Panther on G5 in August?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    nervnerv Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

At the keynote-fest in Atlanta, an Apple Store employee said that Panther and the new G5s would ship in August. When I asked him to clarify, he repeated what he said.

He could have been confused, or misinformed, or over-enthusiastic...but take it for what it's worth. Panther in August is a definite possibility.

-DCQ

He was confused. Jobs says Panther will be out by the end of the year, so that means Panther in August is a definite impossibility.

If you look at the software included with the G5, there's no mention of Panther. There's no mention of an up-to-date program either.

Unless there are tons of unmarked boxes in the back of the store, an Apple Store employee is not going to have an inside scoop.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    neumacneumac Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

First, a general word of warning: Retail people, generally, know nothing. It's not a criticism, it's just a fact. .

I had a nice chuckle this weekend. I was at an Apple Store chatting with a couple employees and asked if they had a firmer ship date for the G5 than just "August." One guy responded, no and that they usually know that new hardware is coming when someone knocks at the receiving door and says, "I've got a delivery for you."
  • Reply 23 of 33
    stratosfearstratosfear Posts: 150member
    It's better for us that Panther won't come out in August. Today we see too much software with a lots of bugs. I want bug free OS release. I don't want another MS Windows clone.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NerV

He was confused. Jobs says Panther will be out by the end of the year, so that means Panther in August is a definite impossibility.

Huh?!

Panther ships in Jul

Panther ships in Aug

Panther ships in Sep

Panther ships in Oct

Panther ships in Nov

Panther ships in Dec

Any of the above conditions would make the "Panther will be out by the end of the year" statement true. I'm just not quite sure how you can single out 'Panther ships in Aug' as being 'a definite impossibility' based on the keynote statement.

Dave
  • Reply 25 of 33
    snahabedsnahabed Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

As for the "expectations," Steve was as clear as he could have been that the features demo'd would ship with Panther, not the G5, and that people who purchased a G5 would get a coupon good for an upgrade to Panther - which wouldn't be necessary if the G5 shipped with it!

Woah there, back it up!

WHERE has it been said that people who buy G5 now get a Panther upgrade coupon? Frankly, I think this SHOULD be true, and I will not buy a G5 if Panther is not included. But I would definitely spring for a G5 earlier if I knew I could grab an upgrade CD from an Apple Store.

When I first saw the gorgeous Pro Card, I thought, naturally, that this was its very purpose. Why any pro user needs a genius to transfer files is beyond me, but anyway!
  • Reply 26 of 33
    nervnerv Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Huh?!

Panther ships in Jul

Panther ships in Aug

Panther ships in Sep

Panther ships in Oct

Panther ships in Nov

Panther ships in Dec

Any of the above conditions would make the "Panther will be out by the end of the year" statement true. I'm just not quite sure how you can single out 'Panther ships in Aug' as being 'a definite impossibility' based on the keynote statement.

There's no way you typed in that hair-splitting and condescending post expecting a serious response, but okay, I'll bite: Your premise is wrong, the "second half of the year" is different from the "end of the year."

If Steve thought he could get Panther out the door before the end of the summer, that's what he would've said at the keynote. If he thought he could get it out the door before the Thanksgiving, he would've said that. The RDF demands no less.

Now perhaps I was watching a different keynote, but I heard "end of the year" - which, if I'm not mistaken, comes nowhere near close to ending in August, thus the statement that Panther's arrival in August is an "impossibility."
  • Reply 27 of 33
    I'm sort of wondering what people are basing their reports of Panther barely being, or not yet being beta software on? I've been using Panther for a couple days now and not only is noticeabvly faster in most areas, but is also solid as a rock thus far. Admittedly a few features are obviously incomplete, but this thing would by all means be considered highly polished.

Further, it doesnt take all that long to press up CD's and boxes. I'm sure there's enough people in the prepress industry here to know that print production can be a pretty quick thing. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the boxes are already sitting in a preproduction department somewhere.

Not to say I have any inside info (other than a developer preview of 10.3), but I can say this doesn't have too far to go.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by COS

Having read otherwise, I assumed that he was thinking that Panther would come in August because the G5s were scheduled to arive in August.

While I can't discuss Panther, we have a hardware rep at Apple that we ordered our G5's through, and he stated they would not be shipping until September 2nd, and on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Also, one can deduce from MacOS X 10.2.7, which Apple has announced, that the machines will ship before Panther... for what it's worth.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    The G5s already have 10.2.7, it's in the bench mark specs. They are bug testing panther now so I don't see why it would take 4-5 months to squash some bugs. There aren't that many, panther is stable, fast and has all the features/apps ready to go. I'd be surprised if we didn't get panther by at least Sept-Oct.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    AUGUST !

SEPTEMBER !

DECEMBER !

The only one that I saw was in a statement from Apple stating that panther is due in September, with the G5's shipping with a version of jag updated for them.

Let me add that current Panther builds are looking faster than any other OS X build to date ! It's GOOOD.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

The G5s already have 10.2.7, it's in the bench mark specs. They are bug testing panther now so I don't see why it would take 4-5 months to squash some bugs.

Developer previews are not for bug testing.

When you start reading in the forums:

"Build 9K20 is out!" then a few days later,

"9K21 is out,"

"9K22" is out, is this the Final Candidate?"

"I believe it."

"No, you're wrong, it doesn't have grue-killer 2003 turned on."

That's when they're bug testing.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

Developer previews are not for bug testing.

When you start reading in the forums:

"Build 9K20 is out!" then a few days later,

"9K21 is out,"

"9K22" is out, is this the Final Candidate?"

"I believe it."

"No, you're wrong, it doesn't have grue-killer 2003 turned on."

That's when they're bug testing.

Mm, no. Apple has an active beta program for testing bugs. Ah, you can guess what current program they are testing for bugs.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    willywalloowillywalloo Posts: 408member
    AAAh yah. That's usually pretty interesting to follow.