Would you pay $4500 for a quad 2GHz G5?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
$1500 more than a dual 2 GHz G5. Same base specs as the current dual 2GHz.

Two more 2 GHz G5's would cost an extra $600-800.

The remaining $900-$700 would be margin that goes to recoup the development costs for making a 4 way Mobo. This would be a very lucrative machine for Apple.

Now mind you, I don't think that Apple will do this, though it would be cool. It would be cool because for one thing, the consumer (non server) licenses of Windows only go up to two CPUs. If you want a quad CPU license then you are have to shell out the real $$ for the server OS license. Apple could make a true ultimate Pro machine that Windows could not compete with simply because of MS license fees. Another reason would be that Apple could leverage the mobo in XServes, making for a moster XServe number cruncher.

Of course, the fact that it would radiate near 400W of heat would be a scary thing... it does open up quite a few after market possibilities (like G5 bread toasters). Time to wait for a die shrink.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I wouldn't. I don't need that kind of power. I think people who do should look into a rack solution.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I was going to say "no" but changed my mind. If I needed this power for work I'd do it. Better yet if I could write it off. Quad Procs would be beyond "screaming". I think alot of people would poney up.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    isegwayisegway Posts: 133member
    How much power are we talking about here? What could a quad 2 ghz handle?

Is it possible to make a quad with this system? And would that price be realistic?

I would like the range of the computer to be bigger. I want my computer to be able to incorperate every type of eletronic sytem imaginable and be able to do them all at once.

So if a quad would be needed to accomplish that, yes I would pay that price.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If I needed one, $4500 would be a steal! But guess what! I don't !
  • Reply 5 of 36
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    If my work required that kind of power then $4500 seems cheap for a 4 CPU 64 bit workstation. What's a 4 way sparc run now?
  • Reply 6 of 36
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    $3999 and I'm in

$4999 for Octo's
  • Reply 7 of 36
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I couldn't afford it, but like someone said, if I could write it off as a business expense, I'd do it in an heartbeat!! And it is the business people that Apple needs to win over. It is the company that needs power, but may be more flexibility than an xServe provides.

With all of the pre-emptive compiling and threading that is being slowly added to the OS, I can see alot of creative houses getting a few quads for designers that are basically workstations that can on-the-fly check each other's status for distributed computing. That could be very compelling versus having everyone linked to one xServe array. What you lose in stability and ease of management, you gain in flexibility and moving machines around as needed.

So heck yeah, I think Apple should build Quads and price them accordingly and convince companies like Pixar (should be easy) and Weta and others that Apple is into workstation quality for the long-haul (thanks to Big Blue in the background) and worth Switching.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    This would be $4500 for the same base specs as the current G5. No super high end video card. Not enough Ram. Probably not enough hard drive for what users would want to do with it. The final cost of a machine like this with 2-4GB of Ram would be pretty high.

Basically, you are paying $1500 for two more CPU's and a new motherboard. Apple's margins would be somewhere around 35% which is very high.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Producer

$3999 and I'm in

$4999 for Octo's

at $3999, you and most everyone else would be in.

Octo G5's?! 800 watts of heat coming out the back!? If we see any future machines with the codename "towering inferno", then we know what Apple is up to.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

If my work required that kind of power then $4500 seems cheap for a 4 CPU 64 bit workstation. What's a 4 way sparc run now?

Alot more than $4500, but it is a dedicated server machine, so the hardware is far superior to desktop level hardware. You can't really compare server prices to desktop prices (they are after all in very different markets). Servers must be much more reliable than desktops and so their components are much more expensive. $4500 would basically be an uber desktop.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I agree with the base price of US$3,999.00 for a quad G5 box...

But I could see it coming out around US$9,999.00 when I am done with my BTO version:

Quad 2.0GHz G5 64bit CPUs

Quad 1GHz FSBs

32GB DDR SDRAM (16 @ 2GB PC3200 DIMMs)

SuperDrive

S-ATA hardware RAID controller built-in to main logic board

Four (4) Serial ATA 150 HDDs (250GB/7,200rpm/8MB cache)

nVidia QuadroFX2000 AGP Pro 8x OpenGL card (400MHz RAMDAC/128MB DDR2 SGRAM/ADC port)

And that is without a monitor!

But I won't buy ANY new PowerMac G5 until Apple releases new monitors to match the Al housing...

Hopefully something in a 30" model...!

Quad G5, 30" ACD, Maya & Shake...

Mmm...

Looks like I need about US$25,000.00!!!

;^p
  • Reply 12 of 36
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Wouldn't an updated Xserve solve this problem? And if Apple can push distributed computing, like with their new compiler, isn't it inevitable that even a lowly iMac will be all that is necessary while adding more and newer Xserves will add more power to systems?

I know not all processes can be distributed, and just having the cheapest 64-bit 4-way system would be cool, but it might be too costly for Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I just put down a 15% deposit for a dual 2GHz G5 -- and that's overkill for what I really need. Although I think a quad 2 GHz would be an amazing machine, and not a bad buy at US $4500, my "gotta have it!" urge for fast Macs does have some limits, and I think I could manage to be happy with my dual even knowing that a quad G5 was out there.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Looks like I need about US$25,000.00!!!

Yes, that is something of the problem. $4500 is a cheap box, but it would require significant modifications to become usable. Of course, when you are spending thousands of dollars on the software, what is a couple of thousand more for better hardware. I am constantly amazed at the users of the software product I work on who spend 20,000 for a copy of our software and then run it without enough RAM. What are they thinking? Then again, if you could spend an extra $1500 and get almost double the speed, then some users would want it.

The poll question was written to be intentionally misleading (in the marketing sense)- anyone who has Quad G5's would want at least two or four GB of RAM. $4500 is the price for a machine that has too much CPU horsepower and not enough HDD space. $4500 is the starting price and it would only get much more expensive.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    A long time ago, when I was working my way through college, I took a job selling computers at a mail order catalong company called Club Mac. Perhaps some of you have heard of them. I worked on the weekends and telneted into my school computers to compile C++ and Ada code (Go Unix!).

This was back in the day of the 603 and 604 CPUs. G3's were unheard of. The Mac OS didn't do real multitasking. Most importantly, there were clones who were willing to do some strange things with Macs. In particular was Daystar who made the Genesis MP system. The machine had quad 604 CPU's. Now at Club Mac, we sold quite a few machines to people who were getting into video editing. These people had money, and it was very common for them to pay $7,000 for a high end machine. Because the Quicktime libraries were MP aware (well, sorta MP aware), Quicktime API calls were pretty quick (e.g. compressing/decompressing video). Now the rest of the OS was mostly MP braindead (except for Quickdraw 3D and probably some other stuff that nobody cared about). Despite the complete lack of useful MP support in the OS, people would buy dual CPU machines from Apple. People were extremely interested in the quad MP machines from daystar, but didn't want to buy them for several reasons:

They were too expensive. They were something like 7 grand.

FUD about Daystar. How long were these people going to be around? (not too long it turned out)

"I use quicktime alot, but not THAT much"- the fact that the OS didn't support multiple CPUs as it should have.

Well, if Apple came out with a quad machine, the FUD angle would not be present. Given OS X, a Mac now has the ability to really use more than one CPU. Finally, Apple won't have to stake the future of the company on the sales of high end powerMacs. I think that Apple could sell a quad G5 and that there is a market for it. Heck, there was a market years ago when all you could use it for was video editing (btw, that market hasn't shrunk). I think that it is time for Apple to let the PC world that when it comes to the desktop market, that it is not messing around. I think that it is time for Quad CPU's. Daystar showed that there were people who were darned interested in having a comparatively ridiculous level of CPU power, but that they didn't want to shell out a ridiculous ammount of money. People wanted quads, but generally settled for dual Apple machines out of a fear of Daystar. Apple should make a desktop machine that simply can't be competed with.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Octo G5's?! 800 watts of heat coming out the back!? If we see any future machines with the codename "towering inferno", then we know what Apple is up to.

I could use this to heat my room in winter! (Winter up here means -30°C) Would also be pretty costly with two 21" Electron blue IV sucking almost as much power as my microwave oven (1 500 W). The energy price being 5.88¢(CAD)/KW.H here means almost 6 cents an hour, thus 1.41$ a day(24h) and 515$ a year(supposing it works 24/24 7/7 to do rendering or scientific stuff)!
  • Reply 17 of 36
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Do you think IBM can get the 970 to a dual core chip

when they get it down to .09 micron? If they could,

they could squeeze in two of those chips for a kick-ass

combined 12ghz of power!

• Reply 18 of 36
    The only question I have for Apple is "Why not?"

And I don't buy in to the "we don't want not another Cube failure" argument, because I don't believe the Cube was a failure. I bet given the number they sold and the R&D they put in them, they probably broke close to even. That isn't a failure. Even if Quads only broke even, they would have the free publicity for having the only Quads in the prosumer market and they would have bragging rights to the REAL fastest computer on the market and Dell wouldn't have alot to say about it.

And in my mind distributed computing doesn't favor a rack of xServes running iMacs or 10 quad machines over a Rendesvous-ed network. Both could work fine depending upon the company's needs.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

Do you think IBM can get the 970 to a dual core chip

when they get it down to .09 micron? If they could,

they could squeeze in two of those chips for a kick-ass

combined 12ghz of power!

THAT is nice to think about.

Does anyone know if dealing with 4 chips with a point-to-point controler geometrically more difficult to design or is it just "twice" as more complex. The controler and the heat seem to be the only issues I see as needing extra R&D.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Besides anything else, four processors will *never* go in that case.