Cheap LCD Display....to go with my G5 (hopefully)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i completely understand, and i am not really a hard core programmer, though i do definatly want to get into it more

when i said do you think that monitor looks good i was talking strictly about the specs

granted we only have a 933MHz g4 at my work, when working with even only ~200MB psd files it is SLLOOOWWWW

i do try to be rounded in the computer field so i figure with programing it would also be useful to get into 3d design as well (though probably not hardcore as i wouldn't have the time with school work still)

i'm glad ur playing devil's ad. but i am not sure why you disagree (at least i think you do) about the 1.6/1.8's being outdated so quickly as opposed to the dualie. Lasting me my senior year and hopefully through college it would be nice to have the best machine for that
  • Reply 22 of 29
    I agree with that, and were I in your Reeboks, I'd save up a couple hundred bucks more and get an LCD that you really want. I cannot recommend the Silicon Graphics 1600SW highly enough

If I were buying a G5, I'd get the 2GHz dual. I'm due for a machine upgrade, and I'd buy in August except that I don't buy rev a hardware, and I want to see where the design goes for the rev b and c... and I'm holding out for a display rev too... the current apple displays are severely lacking in terms of positioning the screen tilt angle.

If you're happy with that LCD, then go for it. The tone of the thread just seems to be that you're settling for an LCD you don't want... and I say, save up for another 2 or 3 months and get the one you do want.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

I agree with that, and were I in your Reeboks, I'd save up a couple hundred bucks more and get an LCD that you really want. I cannot recommend the Silicon Graphics 1600SW highly enough

If I were buying a G5, I'd get the 2GHz dual. I'm due for a machine upgrade, and I'd buy in August except that I don't buy rev a hardware, and I want to see where the design goes for the rev b and c... and I'm holding out for a display rev too... the current apple displays are severely lacking in terms of positioning the screen tilt angle.

If you're happy with that LCD, then go for it. The tone of the thread just seems to be that you're settling for an LCD you don't want... and I say, save up for another 2 or 3 months and get the one you do want.

well perhaps i will do that...i've found very nice displays in my search for cheaper displays

i guess i'll probably use my CRT for a while until I can afford an LCD (although spec wise i think that vison one i showed looks exceptional...but like u said quality wise leaves one guessing). I am not sure how much I will be making after october because i start school aug 25 and then i just do afterschool work for these people...perhaps its time i apply for a job at staples haha

thanks...perhaps i will just wait a bit and buy a nicer display to go with my g5, i guess my next problem is that its only 512mb ram *sigh*
  • Reply 24 of 29
    student developer program? Are you in it? May want to do that...
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

student developer program? Are you in it? May want to do that...

arg...i would like to but how much does this cost?

edit: nm i see its $99 which i could and would like to do but it seems its for >=18yrs of age and for college enrolled students...i'm going into 12th grade

man no respect cuz i'm young\

i submitted a message to ADC people telling them about my problem so we'll see how it goes..i am guessing i get sscrewed cuz i am nto an 'adult yet'
  • Reply 26 of 29
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

granted we only have a 933MHz g4 at my work, when working with even only ~200MB psd files it is SLLOOOWWWW

If you do graphics work then I cannot recommend as large a display as you can afford, either CRT or LCD. Most of your productivity gains from the G5 will be lost by using a small screen. Most productive $$$ spent, after the CPU, are on RAM and display and fast storage (if you do video or are a real PS print ho). And in many cases spending less on the CPU and getting more RAM and a bigger display will get you more work done.

Even the base 1.6GHZ G5 will be at the very least twice as fast as the G4 you use at work.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

If you do graphics work then I cannot recommend as large a display as you can afford, either CRT or LCD. Most of your productivity gains from the G5 will be lost by using a small screen. Most productive $$$ spent, after the CPU, are on RAM and display and fast storage (if you do video or are a real PS print ho). And in many cases spending less on the CPU and getting more RAM and a bigger display will get you more work done.

Even the base 1.6GHZ G5 will be at the very least twice as fast as the G4 you use at work.

well by going with the dualie i leave myself room to expand up to 8gb, and i have 160gb of fast storage (well only 7200 but its serial ata so that will help it)...like i said realier 512mb ram is kinda skimping but it can easily be increased in the future

as for a large display since i normally work in small areas at a time (retouching photographs and making prints is what i do for my job)

the way i see it is taht the dualie gives me the longest life for my money while giving me room to expand...i have a CRT 17" that will run at 1280x1024 so i can use that for a little but i'll have to be on my floor until i can afford a LCD so i can fit everythign on my desk
  • Reply 28 of 29
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

arg...i would like to but how much does this cost?

edit: nm i see its $99 which i could and would like to do but it seems its for >=18yrs of age and for college enrolled students...i'm going into 12th grade

man no respect cuz i'm young\

i submitted a message to ADC people telling them about my problem so we'll see how it goes..i am guessing i get sscrewed cuz i am nto an 'adult yet'

Be sure to get the student discount!!
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Be sure to get the student discount!!

i don't believe they give you a student discount for being in high school