Does anyone still believe the Cube will be revived?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

MWSF '04:

Single 1.6 GHz .09 G5

Original Cube enclosure (no official expansion or upgradeability)

2x Superdrive

$1,299.

Apple can't build 'em fast enough.

This is it.

I have a cube, but I remember when I bought it it was not an entirely rational decision. The cube was priced similarly to the low end tower, which was better. I really wanted something small, where I did not have to reach under the desk to pop in a CD. Something quiet. And I wanted a nice big 22" screen.

There is a market for this sort of box. And given the design of the new Powermac's (very workstationlike) I'm convinced that Apple will put out a box with more consumer appeal. Firewire 800 addresses one of the old cube problems. Add a large enough slot for a full-sized graphics card and another problem is addressed. Finally, stick the freakin plugs somewhere other than beneath the box and the final issue is resolved.

No consumer is going to stick one of the new Powermacs in their living room or kitchen (at least without some second thoughts.)
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:

MWSF '04:

Single 1.6 GHz .09 G5

Original Cube enclosure (no official expansion or upgradeability)

2x Superdrive

$1,299.

Apple can't build 'em fast enough.

That could be it... I like the price. The specs are okay.

Matsu's mini-tower idea has legs with limited expandability.

I see an equivalent scheme of Towers for the desktop as you have Powerbooks for the laptop.

Tower Dual G5. (Where the G5s are now.)

Mini-Tower Single G5. (Where the G4 Towers are now.)

iCube G4/G3+ (Where the eMacs are now. But EVEN lower.)

eMac/iMac2 can still be sold as an AIO alternative.

Interesting that Joswiak said on Macworld today that the G4 Tower 'consumer' initiative was NOT a short-term thing. It was for customers that wanted expandability at a cheaper price. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell. Whaddaya know?! I didn't think Apple's customers wanted that...so why are they offering it? Puzzled look.

Maybe WHEN the G5s get the speed bump early next year(?), those current G5 speed grades will move down hill into Matsu's 'Mini-Tower' range..?

I still think the iCube concept could scale from £499-£999 inc VAT. With the G4 becoming the G5's 'G3'.

I think Apple is fully aware that the sub' 500 mark is sizeable. A headless, cheap Mac is a must.

I think the Cube's time has finally come.

iCube. (G4, Cheap graphics card, onboard graphics.)

Mini-Tower. (G5, mildy expandable, not as much as Tower.)

Split the concept in two. One for prosumer. One for consumer.

There's plenty of room for a couple of 'Cubes' in Apple's masterplan.

It won't return quite as it was. Nothing 'new' Apple has done has returned in its original form.

So the 'original' Cube WILL stay on ice in that sense. It had too many flaws.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Hope, yes..

Believe, no...

• Reply 24 of 35
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I believe. I think it will happen at WWDC '04. We now know that Apple will debut hardware at confrences other that MacWorld. We all know thier current relationship. By then the towers will have gone far enough up to use the G5 without comprimising too many PM sales.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    You know, Macwhispers is still claiming that a new cube is coming.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

You know, Macwhispers is still claiming that a new cube is coming.

Anniversary style might gauge Cube's 'comeback' qualities.

Stick a G5 in it and I think you'd see it fly!

NOTE: Macworld is saying that the big seller is the Dual G5 not the other two towers! Intriguing. Suggesting that Apple has got the price slightly off for the lower two towers! The dual 2 gig is 3rd on the Apple store seller charts!

A G5 Cube machine where the G4 towers are now would fly!

Ahhhh...humbug...the next year can't come quick enough. It's all very exciting and slow at the same time. The more I see...the more I want...

Come on, Apple...ship those G5s!!!!

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 27 of 35
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I would love to see a return of the cube... I bought 2 for my office, but they ended up migrating back to my house, as they were just too cool (and quiet) for work! One took pride of place in my lounge and the other in my study. Awesome machines.

I sold them because of the upgrade 'situation'... they just couldn't really cut it next to some of the towers for intensive graphics stuff I was doing at the time. A week later the processor upgrade cards were introduced \

However, despite my love of the cube, I really think that they won't making a return any time soon... Apple won't relive past mistakes...
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

NOTE: Macworld is saying that the big seller is the Dual G5 not the other two towers! Intriguing. Suggesting that Apple has got the price slightly off for the lower two towers!

Or...Apple has the pricing just right on the lower two models because they are getting people to fork over more $$$$ for the high end.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    The "Enya" ad is intiguing. And the computer is what the Next Cube could be. The extremely thin monitor could be the Phillips flexible screen. Who knows? But if Apple ever put a system like that in a store, there wouldn't be enough mops to soak up the drools. Perhaps, there is a Cube coming after all... I'd buy this one for sure.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    No. There's a gap in the lineup, but not big enough for another product category. Apple won't make that mistake again. The iMac will be bumped to fill in the gap. Now that the G5 is in the PowerMacs, there's no good reason to leave the high-end G4s in the iMacs and even the eMacs. Wishing for the Cube to return is like wishing for locusts to come and eat Apple's crop.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    macwhispers.com is run by a con-artist who lives in Tennessee and has been whacked by many a Mac website. There's a virtual WANTED poster on this guy out there. If you want to waste your time go there.

If that guy Jack says there'll be the return of a Cube then that's proof enough for me that they WON'T do it.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

If the future is G5 which requires nine fans to cool it, how the heck are you going to fit that inside an 8" cube?

Regardless of whether a Cube will happen or not, PLEASE can we lay to rest this RUMOUR that the 970s need 9 fans. They bloody well don't!!!!

FCOL, go listen to the explanation. I am too tired to give it :-)
  • Reply 33 of 35
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

macwhispers.com is run by a con-artist who lives in Tennessee and has been whacked by many a Mac website. There's a virtual WANTED poster on this guy out there. If you want to waste your time go there.

If that guy Jack says there'll be the return of a Cube then that's proof enough for me that they WON'T do it.

He's Ryan Meader's father, in a Darth Vader/Luke kinda thing, I believe. One might not know the other exists, but one day they'll run into each other during an imaginary staff trip to a future WWDC, Jack will accidentally cut off Ryan's hand (don't ask how) and spill the whole sordid beans.

"David Pogue never told you what happened to your father, did he? Join me, and we'll rule the rumor sites as father and son...it is your DESTINY! Oh yeah, and quad G6 iPods are slated to ship next week, according to my sources...dig it!"

"There IS good in him...I felt it."
  • Reply 34 of 35
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

macwhispers.com is run by a con-artist who lives in Tennessee...

And, just for the record, it ain't me.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Anniversary style might gauge Cube's 'comeback' qualities.

Not if Apple prices them like their last Anniversary model, it was more rediculas than the original intro of the Cube. They only thing it might do is get some nice press, a lot of people saying "I would buy one, if it didnt cost $2200 USD for a single 1.6 mhz processor G5, for that price I could have a tower.

If they took the consumer model, came out with a limited edition "Cube" for $999-$1200 with an appropriate (1.4-1.6 mhz G4, 256 MB RAM [1.5 Gig RAM max.] 60 Gig HD, Combo drive [DVD burner optional], ATI 9000[options for the top of the line card as well]) CPU for the price, then I think it would sell, but people would still complain that it dosnt have a PCI slot, and that the optical drive is a slot loader.