Panther removed Tabbed Panes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Take a look at the images from MacBidouille:

Notice that they have removed the Tabs to select new panes, and replaced them with a "list of buttons."

This seems strange as the Tab is a good, clean metaphor in my opinion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hmmm... weird. yeah, tabs made sense in my book. also, when instructing someone (either remotely or in person), i could say "click on the ______ tab..." and the user would understand. now it gets a bit trickier.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It is maybe hard to describe, but I always felt that Aqua tabs were ugly. sure, that's shallow, and not a real rationale for the change, but it's true. I imagie that windows and inspectors like Stone's Create will look wierd with this new config. It's cleaner IMO, but as you said, hard to explain.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    it just looks like a different type of tab
  • Reply 4 of 63
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I always hated tabs ... seems they always took up too much realistate and weren't very "clean" looking.

I agree though with the comments ... they should probably be a differents shape/size then the contextual menues.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It is a tab, works the same way. It's just lost the literal "tab" look like with real manila folders. So it's harder to describe without that literal visual connection, at least the first time. Otherwise, I like the look.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I actually like the new tab look...and I like the new Aqua look...and the embedded red/amber/green widgets...

Dunno why...maybe I'm suffering from that RDF-syndrome. But I doubt it.

And Exposé is finally the solution to tabs I was looking for. Gawd I hated tabbed-browsing et al.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    y'know, now that i look at it, i realize how befuddling the network preference pane is getting. anyone else feel the same? i mean, i know what's going on, but imagine a total newbie user, and trying to explain the difference between "location" and then "show" (which is showing "airport") and then the tabbed buttons (which are now, uh, hmmm) that also show things like "airport," etc.

i didn't like the look of tabs in earlier versions either, but this seems to not be a good solution. i thought apple said buttons were to "do things" whereas these just change stages (or whatever you want to call 'em). tabs were the correct metaphor for that.

but i'm tired, and maybe i'll love it in the morning (if nothing else, i had better get used to it, i guess).
  • Reply 8 of 63
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

It is a tab, works the same way. It's just lost the literal "tab" look like with real manila folders. So it's harder to describe without that literal visual connection, at least the first time. Otherwise, I like the look.

Correct, I didn't mean to imply that they removed the functionality. They changed the look. To me, a button does not convey changing a pane. A button is typically used to cause an action (typically closing a dialog, submitting a form, etc.)
  • Reply 9 of 63
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    I would agree that the "new Tabs" are not visually distinct enough from buttons, and add to interface confusion. The old tabs had a more distinctive geometry, but still looked fairly "button-ish".

Perhaps a tabbed-panel widget could be created that gave a more 3-diminsional view, i.e. actually looked like several sheets stacked up on top of one another. That might convey more of the "hey, there's other stuff under here" impression.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfryer

I would agree that the "new Tabs" are not visually distinct enough from buttons, and add to interface confusion. The old tabs had a more distinctive geometry, but still looked fairly "button-ish".

Perhaps a tabbed-panel widget could be created that gave a more 3-diminsional view, i.e. actually looked like several sheets stacked up on top of one another. That might convey more of the "hey, there's other stuff under here" impression.

Awww who cares what the 'convey'. People actually like 'tabbed-browsing' for god's sake...common sense exits stage right.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Two thumbs up!
  • Reply 12 of 63
    i think removing tabs from the UI is a horrible idea. Apple has totally ruined the UI in that aspect. tabs need to be there because they're tabs. they stand out, but not too much to be a distraction. the new "tabs" resemble buttons too much

Apple is making a lot of changes just for the sake of making changes, they are completely unnecessary
  • Reply 13 of 63
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Hm, wonder what the 'Assist Me' button does?

Screed
  • Reply 14 of 63
    as a side note, I like how the selected preference pane in now highlighted in the tool bar. This is something I have been wanting apple to put in.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shatteringglass

i think removing tabs from the UI is a horrible idea.

Think about it this way. Apple is replacing tabs with a different concept. These buttons control what you see in a window at a time. Sorta like the toolbar buttons in preference panels. You want to see Airport settings? Click this button. You want to see TCP/IP settings? Click this button.

It's making tabs more like buttons, but I don't see this as a bad thing. These arn't documents after all, these are settings.

Barto
  • Reply 16 of 63
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Think about it this way. Apple is replacing tabs with a different concept. These buttons control what you see in a window at a time. Sorta like the toolbar buttons in preference panels. You want to see Airport settings? Click this button. You want to see TCP/IP settings? Click this button.

It's making tabs more like buttons, but I don't see this as a bad thing. These arn't documents after all, these are settings.

Barto

I think the tabs metaphor is worth retaining. I will have that nanosecond of doubt before clicking a button. Why? Because these are not settings, they represent different pages within the same WINDOW.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Hmmm. I'm not sure. They, probably, shouldn't look like 'Apply' and 'Save' buttons. You know what I mean. From the aesthetic point of view I like it. But the way traditional tabs look seems more intuitive. They resemble several layers of sheets with different controls, and by clicking a tab you 'select' the layer, bringing it to the front. Here, on the other hand, a user may get confused because, in general, buttons represent actions, while tabs looking like buttons don't. You don't actually do anything (like change, save, revert, apply) by clicking a tab.
    Quote:

It's making tabs more like buttons, but I don't see this as a bad thing. These aren't documents after all, these are settings.

You are right. But some settings are not undoable. At least, in many popular apps.

I'm just not sure. Maybe tabs should be more easily distinguished from regular buttons.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Hm, wonder what the 'Assist Me' button does?

Screed

a wizard or assistant of some sort im sure...
  • Reply 19 of 63
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    What is this if it's not a modal dialog selector ? Bad, bad bad !

Looks like someone took the Apple HIG and shot it in the head.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Honestly, it's a tough call. At first, I saw the screenshots and balked, but after scrolling up and looking at them again, they do 'work', and they take up less screen real estate.

I'm neutral.