I did it... I installed Panther...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    blixablixa Posts: 13member
    I'm pretty sure you can grab the file you want to drag, and then, while dragging it, alt-tab to make mail active.

Quote:

Originally posted by iconmaster

That would work, except Mail's viewer window is so huge that as soon as I switch to Mail to compose a message, I've lost even title bar access to all my Finder windows.

So what I need is a way to Exposé Mail out of the way, grab my file(s) from the Finder, then permit Mail back into view and drop the files. I suspect that may be beyond the current Exposé implementation.

Though, really, if Mail wouldn't insist on creating a separate new message for every file dropped on its dock icon, I wouldn't have any problem -- I could just drag a bunch of files onto the dock icon and have one message with multiple attachments. I wonder whether Panther Mail changes this, or affords a preference...?

• Reply 22 of 45
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Another install report:

Dual 450

1.5GB

2 internal IDE drives

internal SCSI jazz

external Formac firewire CDRW

external SCSI zip

iSight

airport card to DHCP-router to DSL modem

Keningston 5 button / scroll wheel mouse

I inserted disc1 of the WWDC panther preview and ran the install program. This asked for the admin password before rebooting from the cd. I chose the option to wipe the HD clean (the IDE slave). The installer was a bit sluggish but the first disc completed and auto-restarted the computer. Upon reboot, the second disc is requested. After inserting the disc and clicking continue a progress bar came up but the installer completely hung. So... reboot and try the second disc again. This time, it makes it part way through before hanging. Unfortunately, I never did get it to install even after stripping the machine to its stock hardware.

Solution: zap the pram and boot from jag

Not that i'm looking for trouble-shooting tips... just a heads up for anyone considering the WWDC preview.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by blixa

I'm pretty sure you can grab the file you want to drag, and then, while dragging it, alt-tab to make mail active.

YOU ARE A MAC GENIUS!!!

Thank you!
  • Reply 24 of 45
    should it be ok if one were to install the wwdc preview onto a seperate partition on the same hard drive as jaguar is installed?
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by chef ramen noodle

should it be ok if one were to install the wwdc preview onto a seperate partition on the same hard drive as jaguar is installed?

Ya.. that would work, but you'd have to lose all of your files to partition.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

I think Panther is far more worthy of the price tag than Jaguar ever was.

Barto

May I simply ask: why?
  • Reply 27 of 45
    valmadvalmad Posts: 49member
    I don't know if "Panther is far more worthy of the price tag than Jaguar ever was." but I am amused by all the people that are/do complain about paying for Panther (or Jaguar)......So you purchased a computer 1,2 or3 years ago and you were very happy at the time with your purchase. Then those bastards at apple came out with new machines that are faster, have better feature and a more upto date OS. But hang on, not only that, they say to all the people that have older machines, you can upgrade your older machine, and it will be faster, have more feature, it wan't be as good as a new machine , but it will be better than what you have now, and you have to pay us $129..... That is less than 10% (in most cases), of what you paid in the first place.... I only wish BMW were bastards just like Apple.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by valmad

I don't know if "Panther is far more worthy of the price tag than Jaguar ever was." but I am amused by all the people that are/do complain about paying for Panther (or Jaguar)......

Right, this is amusing, or perhaps sad, I don't know. It is not the point of my post. I would understand more easily something like "Panther is reasonably priced" but "Panther is far more worthy of the price tag than Jaguar ever was" is not justified by the feature set publicly available. I guess there are many things to find out in the final release. Could anyone give some hint? Barto? We don't even know if Panther is going to be a 64-bit operating system. Or I am missing something?
  • Reply 29 of 45
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yes. Perspective.

Some people feel that Panther's improvement over Jaguar are more than worth the cost, for them. You may not. So be it. Don't buy it, in that case. Ah, the wonders of capitalism and a free choice market.

Besides, we've been shown a small fraction of the expected feature set, so you're comparing a partial tiny list of Panther's features, against a fully known list of Jaguar's features... wait.

Additionally, it *might* be that one single feature in Panther is the *killer* feature that outweighs all the rest in Jaguar, and that would make it, again, worth more to some folks.

Counting bullet points on a feature list is a M$ tactic.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yes. Perspective.

Some people feel that Panther's improvement over Jaguar are more than worth the cost, for them. You may not. So be it. Don't buy it, in that case. Ah, the wonders of capitalism and a free choice market.

I think you are exaggerating a little Kickaha. I am not waiting to hear something like "Panther is far more worthy of the price tag than Jaguar ever was" in order to decide to buy it. On the contrary, I appreciate Apple's efforts to keep its OS regularly updated.

Quote:

Besides, we've been shown a small fraction of the expected feature set, so you're comparing a partial tiny list of Panther's features, against a fully known list of Jaguar's features... wait.

Exactly; by the way, in this DP, are there already other features not publicly known? Alright, I don't ask what other features .
  • Reply 31 of 45
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yes. Perspective.

Additionally, it *might* be that one single feature in Panther is the *killer* feature that outweighs all the rest in Jaguar, and that would make it, again, worth more to some folks.

Counting bullet points on a feature list is a M$ tactic.

Do you know what is also a MS tactic? The idea of trying to get people to pay an annual subscription for software. Many people here are against the idea. Thankfully, the idea fizzled out.

Now Apple is trying to get us to pay $130 a year for the upgraded OS. Yeah yeah, I have heard the "don't upgrade if you don't want to" argument but to me, Apple is pulling a MS-like move and we are surprisingly quiet about it.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by klinux

Do you know what is also a MS tactic? The idea of trying to get people to pay an annual subscription for software. Many people here are against the idea. Thankfully, the idea fizzled out.

Now Apple is trying to get us to pay $130 a year for the upgraded OS. Yeah yeah, I have heard the "don't upgrade if you don't want to" argument but to me, Apple is pulling a MS-like move and we are surprisingly quiet about it.

what the hell are you talking about... a M$ move would be to make anything less then 10.3 inoperable unless they pay a "tax" to get 10.3

when you pay $129 you get a new os, if you don't pay YOU DON'T LOSE ANYTHING

if you want to stick with 10.1 or 10.2 noone will stop you or cripple your machine until you do upgrade...

10.3 will be worth every penny.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

We don't even know if Panther is going to be a 64-bit operating system.

OK, this article says clearly that Panther will remain a 32-bit system.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    As a side note:

I took in my PowerBook to be repaired (broken latch) and the guy at the genius bar was shocked to see my computer was running 10.3. lol.. hehehe... anyways, on the repair form that they send along with the computer, it says X.3 as the operating system... hehehe....

-Bio - The first Panther-running-computer repair in the WORLD!!!!!!! ... most likely...
  • Reply 35 of 45
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bioflavonoid

As a side note:

I took in my PowerBook to be repaired (broken latch) and the guy at the genius bar was shocked to see my computer was running 10.3. lol.. hehehe... anyways, on the repair form that they send along with the computer, it says X.3 as the operating system... hehehe....

-Bio - The first Panther-running-computer repair in the WORLD!!!!!!! ... most likely...

You have no shame... or fear.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

You have no shame... or fear.

Nope!
  • Reply 37 of 45
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

May I simply ask: why?

It's about three times as fast.

And it has Exposé.

I get it free, but I'd pay $129 for three times as fast.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

what the hell are you talking about... a M$ move would be to make anything less then 10.3 inoperable unless they pay a "tax" to get 10.3

when you pay $129 you get a new os, if you don't pay YOU DON'T LOSE ANYTHING

if you want to stick with 10.1 or 10.2 noone will stop you or cripple your machine until you do upgrade...

So you can give us an example of an app/OS that must be upgraded when MS releases a new version?
  • Reply 39 of 45
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    if they switch to a subscription model for the os like they have been toying with the license for the software could expire each year... similar to "renting" software...

oh and many times if you upgrade one thing on a windows computer-say the OS you have to upgrade other applications in order for them to work properly... on X to my knowledge that is not the case... (of course classic is a special case, but you can still *boot* into classic on X, Microsoft does not allow this unless you have a separate partition and installation of an earlier version of windows...
  • Reply 40 of 45
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

if they switch to a subscription model for the os like they have been toying with the license for the software could expire each year... similar to "renting" software...

oh and many times if you upgrade one thing on a windows computer-say the OS you have to upgrade other applications in order for them to work properly... on X to my knowledge that is not the case... (of course classic is a special case, but you can still *boot* into classic on X, Microsoft does not allow this unless you have a separate partition and installation of an earlier version of windows...

But, with the new APIs of Jag, there are many programs that will run on 10.2 and not on 10.1, including many Apple apps.