the death penalty

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i am not very active on the boards, but would like some comments from this community.

my neighbor was shot and killed not two weeks ago in a domestic situation. the suspect is in custody and there is little doubt of his guilt. i think they will seek the death penalty.

i also read that he is being kept in isolation and watched closely because he is suicidal. what does that death penalty accomplish then if it gives this man what he wants?

the whole situaion is ugly and saddens me. she was a kind, awesome neighbor that i could not heap enough praise upon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    old thread on the subject: just for reference of course....

My opinion? A person isn't thinking about the fact that they could be put to death if they get caught when they are committing a crime... or if they are-they don't care... a death sentence is just as bad as life in prison... so what is the difference? why kill possibly innocent people?
  • Reply 2 of 72
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Sorry about your loss.

As for the situation, someone suicidal wouldn't necessarily want to be killed by someone else. That takes the control away from themself and dilutes their original message/point.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    The death penalty isn't about revenge or deterence; it is about justice. Putting someone in prison and treating them like an animal for the rest of his life isn't justice. And yes, I think putting him to death is the more honest, humane thing and satisfies justice.

I think the prison system is a godless, evil way of treating people.
  • Reply 4 of 72
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Ever wonder if in some alternate reality there's something called the "life penalty" -- and if we all screwed up really badly to end up here sentenced to life? \
  • Reply 5 of 72
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fangorn

The death penalty isn't about revenge or deterence; it is about justice. Putting someone in prison and treating them like an animal for the rest of his life isn't justice. And yes, I think putting him to death is the more honest, humane thing and satisfies justice.

I think the prison system is a godless, evil way of treating people.

I agree with most of this. Unfortunately (especially here in Illinois) they make too many mistakes to trust an absolute system like death. I also agree that the prison system is a mess, but it should be fixed rather than 'skipped over' by just killing people....
  • Reply 6 of 72
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Why the hell should the penal system be humane to murderers?
  • Reply 7 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

the eighth amendment
  • Reply 8 of 72
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

1) Constitutional prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment.

2) Not all people in prison are murderers, yet they are all thrown into the same hell, violent and non-violent alike. It would be much better, and much more constitutional, if the main punishment of prison was deprivation of freedom and boredom, rather than the threat of being knifed or raped by your fellow inmates -- the worst of whom are rewarded for their greater violence rather than being penalized for it in the current system.

3) No matter how emotionally satisfying it might be to see those who commit crimes suffer greatly for their crimes, I think it's best to take advantage of institutional constructs to put a barrier between private rage and public actions. The goal of the penal system should be isolation of dangerous individuals and deterence against future crime. Sheer vengeance for the sake of vengeance is not something a civilized people should want to institutionalize.
  • Reply 9 of 72
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I was kidding. Sorry.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

heh heh

you said penal
  • Reply 11 of 72
    you know why they call it the penal system, don't you?

all the free anal-rape you can handle.

(norm macdonald)
  • Reply 12 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I agree with most of this. Unfortunately (especially here in Illinois) they make too many mistakes to trust an absolute system like death. I also agree that the prison system is a mess, but it should be fixed rather than 'skipped over' by just killing people....

Let me clarify: I wouldn't kill everyone who would normally go to prison. But some crimes, when proven beyond a doubt, should certainly result in death.

And there are other options besides throwing people behind bars; it's not an either/or situation.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    Quote:

Pesky First Commandment.
  • Reply 14 of 72
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Criminals need to be separated into two categories...those that can be rehabilitated and those that can't. Rapists, murderers, repeat offenders of serious violent crimes, and other criminals of the same ilk simply should be excised from society completely. They get free room and board and as many books as they would like to read for the rest of their natural lives.

Now, those who don't fall into the above category of the socially unfit must be placed into an entirely different system. They must all work to repay their debt to society. More importantly, they must learn or advance a skill that will benefit society, whether it is studying for and earning a degree or learning how to weld something. They must spend 30 hours each week working various jobs which will fund another 30 hours per week of mandatory skill set enhancement.

Oh yeah, all victimless crimes are decriminalized as well.

That, class, is how we must revamp our penal system so that it accomplishes something(yes, I said penal chuckle everyone).
  • Reply 15 of 72
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I agree with BR.

Although that sort of system would be very hard to implement and would not be popular politically at this time.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Criminals need to be separated into two categories...those that can be rehabilitated and those that can't. Rapists, murderers, repeat offenders of serious violent crimes, and other criminals of the same ilk simply should be excised from society completely. They get free room and board and as many books as they would like to read for the rest of their natural lives.

Now, those who don't fall into the above category of the socially unfit must be placed into an entirely different system. They must all work to repay their debt to society. More importantly, they must learn or advance a skill that will benefit society, whether it is studying for and earning a degree or learning how to weld something. They must spend 30 hours each week working various jobs which will fund another 30 hours per week of mandatory skill set enhancement.

Oh yeah, all victimless crimes are decriminalized as well.

That, class, is how we must revamp our penal system so that it accomplishes something(yes, I said penal chuckle everyone).

Sorry, but rape is definitely one of those crimes I think should get the death penalty. And you know, when I talk to women who have been raped, they tend to agree.

And there is no justice in the system you just described. Revenge maybe. But no justice.

How is it humane to kick someone out of society for the rest of their natural lives. "Here, we won't kill you, but we will torment you for the rest of your lives." Even if the torture isn't physical, it is emotional and mental. And they are something other than human.

And I'd really like to hear how the heck you define a "victimless" crime. And who is going to decide whether or not a crime as victims? If a man commits suicide and leaves his wife and children loaded with his debts, is the crime "victimless?"

Justice isn't about dehumanizing people and getting revenge. It is about restoration. It's about making things right. Shutting people out isn't justice. If that's how you handle things--shut people out and cast them off--I hope you don't have any kids.
  • Reply 17 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Pesky First Commandment.

"I am the Lord thy God who brought the out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

I'm sorry. I fail to see the connection.
  • Reply 18 of 72
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    looks like pat robertson believes in the death penalty. (even for those not in prison.)

• Reply 19 of 72
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Sorry, but rape is definitely one of those crimes I think should get the death penalty. And you know, when I talk to women who have been raped, they tend to agree.

And there is no justice in the system you just described. Revenge maybe. But no justice.

How is it humane to kick someone out of society for the rest of their natural lives. "Here, we won't kill you, but we will torment you for the rest of your lives." Even if the torture isn't physical, it is emotional and mental. And they are something other than human.

And I'd really like to hear how the heck you define a "victimless" crime. And who is going to decide whether or not a crime as victims? If a man commits suicide and leaves his wife and children loaded with his debts, is the crime "victimless?"

Justice isn't about dehumanizing people and getting revenge. It is about restoration. It's about making things right. Shutting people out isn't justice. If that's how you handle things--shut people out and cast them off--I hope you don't have any kids.

I don't see how you gather revenge from what I described. It merely excises those people who cannot function in society from society and rehabilitates those that can be trained to function in society.

Victimless crimes include prostitution, taking drugs, gambling, and other such crimes where the rights of consenting adults are restricted because nosey pricks think their morals are superior.

Quote:

Sorry, but rape is definitely one of those crimes I think should get the death penalty.

Perhaps. Unfortunately, with rape, there are those men that are the victims of buyer's remorse in which the female wakes up next to a guy she doesn't remember because she voluntarily got intoxicated and then files rape charges. I am not saying this is the majority of rape cases. I am saying that such circumstances are possible. You leave no room for error when you execute someone. If used at all, it should be reserved for only the most heinous murders or possibly rapes with a mountain of physical evidence. Definitely need to have more than he-said she-said.

Quote:

And you know, when I talk to women who have been raped, they tend to agree.

Ya think? THEY WERE RAPED! OF COURSE THEY WANT THEIR RAPISTS DEAD! THAT IS REVENGE TALKING! Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus! You say that my system is all about revenge (when it really is further from that than anything else) and yet you bring up this shockingly stupid argument?
  • Reply 20 of 72
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

heh heh

you said penal

Heh Heh

Shut up beavis!

*SLAP!*