Should I buy an eMac?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot I now have a 1.25GHz PowerMac G4, and it's fantastic. It is much faster than the eMac, and a far better value IMO. I can attach whatever display I feel like to it, install a SuperDrive in the second bay later on if I want, and it's a piece of cake to drop in another HD if I run out of room...

OMG...like you're actually going to HAVE it long enough to do ANY of those things to it? Have you forgotten who you are for a moment?

Wait a minute...where is murbot, and what have you done with the body?!?

• Reply 22 of 24
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    System was a gateway at the local costco. They also had a P4 2.8 with a 533FSB and smaller HDD and weaker gfx, but also with DVD burning for 1999 Canadian. And some nice HP units to with similar specs (ALL had 17" LCD's!!!) for 1899, but with combo drive only, actually, DVD plus FAST CDrw, but the same diff, really.

I fail to see how an eMac is more powerful by virue of some OSX/iApp goodness. It's good, but so is the PC stuff.

I actually find iPhoto more of a pain in the ass than PC equivalents. Especially the way it deals with your pics.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    reccerecce Posts: 6member
    I can understand why everyone is saying to go for the G5, since it's the newest thing, but I have a G4 eMac, 800mhz, 768mb of ram, 60gb hard drive with superdrive and it's great for me. I use it quite a bit for editing(feature and short length). Even with the memory full, it runs smooth. I haven't really noticed any harshness with the screen. Possibly cause i went from a crappy screen to the eMac screen, so it was a hell of a step up, but it doesn't bother me. For the uses you've described, I think eMac would suit you very well. It has the bells and whistles for cheap.

My system set me back approx. 2500$ CAN. with an extra 512mb of ram and a printer. But that was before they lowered the prices, so it would probly set you back a little less.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    bokapbokap Posts: 19member
    A friend of mine offered me his 1ghz dual G4 with 3,80 gig hds, and over 1 gig of memory. It comes with superdrive but I'm not sure if it 2x or 4x. Also it has a 19"Viewsonic crt.

He wants $1500. I know this would be far better than the Emac but if I'm going to spend $1500 does it make more sense to pay $2000 and get the 1.6 G5.

Again all I really use my computer for is internet,Photoshop and iMovie.

Bob