Java Builder

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So what program do I use to create java apps in...JBuilder by borland seems nice but well it costs money...what are my free options?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Project Builder?
  • Reply 2 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    oh does that do it, i havn't used it yet
  • Reply 3 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    pico/nano
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Hydra + Terminal (javac and java)

That's what I use.

IDEs are for pansies.

BTW, JBuilder Personal is free but Borland has removed the download link for Mac OS X from its site because the executable dies under 1.4.1. I do have a workaround, though, to launch it properly via the terminal with 1.4.1. However, I should note that JBuilder is crap.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    I tend to avoid IDEs. They are big and cumbersome. They get in the way. They hide things from me. They are more trouble than good.

I tend to use vim as an editor (though I am trying to get e93 up and running on my Mac http://www.e93.org ). Ant. JUnit. Jikes.

That is all the IDE I need.

That said, if you must...try Eclipse... http://www.eclipse.org

Not bad as IDEs go.

JBuilder is horrible.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I used BBEdit and Terminal, or even TextEdit and Terminal.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    haha well i'm not sure what i'll use (i'll try everything )...though i do wonder how to make a GUI that conforms with apple's standards while just writing the code (i have just finished the preface on my java book so be nice!)

after this comes cocoa in hopes i'll one day be able to create a real program capable of doing something
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

though i do wonder how to make a GUI that conforms with apple's standards while just writing the code

You don't. GUIs should NOT be created by "writing code". InterfaceBuilder is the correct approach for that sort of thing.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

You don't. GUIs should NOT be created by "writing code". InterfaceBuilder is the correct approach for that sort of thing.

...eh i have a lot to learn about java, hopefull the book exlpains about combining it with a GUI
  • Reply 10 of 27
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    out of curiosity...where would i be able to get jBuilder?

and what should i use to compile my java apps (stupid cd didn't come with stuff for os x)
  • Reply 12 of 27
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    You may be able to get a copy of the Personal Edition off the Borland site, not sure if an OS X version exists.

As for compiling java files, you can just use the terminal... javac to compile, java to run a program.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    honestly i'd just like a simple java editor so taht i can click a button and it compiles for me and runs so i can see

i know its stupid but i like strait foward things...specially since i think it will be quicker to hit a button then type javac
  • Reply 14 of 27
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

pico/nano

You mean VI!!!!

Hey ast3r3x, you get bored of PHP already?
  • Reply 15 of 27
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

honestly i'd just like a simple java editor so taht i can click a button and it compiles for me and runs so i can see

i know its stupid but i like strait foward things...specially since i think it will be quicker to hit a button then type javac

Try JJEdit
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.
  • Reply 17 of 27

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

if Eclipse was free I might go with that instead

It is.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    haha screw java for now...my cocoa book will get here next week and i'd like to learn that first anyways

thank you for all you responses, but i am thinking i shouldn't try learning two langauges at once

i did get all (well almost all) of the suggestions to work, and i want to thank everyoen again very much for you helpfulness

unless there are further questions this thread can die a slow and horrific death of slowly fading into the dead thread sea
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

unless there are further questions this thread can die a slow and horrific death of slowly fading into the dead thread sea

I have a further question: has anyone successfully managed to preverify and compile a J2ME midlet on osx?

if so how and with what?

ps: vi rocks my world