSX.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

Absolutely. "Blackbird" it has been since the moment I opened the box. Still have the box! I've added all the legit stuff along the way and have max memory. Sent it back to Apple via TEKSERV when I lost two pixels the first year and it came back 100% flawless and CLEAN, c lean. I've never let it get grubby again. Always glad I maxed out the initial HD and speed (that is my advice to all PB purchasers).

btw macjamrock, are you running OS X.2.something or other, or are you still on 9.something? I've got my Cubes on X, and I've played with X on a Japanese iBook 500, but I have just kept plowing along in 9.1 as I did not want to spring for another copy of MS Office OSX.

Running 10.2.6, flawlessly (if a little slow under heavy workload). I almost never shut her down, just sleep between work and home. The 1Gig RAM really made a big difference to the performance. Having played around with the TiBook I mentioned before, I don't feel compelled to upgrade (yet!)
  • Reply 36 of 40
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Oh please SDW2001 don´t be such a cry baby. Just pull the plug on her...

I had a Pismo myself and loved it. When everybody got the Ti itch I still considered it far better. But then one day the screen died on me and I got myself a iBook (800, combo). Its was about half price of the Pismo, twice as fast AND just as good looking.

When your loved ones becomes brain dead its better to let them slip into the never ending sleep than prolong their pain.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    nixinixi Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

But in a year-and-a-half I've not developed any sort of "oooh, my Mac..." connection to it, like I did with my tangerine DV

Tangerine! Yum!?
  • Reply 38 of 40
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

I don't have the heart...I can't do it.

\

Put her down like the horse she is. A quick bullet to the brain does the job nicely and beats having her lingering around, making the place stink of death and burnt motherboard.

Caution: cackling like a crazed axe-murderer while you do this might arouse suspicion. Instead, I suggest making wild accusations about her having an affair with a Vaio user and messing with your mind. That will ease everyone's concerns...

-DCQ, live from Arkham Asylum...
  • Reply 39 of 40
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

Put her down like the horse she is. A quick bullet to the brain does the job nicely and beats having her lingering around, making the place stink of death and burnt motherboard.

Caution: cackling like a crazed axe-murderer while you do this might arouse suspicion. Instead, I suggest making wild accusations about her having an affair with a Vaio user and messing with your mind. That will ease everyone's concerns...

-DCQ, live from Arkham Asylum...

huh...thats odd i would definatly cackle...then again i am 800yrds away with my sniper rifle so they can't hear me

i'd first turn off the microphone if its on so she can't hear you...then after you put her to sleep for the night tell her u want to "clean her battery" you remove it and never look back...she will be frozen in time with no pain and no knowledge you moved on

--or--

well i gues u could do something nice with her then, after you put her out of use either sell her (after resetting her pram so she doesn't remember anything) or give her to somone who would enjoy her
  • Reply 40 of 40
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Running 10.2.6, flawlessly (if a little slow under heavy workload). I almost never shut her down, just sleep between work and home. The 1Gig RAM really made a big difference to the performance. Having played around with the TiBook I mentioned before, I don't feel compelled to upgrade (yet!)

Macjamrock. Where did you get the 1GB RAM? I thought 512MB was max on the Pismos. I upgraded from 256. Shows what I know!